11Re: monitoring channel activity

  • mitchwinkle
    Apr 24, 2014
      TermTCP is the actual name, not TCPTerm, which is yet another terminal program...hence my confusion.

      I have installed and configured it.  It works almost exactly like the Windows version.  I am very happy to be able to watch the exchanges on the network.

      I downloaded the pre-compiled version and run it on Puppy Linux 5.7.1 as well as Ubuntu 13.10 and the new 14.  Configuration is a bit weird, but you can copy a working BPQTermTCP.ini file over into the same directory as the TermTCP and maybe get a head start.

      VERY IMPORTANT POINT.  As with BPQTermTCP in Windoze, this application uses the FBBPORT TCP port found in the TELNET port definition in bpq32.conf.  So enable that port (if it is commented out) in the bpq32.conf and restart Linbpq to enable it.

      FBBPORT=8011 ; FBB Telnet Inbound Connections

      Then configuring TermTCP is as simple as supplying the ip address (, port (8011 is default for FBBPORT), login id (usually your callsign), and password. This is the same login used in Linbpq for the Telnet Port.

      Then click the "Connect" menu to test your connectivity.  The Right-most menu, "Monitor", allows you to create "Ports" to listen to.  Select "Monitor/Add Port" and "Port 1" will appear...keep doing this until you have added Port 1 through Port4.  These are your Linbpq ports, so if your TNC is on Port 2 in Linbpq, Go back to the menu and select "Monitor/Port 2" and a check mark will appear.  Also in the "Monitor" menu are a list of which types of traffic to monitor.

      "Monitor TX" monitors your transmitted frames.

      "Enable Color", colors your xmitted frames and your rx'd frames and frames for others in three different colors so you can tell them apart easily, just like axlisten.

      Check the other Monitor types as you require.

      You should probably Disconnect and Connect and go back through your menus to ensure all is correct.  At this point you should see frames on your screen if there is packet activity.  If not, connect to a node or BBS and you will see the exchanges.

      The top window frame is the monitor.  The middle window frame is your interactive screen for YOUR connections and the bottom is your line editor for commands that you send.  The commands are exactly the same as in the Web Terminal or BPQTermTCP.  The top two windows have scrollback buffers.

      One thing of note, just like in the web browser terminal, if you connect to another station and then disconnect, TermTCP will disconnect it's connection to Linbpq.  Monitoring will stop and you have to reconnect.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic