Membership in this group

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
      I was wondering if we should move to the type of membership where the
      administrator of the group "approves" the new member's request to come
      on board. That would eliminate the kind of posts that just got on here.
      I know other Yahoo groups work this way.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
        If Emily has time to approve people. I know she is really busy with her
        house. This is the first time we've gotten one of these, isn't it? Maybe
        it's an isolated incident?

        > I was wondering if we should move to the type of membership where the
        > administrator of the group "approves" the new member's request to come
        > on board. That would eliminate the kind of posts that just got on here.
        > I know other Yahoo groups work this way.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Emily Nimsakont
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
          I can certainly change the membership settings so that members have to be approved, if this continues to be a problem.  Why don't we wait a bit to see if other incidents like this occur?  If so, then I'll change the settings.  (The house is nearing completion, so my life should be settling down soon.  Maybe I'll even make it to knit with you guys someday!)

          --Emily

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
            That's fine.  I certainly don't want to make more work.  This is the second incident, though.  Remember the guy who joined so that he could ask if anyone would sew his kid's patches on his karate uniform (or whatever)?.  The only problem I see with allowing "lurkers" is that they can tap into our private member info (like our email addresses).

            --- In lincolnknitters@yahoogroups.com, Emily Nimsakont <enimsakont@...> wrote:

            > I can certainly change the membership settings so that members have to be approved, if this continues to be a problem. Why don't we wait a bit to see if other incidents like this occur? If so, then I'll change the settings. (The house is nearing completion, so my life should be settling down soon. Maybe I'll even make it to knit with you guys someday!)
            >
            > --Emily
            >
            > Julie Kundhi jkundhi@... wrote:
            > If Emily has time to approve people. I know she is really busy with her
            > house. This is the first time we've gotten one of these, isn't it? Maybe
            > it's an isolated incident?
            >
            > > I was wondering if we should move to the type of membership where the
            > > administrator of the group "approves" the new member's request to come
            > > on board. That would eliminate the kind of posts that just got on here.
            > > I know other Yahoo groups work this way.
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Pine lake Lincoln nebraska Knitting

            > Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

          • Emily Nimsakont
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2006
              Your point about others being able to see our personal information is a good one, Liz.  I went ahead and changed the settings so that approval is required for membership.  Since new members have been fairly few and far between, I don't anticipate this being a huge strain on me in terms of the amount of work required.  If I do feel overwhelmed at any time, I will ask for a volunteer for the job of moderator to share some of my duties.

              Have a nice meeting tomorrow, everyone that will be there!

              --Emily

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14, 2006

                Thanks for doing that, Emily.  That makes me feel a lot better!  You know, I think you have to capability to boot the "intruder" off the member roster, too.  And if you ever feel you need to take a break, I am happy to help you with the moderator responsibilities.  But I think you're right---there aren't exactly tons of knitters beating at the door to join the site so I don't think you'll feel the strain because of this change!