You Damn Well Voted For It

  • Libertarianz Media Centre
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2004
      PRESS RELEASE
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Education

      You Damn Well Voted For It
      =====================

      Bill English makes an interesting point when he says that Labour's 'revamp
      of the school network review has left thousands of parents angry,' but when
      he notes parents' 'sullen acceptance' of these closures he says more about
      the electorate than he does about Mallard. So says Peter Osborne, the
      Libertarianz Spokesman for Education Deregulation.

      'Here is the crux of the problem,' says Osborne. 'The educational future of
      every child in New Zealand is at the mercy of Trevor Mallard. The Minister
      has the power to close down any school he likes and there is nothing the
      parents or teachers can do. That's the way the system is set up, and that's
      what parents continue to vote for - sullenly, or not - over and over again.'

      Osborne says the New Zealand public should take this as a lesson. 'They vote
      away their own responsibilities - willingly relinquishing their own freedom,
      and that of their children - and their chickens are now coming home to
      roost. In this current educational circus we are seeing only a snippet of
      what is yet to come. This situation will get far worse and for the
      privilege the taxpayer will be squeezed like nothing we have yet seen. And
      they will vote for that, too.'

      He continues, 'As far as I'm concerned, until the public learn this
      inescapable reality they get what they damn well deserve because they
      continue to vote for it. Mallard, English, Coddington.what's the
      difference. They all think that they know what is best for our children and
      the public will continue to adhere to their dictates over and over again
      until the lesson is finally realised, and they stop voting for more of the
      same.'

      Mr Osborne concludes, 'When New Zealanders finally wake up, Libertarianz
      will be able to separate the state from education entirely - in the same way
      and for the same reasons as the state is separate from the church: The
      Ministry of Education will be closed down as a matter of urgency; systematic
      extortion will remain a criminal act, and the state will not be exempt from
      this; parents will get their tax money back, and be free to choose and to
      pay for private education of their own liking. Schools will prosper or fall
      on their own merits. Most importantly, they will not be at the mercy of
      ignoramuses in the Beehive.'

      ENDS

      For more information contact:
      Peter Osborne
      LIBERTARIANZ SPOKESMAN TO DEREGULATE EDUCATION
      Phone: 0274 326 005, e-mail: ospar@...

      Libertarianz: More Freedom - Less Government
      www.libertarianz.org.nz