How to extract these words?

  • Sarmed
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2013
      Hi All,
      Hi Mike,

      Past many days and till now I was absence, I am offline, sorry if I am not respond. Now I am using internet in café.
      I am going to build a dictionary, small GUI, the user can add what he wants to add, two languages, and more over it is portable as it wrote under LB. So when I go to internet café to see what's up in group, I can use it. I will use your examples as a seed.
      I see a commercial dictionary they use some fetchers, one of them I don't how they do it, so I wrote to you, I hope you help, you or anyone in the group who has experience in this aspect.
      For example if you write wer and hit enter the result will be:

      Wer [Error]
      We
      Were
      Wear
      Weir
      Where
      Wee

      The program said it is an error and gives suggests.
      The question is how the program extract these words? What rule the program use, or what routine?
      Of course the words given, was included in the dictionary. And if you see they are not alphabetic order, how then the program do that.
      The same thing I found in MSWord and the editor of Yahoo, they gives suggests to replace the error.
      You or any member could give me some hints, I still thinking of this matter.
      Thanks to you,
      Thanks to all members of LB forum.

      Regards,
      Sarmed
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2013
        This link seems to discuss how it might be achieved.

        http://norvig.com/spell-correct.html

        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Sarmed" <sarmednafi@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > Past many days and till now I was absence, I am offline, sorry if I am not respond. Now I am using internet in café.
        > I am going to build a dictionary, small GUI, the user can add what he wants to add, two languages, and more over it is portable as it wrote under LB. So when I go to internet café to see what's up in group, I can use it. I will use your examples as a seed.
        > I see a commercial dictionary they use some fetchers, one of them I don't how they do it, so I wrote to you, I hope you help, you or anyone in the group who has experience in this aspect.
        > For example if you write wer and hit enter the result will be:
        >
        > Wer [Error]
        > We
        > Were
        > Wear
        > Weir
        > Where
        > Wee
        >
        > The program said it is an error and gives suggests.
        > The question is how the program extract these words? What rule the program use, or what routine?
        > Of course the words given, was included in the dictionary. And if you see they are not alphabetic order, how then the program do that.
        > The same thing I found in MSWord and the editor of Yahoo, they gives suggests to replace the error.
        > You or any member could give me some hints, I still thinking of this matter.
        > Thanks to you,
        > Thanks to all members of LB forum.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Sarmed

      • Mike -
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
          Yo Sarmed,
          Your question was interesting and challenging.
          Consider it done.
          Will post the answer 10:00 GMT.
          '-----------------------------------------

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
            Only the following words in this little dictionary:
            we
            were
            wear
            weir
            where
            wee
            weird

            '---start code
            nomainwin

            [rd1]
            read wd$ :if wd$="EndData" then [dimming]
            read df$ :tot=tot+1
            goto [rd1]

            [dimming]
            dim wd$(tot),df$(tot)
            restore
            for x=1 to tot
            read wd$,df$ :wd$(x)=wd$ :df$(x)=df$
            next

            WindowWidth = 550 :WindowHeight = 410
            UpperLeftX = 10 :UpperLeftY = 10
            stylebits #w, 0,_WS_MAXIMIZEBOX,0,0
            stylebits #w.Lbx,_Ws_VSCROLL, _ES_AUTOHSCROLL, 0, 0
            stylebits #w.tbxDf, _WS_VSCROLL,_ES_AUTOHSCROLL,_ES_MULTILINE,0

            statictext #w.st1, "Word:", 80, 60, 130, 20
            textbox #w.tbxWd, 80, 80, 100, 25
            button #w.btn,"Ok",[ok], UL, 185, 85, 35, 20
            statictext #w.st2, "Definition:", 300, 60, 130, 20
            textbox #w.tbxDf, 300, 80, 150, 140
            statictext #w.st3, "Did you mean?:", 85, 160, 150, 20
            Listbox #w.Lbx, wdx$(), [Selected], 85, 150, 115, 100
            button #w.clr,"Clear",[clear], UL, 300, 230, 45, 20
            stylebits #w.btn, _BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON, 0, 0, 0
            button #w.btn, "", DefaultButton, UL, -10, -10

            open "You mean? .... by Mike" for window_nf as #w
            #w, "font georgia 9" :#w, "trapclose [quit.w]"
            [clear]
            #w.tbxWd "" :#w.tbxDf ""
            #w.tbxWd "!setfocus" :#w.Lbx "hide" :#w.st3 "!hide"
            #w.Lbx "singleclickselect"
            wait

