Re: Dehydrator in Canada

  • Laurie
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 16, 2004
      Christine is right - stay away from the Ronco - it takes twice as
      long to dehydrate anything and is rather useless (my opinion). I've
      had great results with the American Harvest.

      I line my trays with parchment paper (cut to fit) so that cleanup is
      a breeze. Parchment works great for sauces too.

      Laurie

      --- In lighttrailfood@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Conners"
      <christineconners@b...> wrote:
      > We tested all the recipes from Lipsmackin' Backpackin' and
      Lipsmackin'
      > Vegetarian Backpackin' in a 15 dollar dehydrator we bought at a
      garage sale.
      > Tim keeps telling me to throw it out cause its gonna catch the
      whole house
      > on fire someday. Naturally I ignore him. Its a pretty tough
      machine. If I
      > dropped it off of Half Dome I'm pretty sure it would survive. Did
      I mention
      > its the ugliest thing you ever saw? I'm hoping I'll be able to
      find it
      > after hurricane Charlie. If you see a big fat dehydrator floating
      along the
      > Intercoastal Waterway come Saturday, its mine and I'd like it back.
      >
      > Have you tried Ebay? I find all kinds of weird things on Ebay. I
      just
      > checked and they have a couple of Excaliburs on sale right now.
      There is
      > also a Harvest Maid which is what I have. Don't buy the Ronco
      garbage if
      > you are planning on dehydrating for years to come. You are looking
      for
      > something that is really ugly, has good circulation and can survive
      a drop
      > from Half Dome.
      >
      > But that's just my personal bias.

    • desertboilermaker
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
        I love my dehydrator! Its an Excalibur with 9 shelves. Not cheap,
        but it is wonderful! No switching trays around, no hassels,
        cleans great, has teflon sheets to dehydrate sauces and liquids.
        Fool proof with thermostat. I have seen them on e-bay in the
        past, however, I purchased mine at a lawn mower/food survival
        store.
        Lisa in AZ