A pop-up LdP-English dictionary available!

  • lingwadeplaneta
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2011
      Ye hao habar, amigas!

      Konstantin Stolyarov has compiled a handy pop-up LdP-English dictionary. Or should I name it a prompting dictionary? Anyway, the trick is, when you hover your mouse over a word, a translation of this word into English appears nearby instantly. The dictionary contains all entries of the published LdP-English dictionary, it's a result of 4 months work by Konstantin. The dictionary is very handy indeed and should make reading LdP texts much easier for the English speakers and those knowing English.

      The program is called QDictionary. It is free to use, very simple and requires no installation, i.e. it works immediately.

      The file Q-LdP-En.zip is downloadable from here:
      http://lingwadeplaneta.info/files/Q-LdP-En.zip

      This zip-file contains a folder named "LdP-En". Unzip it to any place you like. Inside this folder you will see the file Qdictionary.exe, with a round red icon. Click it twice. Don't worry, I tried it on three computers without any harm resulting. Well, actually that's all – it works already! Now open a page with text in LdP in Internet Explorer (oh yes, unfortunately it works only in IE. Anyway, not in Firefox), or with Notepad (I noticed that it works also in Notepad, but not in Word). And enjoy instant translations of words over which your mouse is hovering.
      I recommend you to read the story about Raterford in such way, if you haven't yet tried to do it.

      There is also the LdP-Russian dictionary available:
      http://lingwadeplaneta.info/files/Q-LdP-Rus.zip

      To halt instant translations, click the QDictionary icon which has appeared down on the tray once, it becomes colorless. To exit the program, right-button-click the same icon and select the nearest option. The interface is in Russian, I am not sure that there exists an English shell. But you don't have to do anything difficult.

      This is the first version of the QDictionary for Lidepla. It is not ideal but it already may be very useful. We will improve it. Any English speaker is welcome to help improve it, giving better definitions for example. The file LdP.dic which contains definitions is in plain text format, so there is no problem editing it. We should only make an agreement who edits it first, lest several people do it at the same time.

      I wish we had also a similar English-LdP dictionary. But that is a very big work and I think we'll need help of a native speaker to compile it.

      On the basis of this dictionary others may be created: LdP-Spanish, LdP-Italian, whatever.

      Gro-danke a Konstantin!

      Swasti!

      Dmitri
    • stedawa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2013
        I tried to get the Qdictionary.exe to run. I double clicked and then hovered over Lidepla word, but nothing popped up. Qdictionary.exe is running bekoz I checked with ctrl-alt-delete task manager. Did I do something wrong?
        stedawa

        --- In lingwadeplaneta@yahoogroups.com, "lingwadeplaneta"
        > The program is called QDictionary. It is free to use, very simple and requires no installation, i.e. it works immediately.
        >
        > The file Q-LdP-En.zip is downloadable from here:
        > http://lingwadeplaneta.info/files/Q-LdP-En.zip
        >
        > This zip-file contains a folder named "LdP-En". Unzip it to any place you like. Inside this folder you will see the file Qdictionary.exe, with a round red icon. Click it twice. Don't worry, I tried it on three computers without any harm resulting. Well, actually that's all – it works already! Now open a page with text in LdP in Internet Explorer (oh yes, unfortunately it works only in IE. Anyway, not in Firefox), or with Notepad (I noticed that it works also in Notepad, but not in Word). And enjoy instant translations of words over which your mouse is hovering.
        > I recommend you to read the story about Raterford in such way, if you haven't yet tried to do it.
        > Gro-danke a Konstantin!
        >
        > Swasti!
        >
        > Dmitri

      • lingwadeplaneta
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2013

          Did you try doing it with Internet Explorer or Notepad? Qdictionary doesn't work with other browsers or text editors.