Tanczos Sees Folly of Regulation

  • Libertarianz Media Centre
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2004
      PRESS RELEASE
      LIBERTARIANZ
      ECONOMY

      Tanczos Sees Folly of Regulation
      ======================

      Libertarianz Deputy Stephen Berry commends comments from Green MP Nandor
      Tanczos regarding regulation of the hemp industry. Berry says, "Mr. Tanczos
      has identified the heavy weight of bereaucracy and compliance that could
      destroy New Zealand's small hemp industry."

      Medsafe is the authority charged with regulating the hemp industry. It
      licenses growers, tests their crops and regulates what is produced. Berry
      says, "I also agree with Nandor that Medsafe has no business being involved
      in the hemp industry. Of course, unlike Tanczos, I'd say this about every
      other regulatory body in every other industry."

      Medsafe wish to charge a $550 fee for the licensing of hemp growers and to
      test the THC content of plants regularly, which costs an extra $300 each
      time.

      Stephen Berry asks, "How did these people get the idea that they are right
      to do this? Why should they be allowed to charge people for growing what
      they wish on their own land? Worst of all, Medsafe expects hemp growers to
      fund their own potential incrimination, through charging them for the
      testing of THC content in plants. Even if the industry isn't completely
      destroyed by this, the few remaining growers will have had theior property
      rights steamrolled."

      Libertarianz can appreciate the small progress being made in the
      liberalisation of laws surrounding cannabis related issues. "It is good that
      we have gotten this far," says Berry, "but there is still much progress to
      be made. We cannot be satisfied until people are left to grow their hemp in
      peace, without being hounded and destroyed by bereaucrats and clipboard
      nazis."

      ends

      Stephen Berry
      Libertarianz Deputy