yarn winder/swift?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2005
      yarn winder/swift? Hi fellow knitters,

      I am thinking of treating myself to a ball winder for Christmas. Any recommendations? Do you think I should splurge and get a swift, too? Are there any places in Lincoln that carry them or am I better off ordering online?

      Christy, you mentioned that you have one that you love. Can you tell me more?

      Thanks in advance!

      Julie
    • Patsy Anderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2005
        yarn winder/swift?
        Julie I bought the ball winder and swift. I ordered mine from www.TheKnittner.com She is out of the Denver area. What is nice is that she doesn't charge shipping nor do you have to pay sales tax. I have had no problems ordering from Judy.

        Patsy

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
            yarn winder/swift?

            I got mine online. I would definitely recommend having both. You will not be sorry! If you have just the ball winder, you really need to have another pair of hands to hold the yarn, but with a swift, you can wind yarn however and whenever you want. With a swift you can also take your yarn out of “cakes” and put it back into skeins, which is better for long-term storage. You can also use a swift to measure how much yarn you have left – open it up so it measures 36” and then tie the end of your yarn to it and wind your yarn into a skein – count how many times you spin the swift and that will tell you how many yards of yarn you have. Very, very handy! I don’t think I could live without both!