commctrl.dll

  • John Jacques
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 3, 2001
      Hello, I've found a few of the LB progrograms I would really like to use
      require the win95/98 commctrl.dll file.

      I'm running win2K and they call it comctl32.dll. I was wondering if
      there is any way of running the programs on win2k? I tried renameing the
      dll, but it wasn't compatible at all.

      Any ideas? What about future plans? Do the authors of open18 and
      freeform able to make a version for win2k? I think (not sure at all)
      that the difference between the .dll files is 16 and 32 bit respectfuly.

      Thanks
      John
    • A. Watson
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2001
        At 07:09 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
        > Hello, I've found a few of the LB progrograms I would really like to use
        > require the win95/98 commctrl.dll file.
        >
        > I'm running win2K and they call it comctl32.dll. I was wondering if
        > there is any way of running the programs on win2k? I tried renameing the
        > dll, but it wasn't compatible at all.

        Did you try running the programs as they are written? The 32-bit Windows
        DLLs recognize calls to their 16-bit counterparts. User32 accepts calls to
        User, GDI32 accepts calls to GDI, etc. In LB2, you MUST make the calls to
        the 16-bit DLL names, but the 32-bit DLLs will handle the functions. The
        programs you mention run fine for me on Win98.

        Both the open source editor and freeform have been ported to LB3 by the
        testers and both work fine.

        Regards,
        Alyce
      • John Jacques
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 4, 2001
          The problem is Windows 2000 does not have "commctrl.dll".

          "A. Watson" wrote:

          > At 07:09 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
          > > Hello, I've found a few of the LB progrograms I would really like to use
          > > require the win95/98 commctrl.dll file.
          > >
          > > I'm running win2K and they call it comctl32.dll. I was wondering if
          > > there is any way of running the programs on win2k? I tried renameing the
          > > dll, but it wasn't compatible at all.
          >
          > Did you try running the programs as they are written? The 32-bit Windows
          > DLLs recognize calls to their 16-bit counterparts. User32 accepts calls to
          > User, GDI32 accepts calls to GDI, etc. In LB2, you MUST make the calls to
          > the 16-bit DLL names, but the 32-bit DLLs will handle the functions. The
          > programs you mention run fine for me on Win98.
          >
          > Both the open source editor and freeform have been ported to LB3 by the
          > testers and both work fine.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Alyce

        • Doyle Whisenant
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 4, 2001
            John Jacques wrote:

            > The problem is Windows 2000 does not have "commctrl.dll".

            I foresee that 16 bit programming is soon to be a thing of the past...
            :(

            --
            Doyle Whisenant
            mechanic@...
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 4, 2001
              Not being familier with win2000 or winNT I wonder if you could thunk the
              calls? I have been told that neither one supports 16bit DLL calls any more,
              (I don't know how true this is).
              Ken
              > The problem is Windows 2000 does not have "commctrl.dll".
              >
              > "A. Watson" wrote:
              >
              > > At 07:09 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
              > > > Hello, I've found a few of the LB progrograms I would really like to
              use
              > > > require the win95/98 commctrl.dll file.
              > > >
              > > > I'm running win2K and they call it comctl32.dll. I was wondering if
              > > > there is any way of running the programs on win2k? I tried renameing
              the
              > > > dll, but it wasn't compatible at all.
              > >
              > > Did you try running the programs as they are written? The 32-bit
              Windows
              > > DLLs recognize calls to their 16-bit counterparts. User32 accepts calls
              > > User, GDI32 accepts calls to GDI, etc. In LB2, you MUST make the calls
              > > the 16-bit DLL names, but the 32-bit DLLs will handle the functions.
              The
              > > programs you mention run fine for me on Win98.
              > >
              > > Both the open source editor and freeform have been ported to LB3 by the
              > > testers and both work fine.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Alyce

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • John Jacques
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 5, 2001
                Hello, I made modifications to open18.bas so it will check for an NT/2000
                Operating System at startup, and then:

                1) Added startup check for a file named "c:\winnt" (if you no a better method
                please change this). I was actually hoping a built in command would take care of
                this like "Platform$", but didn't find one.

                2) Added an NT check for the 4 places I found references to "commctrl.dll" &
                #cctl
                3) Added an NT check to the "[winfile]" procedure to use "explorer.exe" on
                NT/2000 systems
                4) Added an NT check to the "[paint]" procedure to use "mspaint.exe" on NT/2000
                systems

                Now what do I do with it-who do I send it to? It should run as normal for
                win95/98 systems.

                Thanks
                John

                "Kenneth J. Lewis, Sr." wrote:

                > Not being familier with win2000 or winNT I wonder if you could thunk the
                > calls? I have been told that neither one supports 16bit DLL calls any more,
                > (I don't know how true this is).
                > Ken

              • Moore, Brad
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 6, 2001
                  Was Open 18 the latest version? I thought it was Open19 with the Riched.dll
                  support. I think this is the version we need to be changing, so that there
                  are not multiple "official" versions of the open source editor.

                  Brad

                • DaveJBaker@djbaker.screaming.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 8, 2001
                    To follow up, if I may, commctrl.dll IS a problem, Win 98 and Win Me
                    are happy calling this, but one of the guys I have trialling my
                    program has Win 2K pro, and it crashes when it can't find the dll -
                    I've tried using comctl32.dll, but that just hangs on attempting
                    opening. (As expected). I've sent a copy of the 16 bit version to the
                    user, to see if adding it will sort him out....

                    As far as I can tell, this means LB2 is not Win 2K compatible, unless
                    there's a fix or an alternative DLL to provide progress bars? (In my
                    case).

                    By the way Alyce, my printing to Epson problem is sorted, I chopped
                    some bits from your prngrph3.bas - and first indications are that
                    this method of screendumping doesn't hang Eps.printers... if this
                    proves true (still waiting for results from other users) I'll shove
                    $10 into paypal for you as a thankyou!

                    Dave
                  • John Jacques
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 8, 2001
                      Hello, just a note about sending comctrl.dll to your user: Some have hacked
                      it and got it working for a short time and then find out their ntfs file
                      system to be corrupted. One of the "phases" win2k programmers went threw was
                      a hack on commctrl.dll and winfile.exe. (** never use winfile.exe on ntfs).
                      They thought they got it working and all, but after a dozen times or so their
                      file systems were all corrupted beyond repair.

                      As far as LB2.02 (I'm running) being compatible with win2k: The only thing
                      that isn't working correctly is the HELP section(s). No copying text to the
                      clipboard, the window is a bit paste the right edge (a few pixels) whenever a
                      new help section is opened.. I do not know if this is the way the HELP
                      section works on win95/98, so I never said anything.

                      I think if the .bas program does an OS check, or checks to see if
                      commctrl.dll is available then things would go good. The authors might want
                      to specify their application is win95/98 only or something? Windows NT 3.51
                      supposedly had a library pack (from M$) that had it's own compatible dll's
                      including commctrl.dll, but they did not have a version for NT 4.0 or higher.

                      John

                      DaveJBaker@... wrote:

                      > To follow up, if I may, commctrl.dll IS a problem, Win 98 and Win Me
                      > are happy calling this, but one of the guys I have trialling my
                      > program has Win 2K pro, and it crashes when it can't find the dll -
                      > I've tried using comctl32.dll, but that just hangs on attempting
                      > opening. (As expected). I've sent a copy of the 16 bit version to the
                      > user, to see if adding it will sort him out....
                      >
                      > As far as I can tell, this means LB2 is not Win 2K compatible, unless
                      > there's a fix or an alternative DLL to provide progress bars? (In my
                      > case).
                      >
                      > By the way Alyce, my printing to Epson problem is sorted, I chopped
                      > some bits from your prngrph3.bas - and first indications are that
                      > this method of screendumping doesn't hang Eps.printers... if this
                      > proves true (still waiting for results from other users) I'll shove
                      > $10 into paypal for you as a thankyou!
                      >
                      > Dave

                    • Dave J Baker
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 8, 2001
                        Thanks John,
                        I'm using LB2.02, looks like I'll have to do without progress bars then,
                        I don't want to mess his ntfs up.

