Report Confirms Libz View - Labour Choking Economic Freedom in NZ

  • Libertarianz Media Centre
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2006
      PRESS RELEASE
      Libertarianz
      Economy

      Report Confirms Libz View - Labour Choking Economic Freedom in NZ

      "The grip of Labour's fingers around NZ's economic throat have tightened,"
      claimed Libertarianz leader Bernard Darnton today. "Libertarianz has been
      saying this for years and it has been confirmed by the newly released 2006
      Index of Economic Freedom report."

      "New Zealand has slipped from fifth to ninth on the index and this
      government seems determined to push us lower," says Darnton. "Helen Clark
      has mused aloud about what a great example Sweden is. Sweden places 19th on
      the index - the very bottom of the 'free' category. Presumably we can expect
      our decline to continue under her guidance."

      "Unsurprisingly," notes Darnton, "by far New Zealand's worst performing area
      is 'Fiscal Burden of Government', i.e. the amount of money the government
      steals in taxes from its productive citizens. We rank 101st along with
      economic heavyweights Swaziland, Ghana, and Vietnam."

      "The most important thing to take from this survey is the direction in which
      New Zealand is headed. We're still very lucky to live in one of the world's
      freest countries, but it is a serious concern that the direction in which
      we're heading is one of less freedom, not more. We've already been overtaken
      in many areas by former Communist economies which are freeing themselves
      after decades of repression. Why do we feel the need to take the opposite
      tack?"

      Details of the survey can be found at
      http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/

      ENDS

      Bernard Darnton
      Libertarianz Leader
      Phone: 021 324 466
      Email: bernard.darnton@...

      Libertarianz: More Freedom - Less Government
      www.libertarianz.org.nz