RE: [libertybasic] MIDI DLL now available

  • Jorge Ramon Hernandez V
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2002
      Alyce :

      I had this behavior before, when my directories has names with spaces.
      If this midi archive (classicl.mid) is in another directory without spaces then works fine.

      Jorge
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2002
        Oh that is bad news. I have tested it on several systems including three
        different Win98 boxes. Did you write you own program to test the dll? Did
        you check the return status from the dll? Was it a 2? That would indicate
        that the midi file was not found.

        Here is the PB code for the DLL. The part that plays the dll is pretty much
        a clone of your MIDI playing code for LB. I do not know if there is a
        function to increase volume, but I think there is. If you know it, mybe I
        can integrate it as an optional parameter.

        <<PlayMIDI32.bas>>
        Thanks.

        Brad Moore
        Sr. Analyst - ADS Product Tracking MES Applications
        Weyerhaeuser Company
        Voice : (541) 756-9481
        Fax: (541) 756-7612
        brad.moore@...

        > ----------

      • Moore, Brad
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2002
          Jorge - you hit the nail right on top of the head. Thanks for your insight.
          The problem is the string passed to the dll has a space in the filename
          (path actually), because the midi file is contained in a directory with a
          space in the directory name. I am not too sure how to get around this. I
          did test the hypothisis and here is a modified test program for LB3 that
          calls the dll, but strips off the path for the midi file. This means the
          MIDI file must be in the current working directory. As long as the test
          program and the midi file are on the same directory and it is your current
          directory, stripping off the path and just passing the filename works, even
          if the midi file is in a directory that has spaces in the name.

          <<testmidi.bas>>

        • Moore, Brad
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2002
            Yes! Very good. I will make the change. That is a great idea. Thanks
            Alyce.

            Brad Moore
            Sr. Analyst - ADS Product Tracking MES Applications
            Weyerhaeuser Company
            Voice : (541) 756-9481
            Fax: (541) 756-7612
            brad.moore@...

            > ----------

          • watson
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2002
              At 01:40 PM 5/1/02 -0700, you wrote:
              >Jorge - you hit the nail right on top of the head. Thanks for your insight.
              >The problem is the string passed to the dll has a space in the filename
              >(path actually), because the midi file is contained in a directory with a
              >space in the directory name. I am not too sure how to get around this.

              What I do: use GetShortPathName, which returns the filename in 8.3 format.
              Can you do this in your dll?

              Alyce
            • Guy Canida
              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2002
                Brad,

                I used your test program and your mid file. No sound. Tried other mid file, same, no sound. The mid files are ok (I used them else where)

                Moore, Brad wrote:
                Oh that is bad news.  I have tested it on several systems including three
                different Win98 boxes.  Did you write you own program to test the dll?  Did
                you check the return status from the dll?  Was it a 2?  That would indicate
                that the midi file was not found.

                Here is the PB code for the DLL.  The part that plays the dll is pretty much
                a clone of your MIDI playing code for LB.  I do not know if there is a
                function to increase volume, but I think there is.  If you know it, mybe I
                can integrate it as an optional parameter.

                <<PlayMIDI32.bas>>
                Thanks.

                Brad Moore
                Sr. Analyst - ADS Product Tracking MES Applications
                Weyerhaeuser Company
                Voice : (541) 756-9481
                Fax: (541) 756-7612
                brad.moore@...

                > ----------

              • Moore, Brad
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2002
                  I trust you have seen the other threads on this. It is a problem with the
                  dll handling file paths with spaces in them. The funny thing is that the
                  problem happens at the API call into the M$ supplied functions, not the PB
                  code. I have a PB function that verified the existance of the file before
                  attempting to play, and it works even with spaces in the filename.

                  Just goes to show that the public makes much better testers than the
                  developer. I will be releasing an updated version fairly soon (day or two)
                  - stop by later and check.

                  Incidently you should be able to get the demo to work even with paths with
                  spaces if you edit the selection in the textbox and remove the path and just
                  leave the filename for the MIDI file and then press PlayIt (presuming it is
                  in the same directory as you are running the demo and also the dll).

                • Moore, Brad
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2002
                    Ok, that makes sense. I learn everyday. It is a very powerfull dll that
                    implements many functions with just a few actual entry points, but lots of
                    "commands"!

                    Brad Moore
                    Sr. Analyst - ADS Product Tracking MES Applications
                    Weyerhaeuser Company
                    Voice : (541) 756-9481
                    Fax: (541) 756-7612
                    brad.moore@...

                    > ----------

                  • watson
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2002

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 2, 2002
                        Thanks everyone for the checking out of the MIDI Dll on the LB Connection
                        website. I have updated the error that prevented the MIDI from playing when
                        the MIDI file was in a directory with a space in the name.

                        Again the file is avaialble from http://www.freewebz.com/lb-connection

                        Thanks.

                        Brad Moore
                        Sr. Analyst - ADS Product Tracking MES Applications
                        Weyerhaeuser Company
                        Voice : (541) 756-9481
                        Fax: (541) 756-7612
                        brad.moore@...

                        > > Now for the bad news... I got a message that the midi was started
                        > > successfully, but I heard nothing. I turned my volume to max and I
                        > > thought
                        > > I could detect some music, but not sure. Immediately afterwards, I ran
                        > > one
                        > > of my own midi demo programs and it played just fine. I switched back
                        > and
                        > > forth between your program and mine several times, and I closed and
                        > opened
                        > > LB as well. I'm using win98, if that helps?
                        > >
                        > > Alyce

                      • John Haddon
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3, 2002

                          Please turn off the emails. Your flooding my system.

                          Thanks everyone for the checking out of the MIDI Dll on the LB Connection
                          website.  I have updated the error that prevented the MIDI from playing when
                          the MIDI file was in a directory with a space in the name.

                          Again the file is avaialble from http://www.freewebz.com/lb-connection

                          Thanks.

                          Brad Moore
                          Sr. Analyst - ADS Product Tracking MES Applications
                          Weyerhaeuser Company
                          Voice : (541) 756-9481
                          Fax: (541) 756-7612
                          brad.moore@...

                          > > Now for the bad news... I got a message that the midi was started
                          > > successfully, but I heard nothing.  I turned my volume to
                          max and I
                          > > thought
                          > > I could detect some music, but not sure.  Immediately
                          afterwards, I ran
                          > > one
                          > > of my own midi demo programs and it played just fine.  I
                          switched back
                          > and
                          > > forth between your program and mine several times, and I closed
                          and
                          > opened
                          > > LB as well.  I'm using win98, if that helps?
                          > >
                          > > Alyce

                        • Egill
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 3, 2002
                            John,
                            Did you see the statement at the end of each email you get?

                            It states:
                            to:

                            Eldron