                        Thanks for the heads up.

                        Dave

                        DaveJBaker@... wrote:

                        > To follow up, if I may, commctrl.dll IS a problem, Win 98 and Win Me
                        > are happy calling this, but one of the guys I have trialling my
                        > program has Win 2K pro, and it crashes when it can't find the dll -
                        > I've tried using comctl32.dll, but that just hangs on attempting
                        > opening. (As expected). I've sent a copy of the 16 bit version to the
                        > user, to see if adding it will sort him out....
                        >
                        > As far as I can tell, this means LB2 is not Win 2K compatible, unless
                        > there's a fix or an alternative DLL to provide progress bars? (In my
                        > case).
                        >
                        > By the way Alyce, my printing to Epson problem is sorted, I chopped
                        > some bits from your prngrph3.bas - and first indications are that
                        > this method of screendumping doesn't hang Eps.printers... if this
                        > proves true (still waiting for results from other users) I'll shove
                        > $10 into paypal for you as a thankyou!
                        >
                        > Dave

                      • Doyle Whisenant
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 8, 2001
                          Dave J Baker wrote:

                          > Thanks John,
                          > I'm using LB2.02, looks like I'll have to do without progress bars then,
                          > I don't want to mess his ntfs up.
                          >
                          > Thanks for the heads up.

                          Why don't you just roll your own? Check out the attachment from Ryan
                          Jeffords (sp?)

                          --
                          Doyle Whisenant
                          mechanic@...
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 8, 2001
                            You must be Psychic <g>
                            I just emailed the guy in question and said 'forget the DLL, I'll write
                            an alternative...' I'll check the zip out thanks, and thanks for the
                            replies!

                            Dave

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 8, 2001
                              Doyle,

                              the API attachment was interesting, but didn't seem relevant to my problem
                              with progress bars - I built an effective look alike from a window with a
                              graphic box, drawing a 'boxfilled' every 10% - it looks pretty good to be
                              honest... not to mention the fact that you get to alter the colours etc <g>

                              Thanks for the input, I'll file it away - these things always come in
                              useful!

                              Dave
                            • carlg@libertybasic.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 10, 2001
                                --- In libertybasic@y..., Doyle Whisenant <mechanic@s...> wrote:
                                > Dave J Baker wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Thanks John,
                                > > I'm using LB2.02, looks like I'll have to do without progress
                                bars then,
                                > > I don't want to mess his ntfs up.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for the heads up.
                                >
                                > Why don't you just roll your own? Check out the attachment from Ryan
                                > Jeffords (sp?)

                                It is easy to write your own, as Doyle suggests. The compile
                                progress bar in LB is written by me, from scratch. ;-)

                                -Carl
                              • Dave J Baker
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 10, 2001
                                  Thanks Carl,
                                  that's exactly what I did <g> Looks better, uses less lines of code up,
                                  and I can make it any colour I like....
                                  Dave

                                  > > I'm using LB2.02, looks like I'll have to do without progress
                                  bars then,
                                  > > I don't want to mess his ntfs up.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for the heads up.
                                  >
                                  > Why don't you just roll your own? Check out the attachment from Ryan
                                  > Jeffords (sp?)

                                  It is easy to write your own, as Doyle suggests. The compile
                                  progress bar in LB is written by me, from scratch. ;-)

                                  -Carl

                                • uga8092
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 2, 2002
                                    I have been using the commctrl dll to make tool tips in Win 9x but it
                                    is no longer supported in Win XP. Does anyone know what dll can be
                                    used in Win XP to make tool tips? Thanks
                                  • John Jacques
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 2, 2002
                                      In LB 2.02 there is not. In LB3 you can use the 32 bit version which has a
                                      new name which I do not recall off hand. maybe comctl32.dll?

                                      John

                                      uga8092 wrote:

                                      > I have been using the commctrl dll to make tool tips in Win 9x but it
                                      > is no longer supported in Win XP. Does anyone know what dll can be
                                      > used in Win XP to make tool tips? Thanks

                                    • b6sw
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 2, 2002
                                        ' TOOLTIPS32.BAS
                                        ' An example of using 32-bit tooltips.
                                        ' By Brent D. Thorn, 2001

                                        NoMainWin

                                        Button #1.1, "One", One, UL, 0, 0, 40, 25
                                        Button #1.2, "Two", Two, UL, 40, 0, 40, 25
                                        Button #1.3, "Three", Three, UL, 80, 0, 40, 25
                                        Button #1.4, "Four", Four, UL, 120, 0, 40, 25
                                        Button #1.5, "Five", Five, UL, 160, 0, 40, 25

                                        Open "Tooltips" For Window As #1

                                        #1 "TrapClose [Quit]"

                                        Open "ComCtl32" For DLL As #comctl
                                        Open "User32" For DLL As #user

                                        Call CreateTooltip Hwnd(#1), 0, 0
                                        Call AddTool Hwnd(#1.1), "One"
                                        Call AddTool Hwnd(#1.2), "Two"
                                        Call AddTool Hwnd(#1.3), "Three"
                                        Call AddTool Hwnd(#1.4), "Four"
                                        Call AddTool Hwnd(#1.5), "Five"

                                        [Wait]
                                        Input A$
                                        Notice A$
                                        GoTo [Wait]

                                        [Quit]
                                        Close #1

                                        Close #comctl
                                        Close #user

                                        End

                                        Sub CreateTooltip hwndParent, style, flags
                                        If hwndTooltip(0) Then
                                        Notice "Tooltip already created."
                                        Else
                                        Struct TOOLINFO, cbSize As long, uFlags As long, hwnd As
                                        long, uId As long, _
                                        rectLeft As long, rectTop As long, rectRight As long,
                                        rectBottom As long, _
                                        hinst As long, lpszText As ptr
                                        TOOLINFO.cbSize.struct = Len(TOOLINFO.struct)
                                        TOOLINFO.uFlags.struct = flags Or 17 'TTF_IDISHWND Or
                                        TTF_SUBCLASS
                                        TOOLINFO.hwnd.struct = hwndParent
                                        Struct A, New As struct
                                        CallDLL #comctl, "InitCommonControls", ret As void
                                        CallDLL #user, "GetWindowLongA", hwndParent As long,
                                        _GWL_HINSTANCE As long, hInstance As long
                                        CallDLL #user, "CreateWindowExA", 0 As
                                        long, "tooltips_class32" As ptr, 0 As long, style As long, _
                                        _CW_USEDEFAULT As long, _CW_USEDEFAULT As long,
                                        _CW_USEDEFAULT As long, _CW_USEDEFAULT As long, _
                                        hwndParent As long, 0 As long, hInstance As long, 0 As
                                        long, ret As long
                                        hwndTooltip(0) = ret
                                        End If
                                        End Sub

                                        Sub AddTool hWnd, Text$
                                        TOOLINFO.uId.struct = hWnd
                                        TOOLINFO.lpszText.struct = Text$
                                        ' Create a new instance of TOOLINFO.
                                        A.New.struct = TOOLINFO.struct
                                        hwndTT = hwndTooltip(0)
                                        msg = _WM_USER + 4 'TTM_ADDTOOL
                                        pti = A.New.struct 'pointer to instance of TOOLINFO
                                        CallDLL #user, "SendMessageA", hwndTT As long, msg As long, _
                                        0 As long, pti As long, ret As long
                                        End Sub