23Lincoln's Friends revised

  • plantslovefruitarians
    Mar 29, 2013
      Lincoln lost his mother when he was 9, his sister to childbirth when he was 19,
      and at 25 lost is finacee Ann Rutledge. Perhaps it was planted in his mind that
      women he loved would be taken from him. He told Mary Todd he did not love her,
      but when she burst into tears, he relented. He would later lose 2 of his 4 sons
      at ages 4 and 11.

      Carl Sandburg in 1926 published a biography which described the friendship of
      Lincoln and Joshua Speed as "a streak of lavender, and spots soft as May
      violets".

      In the first edition of Herdon's Life Of Lincoln, he included Lincoln's
      poem:

      For Reuben and Charles have married two girls,
      But Billy has married a boy.
      The girls he had tried on every side,
      But none he could get to agree;
      All was in vain, he went home again,
      And since that he's married to Natty. "

      C. A. Tripp died in 2003. He was a gay man and worked with Alfred Kinsey. He
      began writing The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln with Philip Nobile before
      his death.

      In 19th Century small towns in which beds were scarce, there were sometimes
      several double beds in a large room and
      men were rented a half bed.

      Captain David Derickson was Lincoln's bodyguard and companion between September
      1862 and April 1863. They shared a bed during the absences of Lincoln's wife,
      until Derickson was promoted in 1863, according to 2 contemporary sources.

      In 2012, Sylvia Rhue, a filmmaker and activist, interviewed Reverend Cindi Love
      about her family history and research. Love, a descendant of William Herndon,
      noted that family history held that Herndon was gay and the lover of Lincoln.

      Whether or not Lincoln was bisexual, he had felt as a young man that he
      was ugly and made several references to this. Raised in great poverty, he also
      felt insecure about his clothing and knowledge of etiquette. He also disliked the
      inanity of the conversation of those women who were programmed to be interested
      only in certain subjects.

      Some of these incidents are mentioned in the book Team Of Rivals or in a
      Wikipedia article.

      ******************
      http://arbeitslust.soup.io/

      Lincoln doubted the way he felt about Mary Owens:

      I am often thinking about what we said of your coming to live at
      Springfield. I am afraid you would not be satisfied. There is a great deal of
      flourishing about in carriages here, which it would be your doom to see without
      shareing in it. You would have to be poor without the means of hiding your
      poverty. Do you believe you could bear that patiently? Whatever woman may cast
      her lot with mine, should any ever do so, it is my intention to do all in my
      power to make her happy and contented; and there is nothing I can immagine, that
      would make me more unhappy than to fail in the effort. I know I should be much
      happier with you than the way I am, provided I saw no signs of discontent in
      you. What you have said to me may have been in jest, or I may have misunderstood
      it. If so, then let it be forgotten; if otherwise, I much wish you would think
      seriously before you decide. For my part I have already decided. What I have
      said I will most positively abide by, provided you wish it. My opinion is that
      you had better not do it. You have not been accustomed to hardship, and it may
      be more severe than you now imagine. I know you are capable of thinking
      correctly on any subject; and if you deliberate maturely upon this, before you
      decide, then I am willing to abide your decision.

      *************************
      marriage.about.com

      Abraham and Mary Lincoln had 4 sons. Edward died at almost 4 years old. Willie
      died at age 11.
      Thomas (Tad) Lincoln died at age 18. 2 of the sons predeceased Lincoln who died
      in 1865.

      Robert died at age 82 on July 26, 1926 at Hildene, his summer home in
      Vermont. Robert is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Mary died on March 31,
      1937. Pictures of Robert Lincoln.

      "On August 1, 1843, nine months less three days from the day of her
      marriage, Mary Lincoln achieved the second of her domestic priorities and
      delivered the first of her four precious sons."
      Source: Jean H. Baker. Mary Todd Lincoln: A Biography. page 102.

      Edward (Eddie) Baker Lincoln: Born March 10, 1846 in Springfield, Illinois.
      Edward died quite young in Springfield, Illinois on February 1, 1850 from
      pulmonary tuberculosis.

      William (Willie) Wallace Lincoln: Born December 21, 1850 in Springfield,
      Illinois. William died when he was 11 years old on February 20, 1862 in
      Washington, D.C. of typhoid fever. Pictures of Willy Lincoln

      Thomas (Tad) Lincoln: Born April 4, 1853 in Springfield, Illinois. Tad died
      at age 18 in Chicago on July 15, 1871 of tuberculosis. Pictures of Tad Lincoln

      HONOR'S VOICE: The Transformation
      of Abraham Lincoln By Douglas L. Wilson. Knopf claims that Lincoln at least
      twice visited prostitutes
      **********************************

      the-american-catholic.com
      1840 had been a good year for the Whig party nationally, but in Illinois the
      Democrats won control of the state legislature. Lincoln was one of the leaders
      of the Whigs in the General Assembly. When the legislature met in January of
      1841, the Democrats were able to ram through piece of legislation after piece of
      legislation opposed by the Whigs. One day Lincoln and two other Whig
      representatives, in order to forestall a quorum, opened a window and leaped
      through it. (The Democrats had previously locked the doors to the room where
      the General Assembly was meeting.) Lincoln and his colleagues found themselves
      victims of Democrat laughter due to the fact that they had previously voted that
      day on a motion to adjourn. The motion was defeated, but enough representatives
      voted on the motion to constitute a quorum. The escape attempt was for naught.
      References

      ^ Cathy Young Co-opting Lincoln's sexuality Boston Globe Jan 31, 2005
      ^ Richard Brookhiser Was Lincoln Gay? New York Times Jan 9, 2005
      ^ a b c d e D. H. Donald We are Lincoln Men pg 141-143 Simon & Schuster 2003
      ISBN 0-7432-5468-6
      ^ (15 December 2003). A Review by Gregory M. Lamb at www.powells.com of "We
      Are Lincoln Men": Abraham Lincoln and His Friends" D. H. Donald
      ^ A. J. Pollock, "Underworld Speaks"(1935) p 115/2, cited in Oxford English
      Dictionary.
      ^ Philip Nobile "Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Publish: Homophobia in Lincoln
      Studies?"GMU History News Network June 2001
      ^ Herndon, W. H., Herndon's Lincoln: The True Story of a Great Life.
      Scituate, MA: Digital Scanning, 2000.
      ^ Blechner, M. J. (2009) 'Sex Changes: Transformations in Society and
      Psychoanalysis.' New York and London: Taylor & Francis.
      ^ Smith, Dinitia Finding Homosexual Threads in Lincoln's Legend, December
      16, 2004, New York Times
      ^ Nobile, Philip Honest, Abe?, Jan 17, 2005, Weekly Standard, Vol 10, Issue
      17]
      ^ name=New Report Clears School of Cheating
      ^ Michael Burlingame Afterword: The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln pg
      226-238 Free Press 2005 ISBN 0-7432-6639-0
      ^ a b c Michael B. Chesson Afterword: The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln
      pg 245 Free Press 2005 ISBN 0-7432-6639-0
      ^ "The True Lincoln". Time. June 26, 2005. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
      ^ Charles E. Morris III, "Hard Evidence: The Vexations of Lincoln's Queer
      Corpus", in Rhetoric, Materiality, Politics, ed. Barbara Biesecker and John
      Louis Lucaites (New York: Peter Lang, 2009): 185-213; "My Old Kentucky Homo:
      Abraham Lincoln, Larry Kramer, and the Politics of Queer Memory", Queering
      Public Address: Sexualities and American Historical Discourse, ed. Charles E.
      Morris III (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2007): 93-120.
      ^ Kramer, Larry. "Nuremberg Trials for AIDS". The Gay & Lesbian Review
      Worldwide. September–October 2006.
      ^ Carol Lloyd Was Lincoln Gay? Salon Ivory Tower May 3, 1999
      ^ Gabor Boritt, The Lincoln Enigma: The Changing Faces of an American Icon,
      Oxford University Press, 2001, p.xiv.
      ^ C.A. Tripp The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln pg xxx Free Press 2005
      ISBN 0-7432-6639-0
      ^ More to the Story: A History of Gay America
      ^ Douglas Wilson Honor's Voice: The Transformation of Abraham Lincoln
      Vintage Publishing 1999 ISBN 0-375-70396-9
      ^ William Lee Miller Lincoln's Virtues: An Ethical Biography(2002) ISBN
      0-375-70173-7 pg 49. Miller states of the young Lincoln, "...there cannot be
      much doubt that he read and reread and came to know a good deal of the Bible."
      ^ a b c d e Jonathan Ned Katz, Love Stories: Sex Between Men Before
      Homosexuality (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2001). On Lincoln and Speed
      see chapter 1, "No Two Men Were Ever More Intimate", pages 3-25. For more on
      Lincoln and sexuality see the notes to this chapter.
      ^ Abraham Lincoln and Ann Rutledge, John Y. Simon
      ^ The New Yorker, Eureka Dept., Jun 14, 2004 The Suicide Poem
      ^ Library of Congress:Collection Guides (online), Lincoln as Poet
      ^ "Letter, Abraham Lincoln to Mary S. Owens reflecting the frustration of
      courtship, 16 August 1837". Library of Congress. (Abraham Lincoln Papers)
      ^ Rhue, Sylvia (November 26, 2012). "A Family History Provides More Evidence
      That Lincoln Was Gay". Huffington Post. Retrieved January 13, 2013.
      ^ Randall, Ruth Painter. Mary Lincoln: Biography of a Marriage. Boston:
      Little, Brown, 1953. pp 70-71.
      ^ Donald DH. Lincoln's Herndon. New York: A.A. Knopf, 1948, page 46.
      ^ Sotos, JG (2008). The Physical Lincoln Sourcebook. Mount Vernon, VA: Mt.
      Vernon Book Systems.
      ^ Excerpt from D. H. Donald's We are Lincoln Men Simon & Schuster 2003 ISBN
      0-7432-5468-6
      ^ Sandburg 1:244
      ^ Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years (1926) 1:244; Roundup: Talking About
      History, by Richard Brookhiser, NYT Book Review (Jan 9, 2005) of C.A. Tripp's
      Gay Lincoln Biography online at the History News Network; David H. Donald's We
      are Lincoln Men, op.cit.
      ^ Martin Duberman, "Writhing Bedfellows: 1826 Two Young Men from Antebellum
      South Carolina's Ruling Elite Share 'Extravagant Delight'", in Salvatore Licata
      and Robert Petersen, eds., Historical Perspectives on Homosexuality (New York:
      Haworth Press & Stein & Day, 1981), pages 85-99.
      ^ http://marriage.about.com/od/presidentialmarriages/a/abelincoln.htm
      ^ Allen C. Guelzo, Abraham Lincoln: Redeemer President, (1999) pg. 97-98.
      ^ a b c Jean H. Baker, "Mary and Abraham: A Marriage" in "The Lincoln
      Enigma" edited by Gabor Boritt pg. 55
      ^ Tripp, C.A. : Intimate World, Ibid.
      ^ Martin P. Johnson, Did Abraham Lincoln Sleep with His Bodyguard? Another
      Look at the Evidence Journal of the Abraham Lincoln Association Vol 27 No 2
      (Summer 2006)

