Re: [lincolnknitters] Fw: TKGA Needs Your Guild's Charity Request for Free Yarn by 9/13/10!

  • Jennifer McKitrick
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2010
      I'll help.

      Hey Shawn, did you finish that little blanket we were working on last month?

      From: The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA) <TKGA@...>
      To: "Shawn Sheets" <clearbrook72@...>
      Date: Tuesday, September 7, 2010, 3:25 PM

      Urgent! Let us hear from your TKGA Guild right away!
      Get FREE Yarn for a charity project!

      What do Lands' End, the Craft Yarn Council and TKGA Guilds have in common?
      A desire to help warm up families this winter.

      The urgency is that you must order your free yarn BEFORE SEPTEMBER 13.

      WHAT IS THE PROJECT?
      Lands’ End has teamed up with Warm Up America!, with Crochet Today editor Brett Bara as their spokesperson, on an exciting project to help warm up families in need this winter. The Knitting Guild Association’s member guilds have been invited to join in the fun. Lands’ End is donating 5000 pounds of their soft FeelGood yarn so that 64,000 blanket squares by a combination of groups can be knitted and crocheted. The goal is 2000 blankets by mid-December!

      The yarn will come in cones, each of which will yield 51 squares. This is not a one-person project – we need groups of people who can knit or crochet at least 51 squares out of the yarn. That’s why your TKGA member guild is invited to participate.

      WHO TO NOTIFY WITH YOUR FREE YARN ORDER
      Please let Penny Sitler know if your group is willing to knit/crochet at least 51 blanket squares. Before September 13 send me your:
      • contact name,
      • shipping address,
      • email address and
      • how many complete cones your group can use (remember, each cone yields 51 squares)

      Send your information to psitler@.... Penny Sitler will compile a list and get it to Lands’ End, who will ship the yarn directly to you. Yarn quantities are limited, so it will be distributed on a first come first serve basis.

      MAKE SQUARES TO DONATE LOCALLY OR NATIONALLY –
      YOU CHOOSE:
      You are welcome to assemble and donate your FeelGood afghans in your own community or send them to Warm Up America. We simply ask that you e-mail or write Penny if you are donating locally so we can keep track of the number and where the afghans are being donated.

      ABOUT THE AFGHAN SQUARES:
      Warm Up America, a 501(c)(3) charitable foundation, works with volunteers nationwide who crochet and knit
      7" x 9" rectangles. Sections are joined by individuals or groups in a community to make colorful afghans to be donated locally or sent to Foundation headquarters for joining and distribution.

      Please send 7” by 9” FeelGood knitted and crocheted sections, or, if you prefer, finished afghans to:

      Warm Up America
      FeelGood Campaign

      469 Hospital Dr. Ste E
      Gastonia, NC 28054
      info@...

      Approximate number of 7” by 9” sections it takes to make a blanket:

      Baby afghan, 36” by 35” – 20 sections
      Lap throw, 45” by 35” – 25 sections
      Child, 54” by 42” – 36 sections
      Adult, 63” by 49” – 49 sections

      Each square made with FeelGood yarn weighs an average of 1.25 ounces. So if someone in your group wants to make four 7" by 9" squares, they'll need about 5 ounces of yarn.

      REPORTING ON YOUR FINISHED SQUARES:
      If you donate locally, please notify Penny Sitler (psitler@...) and Warm Up America (info@...) about how many squares/blankets you’ve donated and to what local charity.

      For more information: Land's end (www.landsend.com/feelgood) and Warm Up  America! (www.warmupamerica.org).

      I look forward to hearing from your guild and hope you'll be able to participate in this wonderful project!

      Warm regards,

      Penny Sitler
      Executive Director

      The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA - www.TKGA.com) is a non-profit organization dedicated solely to knitters and knitting. Its emphasis is on knitting education. Since 1984 The Knitting Guild Association has brought knitters together to connect, create and grow.

      TKGA is managed by Offinger Management Company (offinger.com).

      We hope you have enjoyed this communication from The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA). If you'd rather not receive information from us, please forward this e-mail to TKGARemove@... or mail your removal request to the address below. You may fax your removal request to 740-452-2552, or request removal by calling 740-452-4541.

      This is an advertisement from:

      The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA)

      1100-H Brandywine Blvd

      Zanesville OH 43701-7303

      DISCLAIMER: For security reasons, we strongly discourage the submission of credit card numbers through e-mail.

    • Shawn Sheets
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2010
        Yup, I finished it later that day, it just needs a good home. I'll bring it to the next guild meeting for everyone to see.

        Child Advocacy Center gets their blankets from Project Linus, and doesn't want it. (just heard from them a few minutes ago). Anyone know another good place?

        CAC would like hat/scarf/mittens though.

        How many cones should we order?

        Shawn

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2010
          Hi Shawn,  The church calendar already has something planned for the day of the  guild meeting.  We could have the 9th if you wish.
          Also,  I haven't gotten a response concerning the next craft day, so would you and others like another wool dyeing day?
          I would like to get in the yarn for charity too.
          Cathy

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2010
            I'll help, too. Hope it's not too late.

          • clearbrook72@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2010
              It's never too late! I'd be glad for any help I can get.

              From: "J" <jkundhi@...>
              Sender: lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:24:04 -0000
              To: <lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com>