Re: [lincolnknitters] Help Needed

  • cattalesx2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , May 6, 2009
      Hi Connie,  I have been using the "Super Quick Baby Socks" off of the internet.  The pattern calls for size 7 on worsted weight, but I have also used size 4-6 and they turn out fine.  SFB only likes acrylic yarn.

      Thanks!!

      Cathy

      Big savings on Dell's most popular laptops. Now starting at $449!
    • cattalesx2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , May 6, 2009
        Hi Jay,  The booties will be fine too, but SFB really likes the "Super Quick Baby Socks" off of the internet because the babies can't kick them off as easily.  The socks on size 7 needles on worsted weight and SFB only likes acrylic since they are for charity.

        Thanks.

        Cathy

        Big savings on Dell's most popular laptops. Now starting at $449!
      • Jennifer McKitrick
        Message 3 of 23 , May 6, 2009
          I'll work on baby socks on my trip!  I promise!
          I'm leaving monday.  I hope the TSA doesn't take my knitting needles.
          If anyone needs some acrylic worsted weight yarn for baby socks, let me know.
          But I won't be able to come tonight.  My department is having an end-of-semester get-together.

          Jennifer

          Message 4 of 23 , May 6, 2009
            I will definately work on some, but will have to go buy some acrylic, since its not something I keep around.  I will get some worked up here this weekend.

            Jay

            Message 5 of 23 , May 6, 2009
              Jay- Don't buy acrylic!  I have a bunch I'm trying to give away right now.  It is yours for the taking.

              Christy

              christynelson.net

              Message 6 of 23 , May 6, 2009
                Hi Christy,

                Thanks for the offer!  I don't live in Lincoln, I live north of there about 35 minutes or so in Fremont.  I don't know when I am going to be in town again this week, as I was in town yesterday.  More than likely it wouldn't be until next week.  Thanks for the offer!

                Jay

                Message 7 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                  Hi Amy,  I contacted SFB and they would like to see the flannel booties to see if it is something that they could start using.  Cathy
                • cattalesx2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                    A big thank you to all of you who said they would help with baby socks for Sewing For Babies.  I contacted SFB and they are thrilled.  E-mail me when you are finsihed with some and we'll decide how to get them to SFB.

                    Cathy
                  • J. Schaupp
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                      Hi,

                      I know you said only acrylic, is this because of washability?  I have lots of baby colors in superwash wool.  Is this acceptable?  If not, I did buy a skein of acrylic.

                      Thanks

                      Jay

                      A big thank you to all of you who said they would help with baby socks for Sewing For Babies.  I contacted SFB and they are thrilled.  E-mail me when you are finsihed with some and we'll decide how to get them to SFB.

                      Cathy

                    • Amy H
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                        I had another thought.  I know they used to keep donations at their shop and people could stop in to get supplies to make things.  If they still do this it is possible they have yarn there that has been donated.

                        amy

                        To: lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com
                        From: cattalesx2@...
                        Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 15:36:28 -0400

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 9, 2009
                          They still have donated yarn, but it now has to be when someone is there or the group.  Next wk. it's Tues. afternoon 1-3 or the Thurs. night 7-9 once a month meeting.

                          Cathy

                          To: lincolnknitters@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: cattalesx2@aol. com
                          Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 15:36:28 -0400

                          A big thank you to all of you who said they would help with baby socks for Sewing For Babies.  I contacted SFB and they are thrilled.  E-mail me when you are finsihed with some and we'll decide how to get them to SFB.&nbs p;

                          Cathy

                        • cattalesx2@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 9, 2009
                            Sorry, they only want acrylic.

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 9, 2009
                              I am going to have to bow out of knitting for Sewing for Babies, I tried to use acrylic and its terrible, it has no natural shape, it feels very cheap and looks cheap as well.  I just won't knit anything or make anything for someone that I wouldn't wear myself.  I did make one pair of the Super Quick Baby Socks, and well, they are stiff and not very soft.  If you want them let me know and I can mail them to you, other wise I am going to toss them.

                              Jay

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                                Jay,

                                Good News!  SFB meets on Tuesdays and they said they would accept washable wool booties.  I think since it is a charity that some of the older ladies have been worried about the washablitity and wool allergies of babies to wool.  If you are interested in helping, it would be appreciated and I will email the SFB address.
                                We would still like the other pair if you still have it.

                                Cathy
                              • cattalesx2@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                                  Amy,

                                  I was at SFB today for the weekly meeting and they said that they would accept wool booties.  They had been concerned about washability and allergies.  Let me know if you would have some time to knit some baby socks.

                                  Cathy
                                • Amy H
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 13, 2009
                                    Cathy,
                                    I will be happy to knit some socks and I have on my table the flannel booties to sew up.
                                    I am working on a test knit due Friday so there is no time this week but I will tackle it soon and let you know when I have some done.
                                    Also, we drive by SFB on Wednesdays so I can always drop off if that is easier for you.  Oh, I guess we won't be back to piano until June 10th.  Or I guess I could mail them, it wouldn't cost much.

                                    thanks for your legwork on this.
                                    amy

                                    To: lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: cattalesx2@...
                                    Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:53:22 -0400

                                    .

                                    Amy,

                                    I was at SFB today for the weekly meeting and they said that they would accept wool booties.  They had been concerned about washability and allergies.  Let me know if you would have some time to knit some baby socks.

                                    Cathy

                                    Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
                                  • cattalesx2@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 13, 2009
                                      Hi Amy,  There isn't anyone at SFB on Weds., but we can work out something later.  Thanks for everything.  Cathy