Re: wool question

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

      That was garbled.

      She handwashed THEM herself.  Sheez.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hi Julie,

        Mary Ellen can describe a very good washing method.  It involves putting the it item in a pillow case and putting a tight knot in the case so that the sweater cannot move around - that is as much as I remember but Mary Ellen can explain the rest.

        I have recently read that dry cleaning is not good for wool sweaters, but like you that was what I have done for years.

        mp

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

          I think you just use the pillow case like that instead of buying a “sweater bag” to wash your sweaters in. Then you can put it in the washing machine using the handwash cycle…theoretically. I’ve done that with good luck with some wool and other wool has still felted using that method. When in doubt, I would just soak it in the machine or in a sink and then spin it dry using the most gentle cycle in the washer (that way it won’t take days and days to dry) – by skipping the agitation you pretty much skip the risk of felting. It’s a lot easier than washing wool by hand.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

            Also, I use those stackable mesh drying racks instead of putting them on towels so both sides get some air at the same time.  Tana, you're right---the downside is how long they can take to dry.