Saturday's Guild Meeting: Double Knitting

  • Clearbrook
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2013
      Here is what Connie posted on Ravelry.com

      The calendar says it's fall and some days it feels like summer is over, so it may be time to start thinking snuggly cushy warm fabrics for fall/winter.

      At the next Guild Mtg this coming Saturday, we're going to dive in to Double-Knitting, the two-sided reversible tubular kind, knit on one needle with one or two colors. We'll review cast-ons, the technique, chart-reading, and start a project.

      Please bring:
      ~ your preferred pattern choices/options
      ~ yarn suitable (one or more colors) for your chosen project (of course it's always an option to purchase during the meeting ;). )
      ~ needles; straights, dpn's, or circ, some sources say 2 sizes smaller than usual for the yarn weight, maybe bring a range of sizes
      ~ any resources you have that can be shared; tutorials, vids, etc, this will be a sharing/learning mtg, rather than a presentation

      I recently purchased this pattern
      (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/doxie-dachshound-...) and may try it first for a headband.
      Or, this hotpad pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tphpe. (Ooo, look at the spider hotpad!). http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#page=1&sort=be...
      Or, this Kindle Cover
      http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kindle-death
      Or, who knows, lol?!

      Take a look around, search Ravelry or online for `double knitting' patterns,, techniques, tutorials, whatever you might be looking for, there's lots of info out there, including YouTube.

      My faves so far:
      ~ Reversible Two-Color Knitting, Anne Kingstone
      http://www.annkingstone.com/files/Double _knitting.PDF , free
      ~ Lucy Neatby's Double Knitting Delight I, download 19.99, DVD 29.99
      http://lucyneatby.com/index.php?department=DVDs

      Coincidental timing… Knitty's Deep Fall 2013 just released today with, you guessed it, a double knit scarf.
      http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaves-of-grass-3

      So… It's gonna be fun and informative, hope to see you there!

      Yarn Charm
      Saturday, Semptember 14, 2013, 1-4(?)