RE: [libertybasic] Publishing Newsletters

  • Jimenez, Ben M. (TFP)
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2 12:23 PM
      Brad,

      I usually read the letter as soon as I get it, I don't comment all the time
      on it though. I do save them all for future reference.

      Ben

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2 4:03 PM
        Ben - I know exactly what you mean. I too read the newsletters and
        enjoy them, but sometimes don't comment - often because the article
        doesn't pertain to what I am doing.

        I was merely thinking aloud online - musing to myself in public, as
        it were.

        I must admit that I made a terible mistake in the newsletter - Alyce
        had given me a fantastic article to publish and in the confused mess
        of my life, my laptop and my desktop computers I missplaced it and it
        did not make it to copy.

        I feel very bad for the community and Alyce (whose feeling I hope I
        did not hurt) as they are going to benefit from the article as
        planned. I am sure Alyce will rectify the problem next month by
        releasing the article in the September issue of the LBNews. Sorry
        folks.

        Thanks. BRad.

        --- In libertybasic@y..., "Jimenez, Ben M. (TFP)" <bmjimenez@t...>
        wrote:
        > Brad,
        >
        > I usually read the letter as soon as I get it, I don't comment all
        the time
        > on it though. I do save them all for future reference.
        >
        > Ben

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • AW
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3 9:26 AM
          At 11:03 PM 8/2/02 -0000, you wrote:
          > I must admit that I made a terible mistake in the newsletter - Alyce
          > had given me a fantastic article to publish and in the confused mess
          > of my life, my laptop and my desktop computers I missplaced it

          Brad, no problem at all. You had a jam-packed newsletter! It was
          interesting to see two approaches to list controls, very different, but
          very clever. The article on memory management by Dennis was incredibly
          clever as well. Brad, your detailed article, "The Road to Release" was an
          excellent guide for getting a program ready for public consumption. People
          often ask about using the runtime engine to produce standalone programs,
          and you've covered that plus a lot more. It is especially important to do
          the testing you suggest to make sure your program is bug free and
          user-friendly, before even thinking about releasing to the public. We have
          a terrific follow-up article next month on shareware marketing strategies
          by Eldron Gill.

          The publishers try to provide articles for all levels of programming
          skills, and segments of programming interest; utilities, math, games,
          graphics, etc. Our ideas come partly from our own interests, and partly
          from the discussions in the forums. If you have a subject that you think
          should be covered in a future newsletter, or if you want to submit an
          article, please do! Email one of the publishers listed at the bottom of
          each newsletter.

          Brad, I know that a LOT of people will be putting this one in their stack
          of "keepers" to refer to many times.

          Thanks, Bill Jennings for your quick update to the index and contents files
          that make it SO easy to find things in all of these newsletters!

          Thanks again Brad, Mike, Dennis and Brent. Great stuff!

          Alyce

          .
        • skatin_ste
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
            hi! I just wanted to say that i'm interested in writing for magazines
            and if you'd like any help with the newsletter, like writing articles
            or something, I'll be glad to help! : )
          • Alyce Watson
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
              At 02:26 PM 9/25/2002 +0000, you wrote:
              hi! I just wanted to say that i'm interested in writing for magazines
              and if you'd like any help with the newsletter, like writing articles
              or something, I'll be glad to help! : )

              Hello skatin ste,

              Nice to see you in the group.  Check the bottom of any recent newsletter for the email addresses of the publishers.  Just send your articles to one of us.  The next newsletter is due to be published by Brad Moore around October 1.

              We love getting submissions from the group.  An article is an explanatory piece, and it can be any length and about any subject that will interest Liberty BASIC programmers.  A tutorial is a step-by-step instructional piece that should lead the reader through the learning process for some type of Liberty BASIC programming.  A demo is a small program that demonstrates a coding technique.  It should contain helpful comments, and it should include an explanatory paragraph.  In general, the explanatory paragraph will appear in the body of the newsletter, and the program code file will be included in the zip attachment, to avoid any formatting problems that might be introduced by email clients.

              Regarding your other message:  you can use any icon editor to create 16-color icons for your LB programs, and then use the LB icon editor to embed them in your runtime engine.  There are many commercial, shareware and freeware icon editors available, and there is even one written in Liberty BASIC.  LB Workshop contains an icon editor that allows you to extract icons from exes, dlls, or even to create them from bitmaps.

              Regards,
              Alyce
            • skatin_ste
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
                thanks for the info about your newsletter, I'll think of something to
                write about lol. : )