Saturday at Wilderness Perk

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

      I am planning to be at WP this Saturday.  I will have the forms for new/renew memberships for TKGA at the (slightly) discounted rate of $25, if anyone wants one. (Amy, I know you do.)  Julie, are you planning to stop by?  I've got a little something for you.  :)

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
        Re: [lincolnknitters] Saturday at Wilderness Perk I'm planning to be there. I got my days all confused. I though this was the noon meeting this week. Glad you mentioned the Perk or I'd be hanging out at your clubhouse wondering where everyone was.

        j.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

          Oh, good!  I'm glad you're coming.  Or at least planning to come.  And I'm glad I mentioned WP.  Gotta spell things out for these new mothers who have lots on their minds (and the "old" mothers who are losing theirs!!)

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
            wool question Hey ladies...

            Last year I bought what I thought was a very nice wool cardigan from Banana Republic. Two things: it is getting pilled all over and Mirabella spit up on it yesterday.

            -can anyone recommend a good sweater shaver? mine is old and the blade is dull.
            -do I have to take this to the dry cleaner or now that I have wool wash and know how to block can I just wash it myself?

            The second question also goes for my other wool sweaters. Can I just wash them myself now and reduce my drycleaning bill?

            julie
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

              My very first knitting teacher (her name was Annie Hall!) said that she NEVER took wool sweaters to the dry cleaner.  She handwashed herself them at the end of each winter season.  She thought it was a kinder, better way to clean them than without dry cleaning chemicals.  She's probably right.  I think you can handwash at home any 100% wool sweater.  The silk ones and other fibers probably should be left to the "experts."

              I use one of those shaving "stones".  I think I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond.  It seems to work pretty well, though it does have a strange odor (that quickly goes away) as you use it.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

                That was garbled.

                She handwashed THEM herself.  Sheez.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
                  Hi Julie,

                  Mary Ellen can describe a very good washing method.  It involves putting the it item in a pillow case and putting a tight knot in the case so that the sweater cannot move around - that is as much as I remember but Mary Ellen can explain the rest.

                  I have recently read that dry cleaning is not good for wool sweaters, but like you that was what I have done for years.

                  mp

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

                    I think you just use the pillow case like that instead of buying a “sweater bag” to wash your sweaters in. Then you can put it in the washing machine using the handwash cycle…theoretically. I’ve done that with good luck with some wool and other wool has still felted using that method. When in doubt, I would just soak it in the machine or in a sink and then spin it dry using the most gentle cycle in the washer (that way it won’t take days and days to dry) – by skipping the agitation you pretty much skip the risk of felting. It’s a lot easier than washing wool by hand.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

                      Also, I use those stackable mesh drying racks instead of putting them on towels so both sides get some air at the same time.  Tana, you're right---the downside is how long they can take to dry.