ERROR IN MY ARTICLE

  • herman silochan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2012
      No, no, Smokey, I certainly wasn't ticked off; I am sure all us in our school days -elementary and secondary - with different teachers were given rather broad perspectives on aspects of slavery. One of the first questions that should be asked, which group was the first to be enslaved? History tells us that the natives [broadly called Amerindians] encountered by Columbus and his immediate successors were put to work against their wishes, especially to find gold; and there were revolts. Ultimately they were decimated in the islands, but mainly because of European diseases from which they had no immunity.
      It is known that on Columbus' first voyage in 1492, an important navigator with his three caravels was an African named, Pedro Alonso Nino. What was his legal status? Will we ever find out his original African name?
      Go back a bit. The Portuguese from the 14th century onwards in their push down the coast of West Africa, and eventually into the Indian ocean might have been a great European naval accomplishment. It is recorded that many of their guides were sea fearing Africans who knew their parts of the coast. Anyway, the economic "byproduct" from ancillary trading included the buying of slaves [the is a really vast subject for this letter] however with the Spaniards now involved, purchased slaves too.
      The government of Portugal put on an exhibition here in Toronto about ten years ago, called "The Age of Exploration". The matter of slavery was tackled squarely, and in one of the panels, it said that by the mid 16th century, ten percent of the population of Lisbon was African. How many were slaves and how many were "free men"  we do not know. What percentage came across the Atlantic and in what state - slaves or "free men"- we do not know. These Africans would have gone on to that vast Portuguese possession called Brazil. So, say the mid 16th century to the mid 19th century is 300 years. But you are also right in saying 400 years, because of records of Africans imported to the "new world" one hundred years earlier.
      Well, we can meet and discuss further this whenever you wish.
      Sincerely
      Herman