20Lincoln's Friends

  • plantslovefruitarians
    Mar 29, 2013
      Lincoln lost his mother when he was 9, his sister to childbirth when he was 19, and at 25 lost is finacee Ann Rutledge. Perhaps it was planted in his mind that women he loved would be taken from him. He told Mary Todd he did not love her, but when she burst into tears, he relented. He would later lose 2 of his 4 sons at ages 4 and 11.

      Carl Sandburg in 1926 published a biography which described the friendship of Lincoln and Joshua Speed as "a streak of lavender, and spots soft as May violets".

      In the first edition of Herdon's Life Of Lincoln, he included Lincoln's
      poem:

      For Reuben and Charles have married two girls,
      But Billy has married a boy.
      The girls he had tried on every side,
      But none he could get to agree;
      All was in vain, he went home again,
      And since that he's married to Natty. "

      C. A. Tripp died in 2003. He was a gay man and worked with Alfred Kinsey. He began writing The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln with Philip Nobile before his death.

      In 19th Century small towns in which beds were scarce, there were sometimes several double beds in a large room and
      men were rented a half bed.

      Captain David Derickson was Lincoln's bodyguard and companion between September 1862 and April 1863. They shared a bed during the absences of Lincoln's wife, until Derickson was promoted in 1863

      In 2012, Sylvia Rhue, a filmmaker and activist, interviewed Reverend Cindi Love about her family history and research. Love, a descendant of William Herndon, noted that family history held that Herndon was gay and the lover of Lincoln

      Some of these incidents are mentioned in the book Team Of Rivals or in a Wikipedia article.

      ******************
      http://arbeitslust.soup.io/

      Lincoln doubted the way he felt about Mary Owens:

      I am often thinking about what we said of your coming to live at Springfield. I am afraid you would not be satisfied. There is a great deal of flourishing about in carriages here, which it would be your doom to see without shareing in it. You would have to be poor without the means of hiding your poverty. Do you believe you could bear that patiently? Whatever woman may cast her lot with mine, should any ever do so, it is my intention to do all in my power to make her happy and contented; and there is nothing I can immagine, that would make me more unhappy than to fail in the effort. I know I should be much happier with you than the way I am, provided I saw no signs of discontent in you. What you have said to me may have been in jest, or I may have misunderstood it. If so, then let it be forgotten; if otherwise, I much wish you would think seriously before you decide. For my part I have already decided. What I have said I will most positively abide by, provided you wish it. My opinion is that you had better not do it. You have not been accustomed to hardship, and it may be more severe than you now imagine. I know you are capable of thinking correctly on any subject; and if you deliberate maturely upon this, before you decide, then I am willing to abide your decision.

      *************************
      marriage.about.com

      Abraham and Mary Lincoln had 4 sons. Edward died at almost 4 years old. Willie died at age 11.
      Thomas (Tad) Lincoln died at age 18. 2 of the sons predeceased Lincoln who died in 1865.

      Robert died at age 82 on July 26, 1926 at Hildene, his summer home in Vermont. Robert is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Mary died on March 31, 1937. Pictures of Robert Lincoln.

      "On August 1, 1843, nine months less three days from the day of her marriage, Mary Lincoln achieved the second of her domestic priorities and delivered the first of her four precious sons."
      Source: Jean H. Baker. Mary Todd Lincoln: A Biography. page 102.

      Edward (Eddie) Baker Lincoln: Born March 10, 1846 in Springfield, Illinois. Edward died quite young in Springfield, Illinois on February 1, 1850 from pulmonary tuberculosis.

      William (Willie) Wallace Lincoln: Born December 21, 1850 in Springfield, Illinois. William died when he was 11 years old on February 20, 1862 in Washington, D.C. of typhoid fever. Pictures of Willy Lincoln

      Thomas (Tad) Lincoln: Born April 4, 1853 in Springfield, Illinois. Tad died at age 18 in Chicago on July 15, 1871 of tuberculosis. Pictures of Tad Lincoln

      HONOR'S VOICE: The Transformation
      of Abraham Lincoln By Douglas L. Wilson. Knopf claims that Lincoln at least twice visited prostitutes

      the-american-catholic.com
      1840 had been a good year for the Whig party nationally, but in Illinois the Democrats won control of the state legislature. Lincoln was one of the leaders of the Whigs in the General Assembly. When the legislature met in January of 1841, the Democrats were able to ram through piece of legislation after piece of legislation opposed by the Whigs. One day Lincoln and two other Whig representatives, in order to forestall a quorum, opened a window and leaped through it. (The Democrats had previously locked the doors to the room where the General Assembly was meeting.) Lincoln and his colleagues found themselves victims of Democrat laughter due to the fact that they had previously voted that day on a motion to adjourn. The motion was defeated, but enough representatives voted on the motion to constitute a quorum. The escape attempt was for naught. T