Re: [lincolnknitters] Trivia

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
      Maybe I am holding the yarn incorrectly, too.  Barb, will you show me how you figured out how to do it?  It's not that I can't knit continental---it's that my tension is so much tighter so it must be how I've wound the yarn through my fingers.

      On 3/12/07, Barbara McCall <barbmccall@...> wrote:

      This last weekend, I figured out why it is (was) so hard for me to
      knit continental style....I was holding the yarn improperly!
      Also, I am experimenting with rubbing silicone spray on my Denise
      needle cords to make the stitches slide more easily. So far, so good
      on this one. For a true test, I cast on 302 stitches using the size 5
      tips and wool yarn. This is the start of khaki Cables, Knitters
      Winter 2006. And yes, I am going to try to knit this sweater all
      continental.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
        I know this is a really old post, but I just got back from Minnesota and I am just now reading it. I attempted to knit a sweater using the continental style and my stitches are so loose that the resulting fabric looked awful. And my wrist bothered my very much--not while I was knitting--but later. I am hopeful to make the next Wilderness Perk knitting group, so I will watch all of you "continental knitters" and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong. I do think it would be much faster if I ever got the hang of it.
        Joanne

        On 3/12/07, Barbara McCall <barbmccall@alltel. net> wrote:
        This last weekend, I figured out why it is (was) so hard for me to
        knit continental style....I was holding the yarn improperly!
        Also, I am experimenting with rubbing silicone spray on my Denise
        needle cords to make the stitches slide more easily. So far, so good
        on this one. For a true test, I cast on 302 stitches using the size 5
        tips and wool yarn. This is the start of khaki Cables, Knitters
        Winter 2006. And yes, I am going to try to knit this sweater all
        continental.

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
          Re: [lincolnknitters] Trivia You know, it might just be using different muscles. I tried the combination method because my wrists were getting easily fatigued with holding Mirabella. The combination method is supposed to be easier on the wrists, but I found it more uncomfortable than what I was doing before.

          Maybe it's like riding a bike at the gym for months and months and then switching to the treadmill. Your still using your same muscles, just in a different way. That's what makes them sore.

          Am I being too philosophical for a Friday night?

          Julie

          p.s. has anyone else tried the combination method?

          http://www.anniemodesitt.com/
          http://www.grumperina.com/knitting.htm

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007
            I just wanted to add for Joanne's sake that knittinghelp.com has a
            great video of continental knitting that she can check out before we
            get together again. I learned from watching it. Before that, I threw
            the yarn, albeit very, very slowly.

            Either that, or she can come see me one Saturday afternoon when it's
            nice out, and we can sit on my front porch swing like the knitting
            fools we are and I'll teach her then and there. 'Cause you know
            Milford isn't that far from Seward... <poke poke>

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2007

              I originally learned how to throw, then re-taught myself how to knit continental. Last July I switched over to combination. At first my wrists hurt really bad with combination…and I had the same opinion of it as you, Julie…that it might be just getting used to it, but once I figured out the correct hand motions (not just getting the yarn on the needle), I have much less trouble with wrist pain because it’s actually a lot less movement tha

              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 25, 2007
                My problem in knitting this way, either the combined or continental, is that my right wrist moves a lot more than when I use the English method (throwing the yarn) and that irritates the tendinitis in my wrist. I will be sure to watch all of you continental and/or combined knitters, but I think I am doing it just like the video on knittinghelp.
                Joanne

                Be a PS3 game guru.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 25, 2007

                  Now that I’m feeling better and thinking clearer…

                  When I knit continental, knitting was easy, purling was kind of awkward – I had to move my left index finger down in order to get the right tension in order to do a purl stitch. When I switched to combined, like Julie said, my hands really hurt. But once I started doing the purl sts with the same hand motion as my knit sts – except with the yarn in front and running through the st in the opposite direction – I had no pain. Not mov

                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)