Re: [libertybasic] New Newsletter Published

  • Brian Rankin
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hi. Like the newsletter.Very informative and full of usefull snippets.

          Brian.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
        Brad, Alyce, Tom and all:

        Really a fine newsletter. My comments:

        > SyntaxError: Some words from the editor

        Thanks, Brad, for editing June's issue.

        > Tipcorner: Dumping a file directly into a texteditor

        I never knew this! Really useful. Might have to update my Bible
        program to take advantage of this.

        > Spotlight: Three items that caught my fancy recently...

        Congratulations again to the contest winners and to Eldron. Well
        done! And thank you, Laz, for the bitmap packer.

        > Article: Serial Communication with LB - by Dean Jolly

        Dean, if I ever need to do serial comm, I know to whom to come.

        > Review: David Drake reviews Image321.DLL

        If you haven't tried the image editor, you should.

        > Advanced: Implementing an editor with Scintilla.dll

        This is a remarkable piece of work. I'd like to learn more about it,
        and how to implement in conjuction with native LB text-handling code.
        Too cool, Mitchell!

        - David
      • Cor Massar
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
          Well done that nr 97. I can use one of the snippets. Fine solution. Thanks guys
          and keep up the good work.

          Cor Massar

          "Moore, Brad" wrote:

          > Hi there. I would like to let everyone here know about the newest edition
          > of the Liberty Basic Newsletter, issue 97 which was published today. It is
          > published in the YahooGroup "LBNews". The URL to this group is :
          >
          > What is in this issue you ask? Well here is a brief table of contents - you
          > will have to go get the newsletter (if it was not delivered to you directly
          > already) to read the rest:
          >
          > SyntaxError: Some words from the editor
          > Tipcorner: Dumping a file directly into a texteditor
          > Spotlight: Three items that caught my fancy recently...
          > Article: Serial Communication with LB - by Dean Jolly
          > Review: David Drake reviews Image321.DLL
          > Noteworthy: Translating Documentation
          > Advanced: Implementing an editor with Scintilla.dll
          > Submissions: Submit articles for publication
          > Attachments: List of included files.
          >
          > If you are not receiving your issue automatically it may be because you are
          > not a member of the LBNews Group. If you would like to join and receive
          > future issues (as well as have access to past issues) please navigate your
          > webbrowser over to the site and become a member.
          >
          > Thanks for your time.
          >
          > Brad Moore
          > Sr. Analyst - ADS Product Tracking MES Applications
          > Weyerhaeuser Company
          > Voice : (541) 756-9481
          > Fax: (541) 756-7612
          > brad.moore@...

        • lazman2001
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
            --- In libertybasic@y..., "Moore, Brad" <brad.moore@w...> wrote:

            Great News Letter! There's some verry good stuff in it! I'm really
            glad to see the serial stuff. I'm going to need it in the next few
            weeks for a project that i'm working on at work. I setup and run
            lasers that burn parts out of sheets of metal. One of the lasers
            doesn't have a disk drive. The only way to communicate with it is
            through serial communication. These lasers are Million dollar lasers,
            and i'm writing a program that outputs code to control it. So anyone
            that thinks LB is a "Toy" language hasn't taken the time to learn
            what LB can do.

            Also, I'm supprized to see my Include File program in the News
            Letter!! I was thinking that no one was intrested in it. I haven't
            recieved ANY feedback on it until now.

            I'm still not shure how big of a file it can handle. Or if there are
            any files that it can't handle. (I did try a 20Meg bmp and it locked
            up). I work 12 hours shifts on Fri,Sat, and Sun. So I haven't had
            time to work on it the past few days. But, I'm working on adding and
            index to the output file. So that you can load it up in the program
            and view the files that have been added. Also, you will be able to
            add and remove files, and preview the bmp's and wav's. After I get
            that done I plan on using Alyce's great graphics dll (Thanks Alyce!)
            to make the bmp preview a little better, and use nview.dll so other
            graphic files can be previewed.

            Well that's the plan for now anyhow. My new baby girl arrived 4
            months ago and I haven't had the time I use to have to work on
            learning LB and writing programs, so bare with me. If anyone would
            like to work on Include File please feel free! If you do improve on
            it I would like to have a copy! :)

            A note to Carl G.,
            Maybe in a future release of LB. It would be possible to use a method
            simular to the one that i'm using in Include File or another method
            to include files and unpack them using native LB. Or maybe, a command
            to load a bmp from a string. That way once a bmp is unpacked into a
            string it can be loaded from the string, instead of written to the HD
            then loaded. (This would save some time on the loading of unpacked
            bmps)

            Well I think that this message is long enough :)
            Thanks to everyone that had a part in making the news letter!

