January 17 Guild Meeting - Short Rows

  • Tana Pageler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2009
      Hello everyone!

      This month the theme at our guild meeting will be short rows.

      What are short rows? They are partial rows worked in a project that help you do cool things like Calorimetry and Lizard Ridge. They also can be useful with advanced shaping techniques to make your sweaters fit better.

      Never done a short row (or even heard of one)? Or maybe you've tried them and haven't been satisfied with the results?
      The first half of the presentation will be devoted to actually practicing the technique, including how to make your short rows invisible. I will be teaching the yarnover method rather than wrapping sts, so even if you've done short rows before and feel like you've mastered them, you may want to bring yarn anyway just to try a different technique.

      And yes, you need to bring yarn as we will be practicing the technique, not just listening to someone talk about it. In order to participate in the short row tutorial, you will need to bring yarn for swatching* with appropriate needles for whatever yarn you choose. Before arriving, begin your swatch as follows:

      Short-row Swatch
      Cast on 24 sts.
      Knit 12 rows (6 garter ridges).
      Knit 6 rows in St st (knit right side rows, purl wrong side rows).
      Have the sts live on your needle, ready to work a right side row.

      Have you ever noticed that your sweaters are shorter in front than in back, or that they tend to ride up in front?
      The second half of the presentation will be devoted to garment shaping with short rows. We will give most of our attention to bust-shaping, but will discuss other areas that can be shaped with short rows as well. Bring a measuring tape if you would like to figure out how to insert short rows that would work best for your figure.

      See you all Saturday, January 17!

      Tana

      *Yarn for swatching: Stitch definition is key to learning a new technique - you have to be able to see what you're doing!
      • Wool yarn works best because of it's elasticity and forgiving structure (for instance, cotton is very unforgiving)
      • Worsted weight is generally easiest to work with (sts aren't so small you can't see what you're doing but not so big that it's hard to perform a technique)
      • Light colored yarns are easiest to see your sts (the shadows that add definition to the sts tend to disappear with dark yarns making it hard to see what you're doing)
      • Non-fuzzy and non-heathered yarns are also recommended