Re: [lincolnknitters] Help Needed

  • Connie Bellows
    Message 1 of 23 , May 5, 2009
      Hi.  I don't have any as I don't usually do baby things, but... if you can email a pattern or link me to one, and tell me what the acceptable yarns are, I could work on some.  Let me know.
      Connie

      Connie Bellows
      310 South 38th Street
      Lincoln, Ne., 68510
      (402)429-0733

      Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities --Frank Lloyd Wright

      An Old Irish Blessing...

      May the road rise up to meet you.

      May the wind be always at your back.

      May the sun shine warm upon your face,

      and the rains fall soft upon your fields.

      And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

      Date: Saturday April 18, 2009
      Time: 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
      Repeats: This event repeats every month on the third Saturday.
      Location: The Walt Library Community Room 1

      __._, _.___

    • Amy H
      Message 2 of 23 , May 5, 2009
        Do they have to be knit?  I have several flannel booties cut out that just need sewn...I know not knitting related on a knitting board but it's what I have.

        I am in the middle of a test knit due in a week but after that I can knit some.  Is there a preferred pattern??  yarn??
        thx
        amy in ne

        To: lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com
        From: cattalesx2@...
        Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 20:26:41 -0400

        Sewing For Babies is desparate for knit baby socks.  Does anyone have any to donate?  I seem to be the only one making them right now and I can't keep up

        Cathy
        .

        Hotmail® has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.
      • cattalesx2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , May 6, 2009
          Hi Amy,  I haven't seen SFB use flannel booties, but I could ask.  They like the knit ones because the stay on the baby's feet better.  They like acrylic yarn and I use the Super Quick Baby Sock  pattern off the internet.  Thanks.

          Cathy

          Big savings on Dell's most popular laptops. Now starting at $449!
        • cattalesx2@aol.com

            Message 5 of 23 , May 6, 2009
              Hi Jay,  The booties will be fine too, but SFB really likes the "Super Quick Baby Socks" off of the internet because the babies can't kick them off as easily.  The socks on size 7 needles on worsted weight and SFB only likes acrylic since they are for charity.

              Thanks.

              Cathy

              Big savings on Dell's most popular laptops. Now starting at $449!
            • Jennifer McKitrick
              Message 6 of 23 , May 6, 2009
                I'll work on baby socks on my trip!  I promise!
                I'm leaving monday.  I hope the TSA doesn't take my knitting needles.
                If anyone needs some acrylic worsted weight yarn for baby socks, let me know.
                But I won't be able to come tonight.  My department is having an end-of-semester get-together.

                Jennifer

                Message 7 of 23 , May 6, 2009
                  I will definately work on some, but will have to go buy some acrylic, since its not something I keep around.  I will get some worked up here this weekend.

                  Jay

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 6, 2009
                    Jay- Don't buy acrylic!  I have a bunch I'm trying to give away right now.  It is yours for the taking.

                    Christy

                    christynelson.net

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 6, 2009
                      Hi Christy,

                      Thanks for the offer!  I don't live in Lincoln, I live north of there about 35 minutes or so in Fremont.  I don't know when I am going to be in town again this week, as I was in town yesterday.  More than likely it wouldn't be until next week.  Thanks for the offer!

                      Jay

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                        Hi Amy,  I contacted SFB and they would like to see the flannel booties to see if it is something that they could start using.  Cathy
                      • cattalesx2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                          A big thank you to all of you who said they would help with baby socks for Sewing For Babies.  I contacted SFB and they are thrilled.  E-mail me when you are finsihed with some and we'll decide how to get them to SFB.

                          Cathy
                        • J. Schaupp
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                            Hi,

                            I know you said only acrylic, is this because of washability?  I have lots of baby colors in superwash wool.  Is this acceptable?  If not, I did buy a skein of acrylic.

                            Thanks

                            Jay

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                              I had another thought.  I know they used to keep donations at their shop and people could stop in to get supplies to make things.  If they still do this it is possible they have yarn there that has been donated.

                              amy

                              To: lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com
                              From: cattalesx2@...
                              Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 15:36:28 -0400

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 9, 2009
                                They still have donated yarn, but it now has to be when someone is there or the group.  Next wk. it's Tues. afternoon 1-3 or the Thurs. night 7-9 once a month meeting.

                                Cathy

                                To: lincolnknitters@ yahoogroups. com
                                From: cattalesx2@aol. com
                                Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 15:36:28 -0400

                                A big thank you to all of you who said they would help with baby socks for Sewing For Babies.  I contacted SFB and they are thrilled.  E-mail me when you are finsihed with some and we'll decide how to get them to SFB.&nbs p;

                                Cathy

                              • cattalesx2@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 9, 2009
                                  Sorry, they only want acrylic.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 9, 2009
                                    I am going to have to bow out of knitting for Sewing for Babies, I tried to use acrylic and its terrible, it has no natural shape, it feels very cheap and looks cheap as well.  I just won't knit anything or make anything for someone that I wouldn't wear myself.  I did make one pair of the Super Quick Baby Socks, and well, they are stiff and not very soft.  If you want them let me know and I can mail them to you, other wise I am going to toss them.

                                    Jay

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                                      Jay,

                                      Good News!  SFB meets on Tuesdays and they said they would accept washable wool booties.  I think since it is a charity that some of the older ladies have been worried about the washablitity and wool allergies of babies to wool.  If you are interested in helping, it would be appreciated and I will email the SFB address.
                                      We would still like the other pair if you still have it.

                                      Cathy
                                    • cattalesx2@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                                        Amy,

                                        I was at SFB today for the weekly meeting and they said that they would accept wool booties.  They had been concerned about washability and allergies.  Let me know if you would have some time to knit some baby socks.

                                        Cathy
                                      • Amy H
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 13, 2009
                                          Cathy,
                                          I will be happy to knit some socks and I have on my table the flannel booties to sew up.
                                          I am working on a test knit due Friday so there is no time this week but I will tackle it soon and let you know when I have some done.
                                          Also, we drive by SFB on Wednesdays so I can always drop off if that is easier for you.  Oh, I guess we won't be back to piano until June 10th.  Or I guess I could mail them, it wouldn't cost much.

                                          thanks for your legwork on this.
                                          amy

                                          To: lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: cattalesx2@...
                                          Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:53:22 -0400

                                          .

                                          Amy,

                                          I was at SFB today for the weekly meeting and they said that they would accept wool booties.  They had been concerned about washability and allergies.  Let me know if you would have some time to knit some baby socks.

                                          Cathy

                                          Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
                                        • cattalesx2@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 13, 2009
                                            Hi Amy,  There isn't anyone at SFB on Weds., but we can work out something later.  Thanks for everything.  Cathy