Re: [libertybasic] Re: New Newsletter & Include File

  • Dean Jolly
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hi Brad,

      Its nice to hear that im not the only one who thinks LB is more than a "toy
      language".
      And I have finally finished an other serial com project. I had to build for
      the lab a synthesis unit that converts radio active CO2 into HCN ( the HCN
      is used as abuilding block for many things ). All the communication between
      the PC and the unit is serial.
      That way valves, ovens, etc are easely controled.

      If you get stuck i'd be happy to help,

      Dean Jolly
      Cyclotron facility
      MNI
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
        Well thanks again to Dean for the submission of the staring character
        for the June 2002 (issue 97) newsletter.

        Like they say: "Liberty Basic - its not just for breakfast anymore"

        Or was that orange juice. Its all running together...

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • lazman2001
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2002
          Hi Dean,

          Thanks for the offer to help out. I might just need it! I haven't
          even played with serial stuff yet. So It's going to be all new to me.
          I feel shure that it's going to be easier than ploting an ellipse on
          any thing than other than the X and Y plane! (BTW: [A CRY FOR HELP!]
          If anyone knows how to plot an ellipse with the major axis on any
          angle PLEASE LET ME KNOW!)

          I seem to have missed the first line when deleting the message from
          Brad Moore. I sent the message about LB being a "toy language". Just
          to clear up any confusion. ;)
          Thanks,
          ~laz

          --- In libertybasic@y..., "Dean Jolly" <tron@n...> wrote:
          > Hi Brad,
          >
          > Its nice to hear that im not the only one who thinks LB is more
          than a "toy
          > language".
          > And I have finally finished an other serial com project. I had to
          build for
          > the lab a synthesis unit that converts radio active CO2 into HCN (
          the HCN
          > is used as abuilding block for many things ). All the
          communication between
          > the PC and the unit is serial.
          > That way valves, ovens, etc are easely controled.
          >
          > If you get stuck i'd be happy to help,
          >
          > Dean Jolly
          > Cyclotron facility
          > MNI

        • sniperlt
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 6, 2002
            Since you guys are talking about serial communication maybe you can
            point me to a SIMPLE tutorial on the PC serial port. Like what are
            the voltages and currents on the differnet pins, the timeings, what
            pin does what e.t.c

            --- In libertybasic@y..., "Dean Jolly" <tron@n...> wrote:
            > Hi Brad,
            >
            > Its nice to hear that im not the only one who thinks LB is more
            than a "toy
            > language".
            > And I have finally finished an other serial com project. I had to
            build for
            > the lab a synthesis unit that converts radio active CO2 into HCN (
            the HCN
            > is used as abuilding block for many things ). All the
            communication between
            > the PC and the unit is serial.
            > That way valves, ovens, etc are easely controled.
            >
            > If you get stuck i'd be happy to help,
            >
            > Dean Jolly
            > Cyclotron facility
            > MNI
          • Dean Jolly
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 6, 2002
              Hi,
              you can try the following :

              http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

              Dean
              > Since you guys are talking about serial communication maybe you can
              > point me to a SIMPLE tutorial on the PC serial port. Like what are
              > the voltages and currents on the differnet pins, the timeings, what
              > pin does what e.t.c
              >
              > --- In libertybasic@y..., "Dean Jolly" <tron@n...> wrote:
              > > Hi Brad,
              > >
              > > Its nice to hear that im not the only one who thinks LB is more
              > than a "toy
              > > language".
              > > And I have finally finished an other serial com project. I had to
              > build for
              > > the lab a synthesis unit that converts radio active CO2 into HCN

              > the HCN
              > > is used as abuilding block for many things ). All the
              > communication between
              > > the PC and the unit is serial.
              > > That way valves, ovens, etc are easely controled.
              > >
              > > If you get stuck i'd be happy to help,
              > >
              > > Dean Jolly
              > > Cyclotron facility
              > > MNI

            • tenochtitlanuk
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 9, 2002
                '> If anyone knows how to plot an ellipse with the major axis on any
                '> angle PLEASE LET ME KNOW!)

                'I thought I'd posted my plays with elipses. Here is one..
                'Try the following, which calls my function in a loop
                ' to generate a nested family-

                nomainwin

                UpperLeftX = 50
                UpperLeftY = 50
                WindowWidth = 700
                WindowHeight = 500

                open "ellipse" for graphics as #main

                print #main, "trapclose [quit]"

                r1 =100
                r2 =200

                PI = 3.14159265

                phi = 35

                col$( 0) ="pink"
                col$( 1) ="black"
                col$( 2) ="red"
                col$( 3) ="green"
                col$( 4) ="blue"
                col$( 5) ="yellow"
                col$( 6) ="cyan"
                col$( 7) ="lightgray"

                for j=0 to 20 step 0.5
                dummy =ellipse( 300, 200, j *20, j *10, 8*rnd(1), j/10)
                next j

                print #main, "flush"
                wait

                [quit]
                close #main
                end

                'define a function for drawing general ellipses
                function ellipse( x, y, r1, r2, col, phi)
                'x, y are position of centre.
                'r1 & r2 are the two semi-axis lengths
                ' col is a colour number so can easily select colour
                ' phi is the rotation of the major axis
                ' PS angles are in radians so 360 degrees is 2 Pi ie 6.28..

                a =r1
                b =0
                xx =x +a *cos( phi) -b *sin( phi)
                yy =y +a *sin( phi) +b *cos( phi)
                print #main, "goto "; str$( xx); " "; str$( yy)
                print #main, "down"
                print #main, "color "; col$( col)

                for theta =0 to 6.28302 step 0.02
                a =r1 *cos( theta)
                b =r2 *sin( theta)
                xx =x +a *cos( phi) -b *sin( phi)
                yy =y +a *sin( phi) +b *cos( phi)
                print #main, "goto "; str$( xx); " "; str$( yy)
                scan
                next theta

                print #main, "up"
                end function
              • lazman2001
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 10, 2002
                  --- In libertybasic@y..., "tenochtitlanuk" <john.fisher@t...> wrote:

                  > 'I thought I'd posted my plays with elipses. Here is one..
                  > 'Try the following, which calls my function in a loop
                  > ' to generate a nested family-

                  Thanks, John? It was just what I was needing.

                  ~laz