Dump the NCEA? Dump The Whole Stinkin' Ministry

  • Libertarianz Media Centre
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 4:00 PM
      PRESS RELEASE
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Education

      Dump the NCEA? Dump The Whole Stinkin' Ministry
      ======================================

      Peter Osborne, the Libertarianz Spokesman to Deregulate Education today
      applauded Act MP, Deborah Coddington's call to allow school dumping of the
      NCEA.

      He asks, "Why stop there though? Why not allow schools and parents to
      re-gather control of their children's education and dump state interference
      in education altogether?"

      Osborne elaborates, "The history exam paper which asked students to write
      about Maori issues during the 1960s and 70s from the point of view of a
      'National MP not sympathetic to Maori concerns' is a case in point. This is
      a classic example of government using education as a tool to influence the
      thinking processes of New Zealand's young minds." He says, "I am amazed at
      the brazenness of such a loaded question. I do marvel at this government's
      judgement though as I had thought that, as a society, we weren't ready to
      swallow this kind of propaganda so lamely just yet - but obviously we are."

      "Miss Coddington, however, misses the point. She would like to dump the
      NCEA only to replace it with her preferred model. This is the real problem
      with politicians from all parties. They each have their own ideas on the
      issue, but they are all in agreement the education sector should stay under
      government control - they each just disagree then on the precise form that
      control should take. Miss Coddington's model may be an improvement,"
      concedes Osborne, "but as governments come and go education will always
      devolve to the braindead scenario we are forced to put up with now."

      Mr Osborne concludes, "Libertarianz have a written constitution that would
      not allow future governments to force their ideology on anyone, let alone
      students. With freedom comes knowledge, but with coercion and control we
      will only ever be fed ignorance and half-truths. There are two ways of
      dealing with this situation. Either New Zealanders sit back and allow this
      farce to continue until it can no longer sustain itself, or people begin
      demanding back their freedom and that of their children. A free and
      unregulated market is the only possible avenue by which people can truly
      attain control of their children's education. Schooling, curriculum and
      exam setting can all be done by the private sector and the choices will
      evolve with demand. Propaganda will give way to knowledge and finally
      people will be equipped to pursue their own dreams and happiness, unmolested
      by control freaks in Wellington."

      ***Libertarianz: More Freedom - Less Government ***

      ENDS
      For more information contact:
      Peter Osborne
      LIBERTARIANZ SPOKESMAN