            ~laz
          • Dean Jolly
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
              Hi Brad,

              Its nice to hear that im not the only one who thinks LB is more than a "toy
              language".
              And I have finally finished an other serial com project. I had to build for
              the lab a synthesis unit that converts radio active CO2 into HCN ( the HCN
              is used as abuilding block for many things ). All the communication between
              the PC and the unit is serial.
              That way valves, ovens, etc are easely controled.

              If you get stuck i'd be happy to help,

              Dean Jolly
              Cyclotron facility
              MNI
              > Great News Letter! There's some verry good stuff in it! I'm really
              > glad to see the serial stuff. I'm going to need it in the next few
              > weeks for a project that i'm working on at work. I setup and run
              > lasers that burn parts out of sheets of metal. One of the lasers
              > doesn't have a disk drive. The only way to communicate with it is
              > through serial communication. These lasers are Million dollar lasers,
              > and i'm writing a program that outputs code to control it. So anyone
              > that thinks LB is a "Toy" language hasn't taken the time to learn
              > what LB can do.
              >
              > Also, I'm supprized to see my Include File program in the News
              > Letter!! I was thinking that no one was intrested in it. I haven't
              > recieved ANY feedback on it until now.
              >
              > I'm still not shure how big of a file it can handle. Or if there are
              > any files that it can't handle. (I did try a 20Meg bmp and it locked
              > up). I work 12 hours shifts on Fri,Sat, and Sun. So I haven't had
              > time to work on it the past few days. But, I'm working on adding and
              > index to the output file. So that you can load it up in the program
              > and view the files that have been added. Also, you will be able to
              > add and remove files, and preview the bmp's and wav's. After I get
              > that done I plan on using Alyce's great graphics dll (Thanks Alyce!)
              > to make the bmp preview a little better, and use nview.dll so other
              > graphic files can be previewed.
              >
              > Well that's the plan for now anyhow. My new baby girl arrived 4
              > months ago and I haven't had the time I use to have to work on
              > learning LB and writing programs, so bare with me. If anyone would
              > like to work on Include File please feel free! If you do improve on
              > it I would like to have a copy! :)
              >
              > A note to Carl G.,
              > Maybe in a future release of LB. It would be possible to use a method
              > simular to the one that i'm using in Include File or another method
              > to include files and unpack them using native LB. Or maybe, a command
              > to load a bmp from a string. That way once a bmp is unpacked into a
              > string it can be loaded from the string, instead of written to the HD
              > then loaded. (This would save some time on the loading of unpacked
              > bmps)
              >
              > Well I think that this message is long enough :)
              > Thanks to everyone that had a part in making the news letter!
              >
              > ~laz

            • mooreathome65
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
                Well thanks again to Dean for the submission of the staring character
                for the June 2002 (issue 97) newsletter.

                Like they say: "Liberty Basic - its not just for breakfast anymore"

                Or was that orange juice. Its all running together...

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • lazman2001
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2002
                  Hi Dean,

                  Thanks for the offer to help out. I might just need it! I haven't
                  even played with serial stuff yet. So It's going to be all new to me.
                  I feel shure that it's going to be easier than ploting an ellipse on
                  any thing than other than the X and Y plane! (BTW: [A CRY FOR HELP!]
                  If anyone knows how to plot an ellipse with the major axis on any
                  angle PLEASE LET ME KNOW!)

                  I seem to have missed the first line when deleting the message from
                  Brad Moore. I sent the message about LB being a "toy language". Just
                  to clear up any confusion. ;)
                  Thanks,
                  ~laz

                  --- In libertybasic@y..., "Dean Jolly" <tron@n...> wrote:
                  > Hi Brad,
                  >
                  > Its nice to hear that im not the only one who thinks LB is more
                  than a "toy
                  > language".
                  > And I have finally finished an other serial com project. I had to
                  build for
                  > the lab a synthesis unit that converts radio active CO2 into HCN (
                  the HCN
                  > is used as abuilding block for many things ). All the
                  communication between
                  > the PC and the unit is serial.
                  > That way valves, ovens, etc are easely controled.
                  >
                  > If you get stuck i'd be happy to help,
                  >
                  > Dean Jolly
                  > Cyclotron facility
                  > MNI

