Lightweight snacks

  • escalanteslim
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2010
      I was trying to come up with some nutritious lightweight homemade snacks that I could mail to my mom, who has dementia and isn't eating well anymore. After several attempts, the following recipes turned out pretty good as trail snacks. Thought I would share them here.

      Slim

      Peanut Butter - Banana Crackers

      Mix in blender:
      1 ripe banana
      1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
      1/4 cup honey
      1/2 cup applesauce
      2/3 cup powdered milk
      6 ounce vanilla yogurt

      Add 4 tablespoons banana cream instant pudding mix, blend well.

      Mix in a large bowl with 13 ounce box of Triscuit original crackers until crackers are well coated. Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.

      Strawberry - Banana Cereal

      Mix in blender:
      1 ripe banana
      1 cup sliced fresh strawberries, about 1/2 pound
      2/3 cup powdered milk
      1/4 cup sugar
      6 ounce vanilla yogurt

      Add 4 tablespoons coconut cream instant pudding mix, blend well.

      Mix in a large bowl with 4-1/4 cups unfrosted bite size shredded wheat cereal (I used Kroger brand) until cereal is well coated. Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.

      Butterscotch Pretzels

      Mix in blender:
      6 ounce vanilla yogurt
      2/3 cup powdered milk
      1/4 cup sugar
      1/2 cup applesauce

      Add 4 tablespoons butterscotch instant pudding mix, blend well.

      Mix in a large bowl with 5 cups (one 9-ounce bag) of butter snaps pretzels (the square grid pattern of these pretzels helps hold the coating). Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.
    • Steven
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 25, 2010
        These sound great. I'll definately try them.
        Thanks
        Steve

        --- In lighttrailfood@yahoogroups.com, "escalanteslim" <escalanteslim@...> wrote:

        > I was trying to come up with some nutritious lightweight homemade snacks that I could mail to my mom, who has dementia and isn't eating well anymore. After several attempts, the following recipes turned out pretty good as trail snacks. Thought I would share them here.
        >
        > Slim
        >

        > Peanut Butter - Banana Crackers
        >
        > Mix in blender:
        > 1 ripe banana
        > 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
        > 1/4 cup honey
        > 1/2 cup applesauce
        > 2/3 cup powdered milk
        > 6 ounce vanilla yogurt
        >
        > Add 4 tablespoons banana cream instant pudding mix, blend well.
        >
        > Mix in a large bowl with 13 ounce box of Triscuit original crackers until crackers are well coated. Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.
        >

        > Strawberry - Banana Cereal
        >
        > Mix in blender:
        > 1 ripe banana
        > 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries, about 1/2 pound
        > 2/3 cup powdered milk
        > 1/4 cup sugar
        > 6 ounce vanilla yogurt
        >
        > Add 4 tablespoons coconut cream instant pudding mix, blend well.
        >
        > Mix in a large bowl with 4-1/4 cups unfrosted bite size shredded wheat cereal (I used Kroger brand) until cereal is well coated. Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.
        >

        > Butterscotch Pretzels
        >
        > Mix in blender:
        > 6 ounce vanilla yogurt
        > 2/3 cup powdered milk
        > 1/4 cup sugar
        > 1/2 cup applesauce
        >
        > Add 4 tablespoons butterscotch instant pudding mix, blend well.
        >
        > Mix in a large bowl with 5 cups (one 9-ounce bag) of butter snaps pretzels (the square grid pattern of these pretzels helps hold the coating). Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.

      • longrifle999
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 15, 2011
          If she likes molasses, try a proten fortified Logan Bread with wheat germ, defatted soy and dried milk. Extra molasses, a few eggs, double the baking powder and a bit of ginger make it like ginger bread if it is not hardened in a low oven.
          Dave

          --- In lighttrailfood@yahoogroups.com, "escalanteslim" <escalanteslim@...> wrote:

          > I was trying to come up with some nutritious lightweight homemade snacks that I could mail to my mom, who has dementia and isn't eating well anymore. After several attempts, the following recipes turned out pretty good as trail snacks. Thought I would share them here.
          >
          > Slim
          >

          > Peanut Butter - Banana Crackers
          >
          > Mix in blender:
          > 1 ripe banana
          > 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
          > 1/4 cup honey
          > 1/2 cup applesauce
          > 2/3 cup powdered milk
          > 6 ounce vanilla yogurt
          >
          > Add 4 tablespoons banana cream instant pudding mix, blend well.
          >
          > Mix in a large bowl with 13 ounce box of Triscuit original crackers until crackers are well coated. Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.
          >

