POLICY RELEASE: No waiting lists for veterinary care ...

  • Libertarianz Media Centre
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2002
      Policy Release
      Libertarianz
      Health

      No waiting lists for veterinary care ...
      ========================

      A survey published in the NZ Herald today shows that health and education
      are two of the top three concerns in this election - "as they are every
      election, and with very good reason," says Libertarianz deputy Dr. Richard
      McGrath. He says it is no coincidence at all that health and education are
      both run by government, and that health and education concerns everyone:
      "People should really draw the obvious conclusion from this - that
      governments are simply unable to manage health and education without making
      a mess of them! There are no waiting lists for veterinary care when your pet
      is sick, yet we put up with state hospital waiting lists for sick children.
      Now," asks McGrath, "which one of these two services is run by Nanny State,
      and which is fully privatised?"

      Releasing his party's policy on health, McGrath, a Wairarapa GP and his
      party's spokesman to deregulate health, says that "under government control
      we have 'die-while-you-wait' hospitals, and underpaid teachers in
      underperforming factory schools. If government ran vet clinics I have no
      doubt we would see exactly the same thing - waiting lists, strikes and
      incompetence."

      McGrath says his party's policy on health will take the management of health
      right out of the incompetent hands of government, and put it back where it
      belongs. "We will progressively remove the state from all involvement in
      medicine allowing providers of all forms of prevention, treatment and
      therapy to compete in an open marketplace. 'Die-while-you-wait' state
      hospitals will be given back to their communities to manage as they see fit.
      This transfer will be quite literal, with real ownership transferred in the
      form of shares. Further, significant tax relief will leave money in your
      pocket to spend for your own and your family's health care as they see fit."

      LIBERTARIANZ HEALTH POLICY

      Based on simple libertarian principles:
      - voluntary contractual agreements should be upheld through enforcement
      of the rule of just laws;
      - individuals should be left free to spend their own money on whatever
      level of health care they wish to purchase.

      Policy platform in brief:
      - full privatisation of the health industry, with ownership of state
      medical facilities transferred to the communities who use them and
      the professionals who actually run them;
      - abolition of the centralised control of health services, educational
      facilities and professional bodies;
      - encourage competition in the provision of health services to lower
      cost and increase quality of service.

      Policy detail:
      - implement radical tax reform to give all New Zealanders the option of
      managing their own health budget;
      - phase in user-pays and charitable funding of state hospitals; phase
      out government funding and interference;
      - user-pays, philanthropic, corporate or other private funding of
      health-related training centres (e.g. universities);
      - de-license medical professionals and break the 'boys-club' monopoly;
      allow self-regulation by voluntary bodies (e.g. Medical Association,
      Nurses' Organisation);
      - encourage open immigration of health professionals, in order to bust
      protective monopolistic behaviour within medical sub-specialties,
      ensure more open competition and spur local training centres to
      increase the quality of their graduates;
      - medical subsidies to be provided by charities, co-operatives trade
      unions, friendly societies and insurance companies; not by the
      forcible redistribution of assets and wealth from their rightful
      owners.

      There are no waiting lists for veterinary care when your pet is sick - yet
      we put up with state hospital waiting lists for sick children.
      Now, which one of these two services is run by Nanny State, and which is
      fully privatised?

      VOTE LIBERTARIANZ - in Wellington Central, Tauranga, Hamilton West,
      Whangarei and New Plymouth

      ENDS

      Dr Richard McGrath
      General Practitioner, Masterton