5The Suicide's Soliloquy by Abraham Lincoln

  • plantslovefruitarians
    Mar 26, 2013
      In 1818 when Lincoln was nine, he was kicked in the head by a horse and not expected to live. On October 5 of the same year, his beloved mother Nancy died. On January 20, 1828, when he was almost 19, his sister Clara died in childbirth. Around 1833, his love Ann Rutledge,
      to whom he was engaged, died. Perhaps it was planted in his heart at the time that any woman he loved would be taken from him. He had several episodes of despair, melancholy, overwhelming sadness throughout his life.

      The Suicide's Soliloquy

      -Abraham Lincoln-

      Here, where the lonely hooting owl
      Sends forth his midnight moans
      Fierce wolves shall o'er my carcass growl,
      Or buzzards pick my bones.
      No fellow man shall learn my fate,
      Or where my ashes lie
      Unless by beasts drawn round their bait,
      Or by the ravens' cry.
      Yes. I've resolved the deed to do,
      And this the place to do it.
      This heart I'll rush a dagger through,
      Though I in hell should rue it!
      Hell! What is hell to one like me
      Who pleasures never know;
      By friends consigned to misery,
      By hope deserted too?
      To ease me of this power to think,
      That through my bosom raves,
      I'll headlong leap from hell's high brink,
      And wallow in its waves.
      Though devils yell, and burning chains
      May waken long regret;
      Their frightful screams, and piercing pains,
      Will help me to forget.
      Yes! I'm prepared, through endless night,
      To take that fiery berth!
      Think not with tales of hell to fright
      Me, who am damn'd on earth!
      Sweet steel! come forth from our your sheath,
      And glist'ning, speak your powers;
      Rip up the organs of my breath,
      And draw my blood in showers!
      I strike! It quivers in that heart