level up slipping

  • joesbus
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22 6:17 PM
      When I try to level my lazy daze,I put the levelers under the tire,when I go to drive up on them,it starts slipping,and it seems like I never can get to the leveling point I want to! I've tryed different things,anyone have any suggestions?
    • Andy Baird
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 22 6:28 PM
        "I put the levelers under the tire, when I go to drive up on them, it starts slipping"

        You didn't mention what kind of levelers you're using. For what it's worth, I've found that Lynx Levelers (the orange blocks, available in most Walmarts) will grip just about any surface from asphalt to gravel or sand. Their edges bite into whatever they're resting on, so they don't slip as you drive on.

        I can't speak for other types of blocks and ramps, other than to say that I tried the yellow ones Camping World sells and found that they shattered in cold weather.

        Andy Baird
        http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
      • Tina Pratt
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22 6:52 PM
          We level with Lynx blocks and have done so since we got our LD in early '07...and we are outbound 7 months a year...to give some perspective and experience to my answer:

          If you find you have to level more than one block high, you need to stage them...for 2 blocks high in front  you need to put down 2 or 3 in a row and then add the second level of 1 or 2 blocks on the offset (that is, bridge the "seam" so that you lock the blocks together).  The higher you need to go, the longer the levels of blocks...so you can gently, but persistently mount the blocks without them skidding away from you.

          If you need more than 1 level of blocks you should not be setting all the needed levels on top of one another without staggering the levels...if you are attempting to mount 2 levels from 0, the blocks will skid away from you almost every time...particularly on concrete or pavement.

          TinaP
          2006 MB "Wild Thing"

        • Andy Baird
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22 7:21 PM
            That's true, Tina--you can't leap two levels of blocks with a single bound. You need to form them into ramps.

            I carry 30 Lynx blocks, so that if necessary I can raise all three wheels on one side by up to 5". I very rarely need to do that, but it's best to be prepared. And the Lynx blocks weigh far less than wooden ramps. (I tried plastic ramps, but even after I found ones that were wide enough for my tires, they only allowed about 3" of lift.)

            Andy Baird
            http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
          • bagmanhamm
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 23 11:55 AM
              --- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, joesbus <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > When I try to level my lazy daze,I put the levelers under the tire,when I go to drive up on them,it starts slipping,and it seems like I never can get to the leveling point I want to! I've tryed different things,anyone have any suggestions?

              Joe, take a look at Fiamma Level Up part 97901-007 on page 1 and optional anti-skid attachment 97901-033 on page 2
              http://www.fiammausa.com/products/accessories.asp?fam=A6&page=1
              Joe Hamm
            • airstrmtim
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 23 12:53 PM
                --- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, joesbus <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > When I try to level my lazy daze,I put the levelers under the tire,when I go to drive up on them,it starts slipping,and it seems like I never can get to the leveling point I want to! I've tryed different things,anyone have any suggestions?

                Sometimes we hold our foot on the brake while making small movements with our RV. This will lock the wheel as it tries to ride up the leveling block and will make the block slide. To eliminate the problem, just engage the parking brake a bit and carefully drive up on the block without touching your foot on the brake pedal.
                Be sure to put your rig in park before you disengage the parking brake.
                Happy leveling!
              • Larry
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 23 3:15 PM
                  "To eliminate the problem, just engage the parking brake a
                  bit and carefully drive up on the block without touching your foot on the brake pedal."

                  It take a bit of practice to learn to keep your foot completely off the brake while leveling. Most fear driving off the back side.
                  In most cases, the only damage, in driving off a block or leveler, is to your pride.
                  Like so many difficult RV procedures, it is better to learn and practice in your driveway, not out in the boonies on a rainy day.

                  Larry