Top Yachties Don't Need Welfare

  • Libertarianz Media Centre
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2007
      PRESS RELEASE

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Sports

      Top Yachties Don't Need Welfare

      "Let's hope Team New Zealand's first defeat in Valencia isn't a sign
      of things to come", says Libertarianz Leader, Bernard Darnton.
      "Whilst the Libertarianz party wishes Emirates Team New Zealand the
      best of luck, we cannot condone the waste of public money surrounding
      the event".

      "The taxpayer, courtesy of Helen Clark and Trevor Mallard, has been
      forced to fund this regatta to the tune of $34 million. They are
      using stolen money to gamble, with no guarantee of success - if Team
      New Zealand fails to win the Americas Cup, we will see no return on
      this huge bet, paid for by the long-suffering taxpayer".

      "Where will it end?" Darnton asks. "We have artists on welfare, we
      have $100,000-dollar-a-year families on welfare, this government has
      even tried to put itself on welfare. We don't need to put our top
      yachties on welfare as well."

      ENDS

      For more information contact:

      Bernard Darnton
      Libertarianz Leader
      Phone: 021 324 466 / 04 586 2182
      Email: bernard.darnton@...

      Libertarianz - More Freedom, Less Government
      www.libertarianz.org.nz