      Other reading

      Hay, John; Nicolay, John George (1890). Abraham Lincoln: a History.
      "Volume 1". to 1856; strong coverage of national politics
      "Volume 2". (1832 to 1901) ; covers 1856 to early 1861; very detailed
      coverage of national politics; part of 10 volume "life and times" "written by
      Lincoln's top aides
      Michael F. Bishop, "All the President's Men", Washington Post February 13,
      2005; Page BW03 online
      Book Questions Abraham Lincoln's Sexuality - Discovery Channel
      "The sexual life of Abraham Lincoln" by Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com, Jan. 12,
      2005 (requires subscription or viewing an ad before reading)
      The Lincoln Bedroom: A Critical Symposium Claremont Review of Books, Summer
      2005
      Exploring Lincoln's Loves Scott Simon in conversation with Lincoln scholars
      Michael Chesson and Michael Burlingame. National Public Radio, February 12, 2005
      We Are Lincoln Men Margaret Warner speaks with Pulitzer Prize-winning author
      David Herbert Donald about his book, We Are Lincoln Men: Abraham Lincoln and His
      Friends. Public Broadcasting Service, November 26, 2003
      Jay Hatheway. American Historical Review 111#2 (April 2006) - An Edgewood
      College history professor's book review of C.A. Tripp's The Intimate World of
      Abraham Lincoln online
      Mr. Lincoln and Friends: Joshua F. Speed