Re: [lincolnknitters] Saturday Program

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 12, 2007
      Re: [lincolnknitters] Saturday Program I can't offer much in the way of finishing. All I've ever seamed is a hat!

      What about the three needle bind off? Mary Ellen says she uses that for sweaters a lot. I'd be interested in learning more about that.

      Mary Pat, I would love to learn the i-cord techniques, but if I'm the only one, we can wait until I've got a project going and you can show me then.

      Julie

      The topic for this Saturday is finishing.

      If you have any questions about a finishing technique please post it and we'll see if someone will teach it.  Jane from our Wilderness Perk group attended Stitches West and I asked her to demo something that she learned there.  She said she would even share some hand outs.

      Please let me know if there is any interest in learning the applied I-Cord and/or the attach I-Cord.  I can demo this but if you would also like to try it  ring a piece of knitting about two inches long with about 20 stitches still on the needle.  Also, bring a four inch square of knitting that is bound off.  If no one posts an interest in doing this - I won't go to the trouble of knitting up examples.

      I will also bring two books from my library that I think are good finishing references.  "The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques" by Nancie M. Wiseman and "I Hate to Finish Sweaters Guide to Finishing Sweaters" by Janet Szabo.  If anyone else has books in their library that they like to use for finishing techniques please bring them along.

      Hope of see a big group there Saturday.  As always please come for lunch and knitting even if you have no interest in the topic.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 12, 2007

        I would be happy to lead a discussion on how to pick up sts around neck edges to work a collar. I hate it when patterns say “pick up 56 sts along neck edge” because that tells you nothing of how to know where to pick them up, and once you pick up what seems right to y

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2007

          I am working a jacket for myself right now where I am using the i-cord for all edges (in fact, I will probably be working on the i-cord when we get together Saturday). I can bring my swatch showing var

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2007
            I will ask Mary Ellen if she is coming Saturday and ask her to show the three needle bind off.  If she isn't I'll show it.  Do actually practice on this bring along a two pieces of knitting about 2 inches long and about ten to twenty stitches left on the needles.  Remember with the three needle bind off you need three needles the same size.    When doing straight knitting on circular needles I often wrap half so half the stitches are on each side then use a third needle to bind off - clear as mud?  I will show you.

            mp

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2007
              That's fine Tana - just show them.

              mp

              I am working a jacket for myself right now where I am using the i-cord for all edges (in fact, I will probably be working on the i-cord when we get together Saturday). I can bring my swatch showing various ways of doing it (while knitting and knitting it while binding off and knitting it onto the finished edges – all three are shown on the humble little swatch floating around my knitting bag at the moment). So I would be happy to provide this project and my swatch as examples to save Mary Pat the trouble of knitting them up (unless she knows of other ways of doing it that I have not mentioned) and to participate in a discussion of this technique as well.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
                Hi everyone. Sorry, I've been house-hunting in Michigan, so I
                haven't been online for a few days. I'm going to show the short-row
                technique that you can use to eliminate that "stair-step" effect when
                shaping collars and shoulders on a sweater. They gave us handouts
                and I will bring copies of those, too.

                Where is the meeting Saturday? I need directions, as I've only been
                to Wilderness Perk.

                --- In lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Pat Miller"

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
                  Re: [lincolnknitters] Re: Saturday Program Here's the google map. You should be able to get directions from this. Let me know if you need anything more specific.

                  http://www.google.com/maps?q=3751+Faulkner+Dr,+Lincoln,+NE+68516&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

                  Glad you're coming on Saturday!

                  Julie

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
                    Jane (and all others who are joining us for the first time on Saturday):

                    We meet at the clubhouse at the Colony Apartments at S. 40th St. and Faulkner Drive.  From the intersection of Old Cheney and 40th, come south through the light at Duxhall and turn right at the next street which is Faulkner.  The second driveway is the entrance to the apartment complex (there's a brick sign).  Come straight up the drive and the clubhouse will be directly in front of you.  Parking lot is on the right side of the clubhouse.  We'll be there at 12:00.  See you then!