June Guild Meeting: Dyeing Yarn with Kool-aid

  • Clearbrook
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2013
      June will soon be here. What a great time to play outside with yarn and Kool-aid.

      Here is some basic stuff you need to know:

      Kool-Aid Dyeing Resources and Ideas:

      Koolaid Ice cubes:
      http://maiyamayhem.blogspot.com/2011/07/kool-aid-popsicle-dyeing.html

      http://www.dyeyouryarn.com/

      Ravelry groups:

      http://www.ravelry.com/groups/kool-aid-dyers

      http://www.ravelry.com/groups/what-a-kool-way-to-dye

      Items you need to bring with you:

      Glass or plastic container to microwave your yarn in. This needs to be able to handle high temps. Also, nothing too big. The microwave is not overly large. No metal!

      Kool-aid packets. These must be unsweetened! Bring a variety, we can always swap colors with other dyers. The more intense color that is wanted will require more kool-aid. For softer colors, 1-3 packets per skein of yarn.

      Remember, if you want vibrant yellows, get the pineapple flavor. The lemonade is very pale on it's own. For more specific info on how much, and what colors to buy, visit the dyeyouryarn link above.

      Bring plastic wrap if you have it. I will have some on hand, but extra would be great.

      Bring foam paint brushes, ketchup-like squeeze bottles, turkey basters (these can be messy), or other similar things to help you get your color onto your yarn. Spoons work well also.

      Bring plastic spoons or something to stir your dye with.

      Wear old clothes that you don't care if they get dirty/stained. You can wear rubber surgical gloves to keep your hands from getting stained. I would also recommend an old towel, just in case.

      If you want to "kettle dye" your yarn, bring your crock-pot.

      I will have a gallon of vinegar, plastic cups to mix dye in, some kool-aid, a colander and some yarn scraps to tie your skeins with.

      There is a PDF of this information in the files section.

      If you have any questions, ask away!