Re: Current LD Charge Controller or Recommended Brand

  • rsawin
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1 5:24 AM
      I would look at a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT 15.

      If you already have a battery monitor like a LinkLite, the sunsaver mppt 15 could be all you need.

      If you need/want a digital readout, you can add the Morningstar RM-1.

      Unless you mount the charge controller very close to the batteries, consider adding the remote temp sensor.

      I see both on the AM Solar website, and they are commonly available from a number of sellers. You're looking at $250-$400 plus install, depending on which options you choose.

      Rich
      '03 MB in NC

      --- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "grzellmer4" <grzellmer@...> wrote:

      > 2 85 watt panels
    • aq433
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1 8:05 AM
        > I would look at a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT 15.
        >
        > If you already have a battery monitor like a LinkLite, the sunsaver mppt 15 could be all you need.
        >
        > If you need/want a digital readout, you can add the Morningstar RM-1.
        >
        > Unless you mount the charge controller very close to the batteries, consider adding the remote temp sensor.
        >
        > I see both on the AM Solar website, and they are commonly available from a number of sellers. You're looking at $250-$400 plus install, depending on which options you choose.

        I use that model, which is a very sophisticated and well-made design. I like it because it is small, can be hidden, and does not need a cutout in any panels, if you do not need the optional readout. Its mounting does have air circulation requirements, but I have never noticed any heat from ours. It has a maximum rating of 200W of solar input, 15A output. It is protected against over-driving, so 170W will be no problem. I am planning to shortly upgrade to 200W solar, from our current 106W, and am anticipating no issues.

        Although I have no solar readout, I do have a LinkLite battery monitor, which is the more useful tool if you want to minimize read-out clutter.

        Steve
      • Rich Gort
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1 9:30 AM
          If your batteries are mounted in the normal "outside" compartment, a
          remote temperature sensor is always a good addition, no matter how close
          the controller is to the battery compartment.

          Rich - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA

          On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, rsawin wrote:

          > Unless you mount the charge controller very close to the batteries,
          consider adding the remote temp sensor.

          > Rich
          > '03 MB in NC
        • rsawin
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1 10:25 AM
            Mine is located 6" or so from the battery compartment :) It makes for short wire runs, and the temps are pretty darn close.

            You do bring up a good point that I didn't make clear. Don't mount your charge controller _IN_ the battery compartment.

            Rich '03MB in NC

            --- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gort <rich@...> wrote:

            > If your batteries are mounted in the normal "outside" compartment, a
            > remote temperature sensor is always a good addition, no matter how close
            > the controller is to the battery compartment.
            >
            > Rich - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
            >

            > On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, rsawin wrote:
            >
            > > Unless you mount the charge controller very close to the batteries,
            > consider adding the remote temp sensor.
            > >
            > > Rich
            > > '03 MB in NC

          • grzellmer4
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1 6:35 PM
              Thanks All.

              I think I have the info I need. Will post up the results after I get the new parts installed.

              Gary