                • sniperlt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6, 2002
                    Since you guys are talking about serial communication maybe you can
                    point me to a SIMPLE tutorial on the PC serial port. Like what are
                    the voltages and currents on the differnet pins, the timeings, what
                    pin does what e.t.c

                    --- In libertybasic@y..., "Dean Jolly" <tron@n...> wrote:
                    > Hi Brad,
                    >
                    > Its nice to hear that im not the only one who thinks LB is more
                    than a "toy
                    > language".
                    > And I have finally finished an other serial com project. I had to
                    build for
                    > the lab a synthesis unit that converts radio active CO2 into HCN (
                    the HCN
                    > is used as abuilding block for many things ). All the
                    communication between
                    > the PC and the unit is serial.
                    > That way valves, ovens, etc are easely controled.
                    >
                    > If you get stuck i'd be happy to help,
                    >
                    > Dean Jolly
                    > Cyclotron facility
                    > MNI
                  • Dean Jolly
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 6, 2002
                      Hi,
                      you can try the following :

                      http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

                      Dean
                      > Since you guys are talking about serial communication maybe you can
                      > point me to a SIMPLE tutorial on the PC serial port. Like what are
                      > the voltages and currents on the differnet pins, the timeings, what
                      > pin does what e.t.c
                      >
                      > --- In libertybasic@y..., "Dean Jolly" <tron@n...> wrote:
                      > > Hi Brad,
                      > >
                      > > Its nice to hear that im not the only one who thinks LB is more
                      > than a "toy
                      > > language".
                      > > And I have finally finished an other serial com project. I had to
                      > build for
                      > > the lab a synthesis unit that converts radio active CO2 into HCN

                      > the HCN
                      > > is used as abuilding block for many things ). All the
                      > communication between
                      > > the PC and the unit is serial.
                      > > That way valves, ovens, etc are easely controled.
                      > >
                      > > If you get stuck i'd be happy to help,
                      > >
                      > > Dean Jolly
                      > > Cyclotron facility
                      > > MNI

                    • tenochtitlanuk
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 9, 2002
                        '> If anyone knows how to plot an ellipse with the major axis on any
                        '> angle PLEASE LET ME KNOW!)

                        'I thought I'd posted my plays with elipses. Here is one..
                        'Try the following, which calls my function in a loop
                        ' to generate a nested family-

                        nomainwin

                        UpperLeftX = 50
                        UpperLeftY = 50
                        WindowWidth = 700
                        WindowHeight = 500

                        open "ellipse" for graphics as #main

                        print #main, "trapclose [quit]"

                        r1 =100
                        r2 =200

                        PI = 3.14159265

                        phi = 35

                        col$( 0) ="pink"
                        col$( 1) ="black"
                        col$( 2) ="red"
                        col$( 3) ="green"
                        col$( 4) ="blue"
                        col$( 5) ="yellow"
                        col$( 6) ="cyan"
                        col$( 7) ="lightgray"

                        for j=0 to 20 step 0.5
                        dummy =ellipse( 300, 200, j *20, j *10, 8*rnd(1), j/10)
                        next j

                        print #main, "flush"
                        wait

                        [quit]
                        close #main
                        end

                        'define a function for drawing general ellipses
                        function ellipse( x, y, r1, r2, col, phi)
                        'x, y are position of centre.
                        'r1 & r2 are the two semi-axis lengths
                        ' col is a colour number so can easily select colour
                        ' phi is the rotation of the major axis
                        ' PS angles are in radians so 360 degrees is 2 Pi ie 6.28..

                        a =r1
                        b =0
                        xx =x +a *cos( phi) -b *sin( phi)
                        yy =y +a *sin( phi) +b *cos( phi)
                        print #main, "goto "; str$( xx); " "; str$( yy)
                        print #main, "down"
                        print #main, "color "; col$( col)

                        for theta =0 to 6.28302 step 0.02
                        a =r1 *cos( theta)
                        b =r2 *sin( theta)
                        xx =x +a *cos( phi) -b *sin( phi)
                        yy =y +a *sin( phi) +b *cos( phi)
                        print #main, "goto "; str$( xx); " "; str$( yy)
                        scan
                        next theta

                        print #main, "up"
                        end function
                      • lazman2001
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 10, 2002
                          --- In libertybasic@y..., "tenochtitlanuk" <john.fisher@t...> wrote:

                          > 'I thought I'd posted my plays with elipses. Here is one..
                          > 'Try the following, which calls my function in a loop
                          > ' to generate a nested family-

                          Thanks, John? It was just what I was needing.

                          ~laz