Trouble with Windows 2000

  • carlg@libertybasic.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 6:04 PM
      I received email today from a registered user of Liberty BASIC using Windows 2000. He pulled an all night programming session only to find his code was gone the next morning. I know I hate it when that sort of thing happens to me. Here's how it happened:

      He wrote some code. He saved it several times using a filename more than 8 characters long. The Windows file dialog didn't complain, and neither did Liberty BASIC. The code was not written to disk. He didn't know it was lost until he tried to reload it.

      I know in Windows 95/98 the file dialog will not let you enter a filename which does not conform to the standard 8.3 conventions. I won't be able to confirm this on NT until tomorrow.

      Can someone else here running Windows 2000 (or even ME) try saving a file in LB using a longer than 8 character filename to see if it breaks as described above? I would be grateful. :-)

      -Carl
    • GSAC3@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 6:33 PM
        CARL:

        I am running Windows-ME on a P4 system. I just tried saving a file
        under LB (your most recent version) that had a name greate than 8
        characters long (not including the entension) and LB/Windows
        complained and would not execute the save.

        Don

        --- In libertybasic@y..., carlg@l... wrote:
        > I received email today from a registered user of Liberty BASIC using
        Windows 2000. He pulled an all night programming session only to find
        his code was gone the next morning. I know I hate it when that sort
        of thing happens to me. Here's how it happened:

        > He wrote some code. He saved it several times using a filename more
        than 8 characters long. The Windows file dialog didn't complain, and
        neither did Liberty BASIC. The code was not written to disk. He
        didn't know it was lost until he tried to reload it.

        > I know in Windows 95/98 the file dialog will not let you enter a
        filename which does not conform to the standard 8.3 conventions. I
        won't be able to confirm this on NT until tomorrow.

        > Can someone else here running Windows 2000 (or even ME) try saving a
        file in LB using a longer than 8 character filename to see if it
        breaks as described above? I would be grateful. :-)

        > -Carl
      • Brian Schmalz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1 7:02 PM
          I just tried it with Win2K, and in fact it _does_ break exactly as
          specified.

          The file was created with a filename that was just the first 8 letters of
          the original (longer) filename. But it was 0 bytes in length.

          *Brian Schmalz
        • D Jempson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1 9:01 PM
            Liberty Basic running under Windows ME does nor permit filenames containing in excess of eight characters to be saved - at least not on my machine.

            I work round this problem by using Alyce's LB Workshop to open LB.  Since this is a 32-bit program filenames containing more than eight characters can be saved.

            Derek