          > Strawberry - Banana Cereal
          >
          > Mix in blender:
          > 1 ripe banana
          > 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries, about 1/2 pound
          > 2/3 cup powdered milk
          > 1/4 cup sugar
          > 6 ounce vanilla yogurt
          >
          > Add 4 tablespoons coconut cream instant pudding mix, blend well.
          >
          > Mix in a large bowl with 4-1/4 cups unfrosted bite size shredded wheat cereal (I used Kroger brand) until cereal is well coated. Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.
          >

          > Butterscotch Pretzels
          >
          > Mix in blender:
          > 6 ounce vanilla yogurt
          > 2/3 cup powdered milk
          > 1/4 cup sugar
          > 1/2 cup applesauce
          >
          > Add 4 tablespoons butterscotch instant pudding mix, blend well.
          >
          > Mix in a large bowl with 5 cups (one 9-ounce bag) of butter snaps pretzels (the square grid pattern of these pretzels helps hold the coating). Spread on lightly oiled solid dehydrator trays, dehydrate at 135F until dry.

        • Laurie Ann
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 16, 2011
            Message
            Does she like figs or dates? There are lots of things you can do with those. Let me know and I can post some recipes.

            There is also this trail bar....

            http://www.backpacker.com/skills/12399?page=7 (scroll down and you'll see the recipe for Blueberry Banana Peanut Butter Bars - these have a different name in the first book I wrote)... anyway you can switch the pb with almond butter or other nut butter and you can omit the chocolate if you like or use any mixture of fruit and nuts that appeals to you at the time. It's a great way to use up trail mix. You basically need the honey, brown sugar, peanut butter mixture (and you can sub agave or brown rice syrup), 2 cups of the sturdy cereal and about 1 1/3 cups of fruit, nuts, chocolate (whatever you like). Sometimes I use sunflower seeds or pepitas in place of the nuts. It's a great recipe to have fun with and for experimenting.

            and another...

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 19, 2011
              Actually, she complained about everything that I've sent so far. Anything with dried fruit was too sticky for her fillings, anything with nuts was too hard, etc. But, she's in a nursing home now so she doesn't have to feed herself anymore.

              Dave, thanks for the tip on Logan Bread. I made some today and it turned out really good. I baked it in mini muffin pans instead of the traditional 9x9. I find the mini muffins more durable than bars. The Logan Bread muffins developed a crisp shell that should travel well.

              Laurie Ann, I'll be trying the Banana Breakfast Bars next. I'd also be interested in any suggestions you have for using figs and dates. Although, so far the birds have eaten nearly all of my apricots, figs, and grapes before they were ripe enough to pick.

              Slim

              --- In lighttrailfood@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie Ann" <wild-child@...> wrote:

              > Does she like figs or dates? There are lots of things you can do with those.
              > Let me know and I can post some recipes.
              >
              > There is also this trail bar....
              >
              > <http://www.backpacker.com/skills/12399?page=7>
              > http://www.backpacker.com/skills/12399?page=7 (scroll down and you'll see
              > the recipe for Blueberry Banana Peanut Butter Bars - these have a different
              > name in the first book I wrote)... anyway you can switch the pb with almond
              > butter or other nut butter and you can omit the chocolate if you like or use
              > any mixture of fruit and nuts that appeals to you at the time. It's a great
              > way to use up trail mix. You basically need the honey, brown sugar, peanut
              > butter mixture (and you can sub agave or brown rice syrup), 2 cups of the
              > sturdy cereal and about 1 1/3 cups of fruit, nuts, chocolate (whatever you
              > like). Sometimes I use sunflower seeds or pepitas in place of the nuts. It's
              > a great recipe to have fun with and for experimenting.
              >
              > and another...
              >
              > http://www.wildernesscooking.com/blog/?p=108

            • David Williams
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 20, 2011
                Also, I once had a recipe for 100% soy flour muffins, flavored to an extreme degree (as it must because soy flour is bitter) with orange juice and orange zest.  They tasted like an ordinary muffin but had like four ounces of protein for a medium sized muffin.  If you find it (100% soy recipes may be available online), I might try defatted soy flour since it does not go rancid and has less of an objectionable taste.
                I no longer have the recipe, but doubtless you can find it somewhere. (It has been many year since I used it since my expeditions no longer require either extremes in nutrition or lightness of carry).
                Dave

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 25, 2011
                  Message
                  Christine and Tim Conners of Lipsmackin' Backpackin' fame are putting together some new books and they are requesting recipes.

                  Here is the link to the press release for more information.

                  Laurie Ann