New searchbox for searching dictionaries

  • lingwadeplaneta
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2010
      We've added a new searchbox (Google Custom Search) to the homepage of the site. It searches all available dictionaries (LdP-English, LdP-Esperanto, LdP-Russian, Russian-LdP and the multilingual one) for words that you input. I hope this will be of help in searching words.

      Swasti!
    • lingwadeplaneta
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
        Besides the system for searching dictionaries:
        http://lingwadeplaneta.info/en/grammar.shtml

        there is now a special system for searching texts:
        http://lingwadeplaneta.info/en/texts.shtml

        It is useful to see the examples of usage of a word in texts.

        The engine so far works not in the best way, but we're trying to improve it.

        --- In lingwadeplaneta@yahoogroups.com, "lingwadeplaneta" <lingwadeplaneta@...> wrote:

        > We've added a new searchbox (Google Custom Search) to the homepage of the site. It searches all available dictionaries (LdP-English, LdP-Esperanto, LdP-Russian, Russian-LdP and the multilingual one) for words that you input. I hope this will be of help in searching words.
        >
        > Swasti!

      • Carlos Andrés Solís
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
          Thanks! Now searching will be a bit easier from now on.
          - Carlos Solís

          PS: Still I don't get why to pronounce "v" like an u. As far as I'm concerned only Classic Latin did that.

          2010/2/15 lingwadeplaneta <lingwadeplaneta@...>

          Besides the system for searching dictionaries:
          http://lingwadeplaneta.info/en/grammar.shtml

          there is now a special system for searching texts:
          http://lingwadeplaneta.info/en/texts.shtml

          It is useful to see the examples of usage of a word in texts.

          The engine so far works not in the best way, but we're trying to improve it.

          --- In lingwadeplaneta@yahoogroups.com, "lingwadeplaneta" <lingwadeplaneta@...> wrote:

          > We've added a new searchbox (Google Custom Search) to the homepage of the site. It searches all available dictionaries (LdP-English, LdP-Esperanto, LdP-Russian, Russian-LdP and the multilingual one) for words that you input. I hope this will be of help in searching words.
          >
          > Swasti!

        • lingwadeplaneta
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
            --- In lingwadeplaneta@yahoogroups.com, Carlos Andrés Solís <csolisr@...> wrote:

            > Thanks! Now searching will be a bit easier from now on.
            > - Carlos Solís
            >
            > PS: Still I don't get why to pronounce "v" like an u. As far as I'm
            > concerned only Classic Latin did that.

            It's not [u] but [w] (in IPA), and the bilabial approximant that sounds in Spanish "por favor" or "lava" is also welcome:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilabial_approximant

            And actually no harm results if somebody says [v].
          • Carlos Andrés Solís
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
              Ah, okay, then, thanks very much. Maybe I didn't read the update on the pronunciation of "v" and "w".
              - Carlos Solís

              2010/2/15 lingwadeplaneta <lingwadeplaneta@...>

              --- In lingwadeplaneta@yahoogroups.com, Carlos Andrés Solís <csolisr@...> wrote:

              > Thanks! Now searching will be a bit easier from now on.
              > - Carlos Solís
              >
              > PS: Still I don't get why to pronounce "v" like an u. As far as I'm
              > concerned only Classic Latin did that.

              It's not [u] but [w] (in IPA), and the bilabial approximant that sounds in Spanish "por favor" or "lava" is also welcome:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilabial_approximant

              And actually no harm results if somebody says [v].

            • Attilio Liotto
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010

                ”PS: Still I don't get why to pronounce "v" like an u. As far as I'm concerned only Classic Latin did that.”

                 (Ma io non capisco perché pronunciare "V" come un “U”. Per quanto mi riguarda solo latino classico che lo ha fatto).

                Io non solo non lo capisco ma per me è una cosa assurda e spero che molti protestino, affinché questa pronuncia venga differenziata:

                “w” sia ponuciato “U” breve come in “Europa” e com “W” in “West”. (come attualmente)

                “V” sia pronuciato “V” come in “Volt, Vivaldi, Victory”.

                Spero che siano molti a protestare per L’attuale indistinta e assurda pronuncia

                amiganem

                Attilio

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 16, 2010
                  --- In lingwadeplaneta@yahoogroups.com, Attilio Liotto <attilio.liotto@...> wrote:

                  > "PS: Still I don't get why to pronounce "v" like an u. As far as I'm
                  > concerned only Classic Latin did that."
                  >
                  > (Ma io non capisco perché pronunciare "V" come un "U". Per quanto mi
                  > riguarda solo latino classico che lo ha fatto).
                  >

                  > Io non solo non lo capisco ma per me è una cosa assurda e spero che molti
                  > protestino, affinché questa pronuncia venga differenziata:
                  >
                  > "w" sia ponuciato "U" breve come in "Europa" e com "W" in "West". (come
                  > attualmente)
                  >
                  > "V" sia pronuciato "V" come in "Volt, Vivaldi, Victory".

                  There is no problem if you pronounce it like this. It won't lead to any misunderstandings. Just don't make it obligatory for everyone to make the distinction, let those who want it to do without [v].

                  > Spero che siano molti a protestare per L'attuale indistinta e assurda
                  > pronuncia

                  I can expect that, given diversity of speaking habits, there inevitably will be regional variations in pronunciation. They are OK as long as they don't lead to misunderstandings.

                  Swasti!

                  Dmitry