Knitting Guild this Saturday - Steeking

  • pageta23
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2009
      Sorry to get the note about our steeking class this weekend out so late. Not to worry - preparation is quite simple.

      All you need to bring is a 4x4 swatch in St st with any yarn you choose. Now, if you know much about steeking, you probably know it is typically done with sticky wool so that it doesn't unravel. But we are just practicing, so if you have cotton, use cotton and we'll all see what happens when one steeks with cotton. If you want to get fancy and do colorwork, more power to you. Just know that we need to cut through St st, so don't do any fancy stitchwork (other than St st colorwork).

      I will be showing a DVD where Lucy Neatby demonstrates using a sewing machine to reinforce the steek. However, when we steek, we will be doing The Crocheted Steek so eloquently described by Eunny Jang in her Steeking Chronicles which begin here.

      So here is a checklist of what you need to bring:
      • A 4x4 St st swatch in whatever yarn you choose
      • Yarn in a contrasting color
      • An appropriately sized crochet hook for the yarn used in your swatch
      • A scissors to cut your steek :) (I just used the little embroidery scissors I carry with my knitting)
      Our room reservation is from 1 to 4 but there is a group before us that has the room reserved until 1:00 so we might not get started right away due to the transition (and if you arrive early, you may have to wait outside the door).

      See everyone Saturday!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2009
        Thanks, Tana!  I'm really looking forward to this.

        I WANNA CUT MY KNITTING WITH SCISSORS!!

        :)

        On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:53 AM, pageta23 <tana.pageler@...> wrote:

[...]

        Tana

      • Connie Bellows
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2009
          Hi!
          As of this moment, I'm not scheduled to work this Sat., so I'm going to try to get to your meeting..  If I'm going to join the festivities, I suppose sawing through my knitting is festive enough!  But... where are you meeting?
          Connie

          Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities --Frank Lloyd Wright

          An Old Irish Blessing...

          May the road rise up to meet you.

          May the wind be always at your back.

          May the sun shine warm upon your face,

          and the rains fall soft upon your fields.

          And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.