            [ok]
            #w.tbxWd "!contents? inp$"
            dfn$=""
            for x=1 to tot:if wd$(x)=inp$ then dfn$=df$(x):exit for
            next
            if dfn$="" then
            for x=1 to tot
            LtrIn=0
            inplen=len(inp$)
            for y=1 to inplen:Ltr$=mid$(inp$,y,1)
            if instr(wd$(x),Ltr$) then LtrIn=LtrIn+1
            next
            if LtrIn<=1 then [show]
            #w.Lbx "show" :#w.st3 "!show"
            wdx$=wdx$+wd$(x)+" "
            gosub [wdcount] :redim wdx$(wdtot)
            for y=1 to wdtot :wdx$(y)=word$(wdx$,y) :next
            #w.Lbx "reload"
            next
            end if
            [show]
            if dfn$="" then dfn$="Not found"
            #w.tbxDf dfn$
            wait

            [Selected]
            #w.Lbx, "selectionIndex? selnr"
            #w.tbxWd wd$(selnr) :#w.tbxDf df$(selnr)
            wait

            [quit.w]
            close #w
            END
            '-----------------------------------------------------------
            [wdcount]
            wt=0 :do :wt=wt+1 :wd$=word$(wdx$,wt)
            if wd$="" then wt=wt-1 :exit do
            loop until wd$=""
            wdtot=wt
            return

            data we, us
            data were, "past tense of was"
            data wear, "put on clothes,etc"
            data weir, "a small dam"
            data where, "eg; where is Apls?"
            data wee, "a small part"
            data weird, "strange; out of this world; funny"
            data EndData
            '----end code

            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Mike - <skynetmike@...> wrote:

            > Yo Sarmed,
            > Your question was interesting and challenging.
            > Consider it done.
            > Will post the answer 10:00 GMT.
            > '-----------------------------------------

          • green8819
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
              Here is another "definition" for 'weird':
              After I post a code, I download it, test it; only then I find a bug, that's what I call 'weird'.

              Please change:
              button #w.btn, "", DefaultButton, UL, -10, -10
              to:
              button #w.btn, "", [ok], UL, -10, -10

              Sorry.
              Thanks.

              --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "green8819" <skynetmike@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > close #w
              > END
              > '-----------------------------------------------------------
              > [wdcount]
              > wt=0 :do :wt=wt+1 :wd$=word$(wdx$,wt)
              > if wd$="" then wt=wt-1 :exit do
              > loop until wd$=""
              > wdtot=wt
              > return
              >
              > data we, us
              > data were, "past tense of was"
              > data wear, "put on clothes,etc"
              > data weir, "a small dam"
              > data where, "eg; where is Apls?"
              > data wee, "a small part"
              > data weird, "strange; out of this world; funny"
              > data EndData
              > '----end code
              >

              > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Mike - <skynetmike@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yo Sarmed,
              > > Your question was interesting and challenging.

            • Sarmed N.
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
                Thank you Rod,

                I got the page, this evening I will study it.

                ________________________________
                This link seems to discuss how it might be achieved.

                http://norvig.com/spell-correct.html

                --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Sarmed" <sarmednafi@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                > Hi Mike,
                >
                > Past many days and till now I was absence, I am offline, sorry if I am not respond. Now I am using internet in café.
                > I am going to build a dictionary, small GUI, the user can add what he wants to add, two languages, and more over it is portable as it wrote under LB. So when I go to internet café to see what's up in group, I can use it. I will use your examples as a seed.
                > I see a commercial dictionary they use some fetchers, one of them I don't how they do it, so I wrote to you, I hope you help, you or anyone in the group who has experience in this aspect.
                > For example if you write wer and hit enter the result will be:
                >
                > Wer [Error]
                > We
                > Were
                > Wear
                > Weir
                > Where
                > Wee
                >
                > The program said it is an error and gives suggests.
                > The question is how the program extract these words? What rule the program use, or what routine?
                > Of course the words given, was included in the dictionary. And if you see they are not alphabetic order, how then the program do that.
                > The same thing I found in MSWord and the editor of Yahoo, they gives suggests to replace the error.
                > You or any member could give me some hints, I still thinking of this matter.
                > Thanks to you,
                > Thanks to all members of LB forum.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Sarmed

              • Sarmed N.
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
                  Thank you Mike,

                  Thanks very much, I am sure you do faithfully to help.
                  But,
                  How could I understand (Yo Sarmed)?
                  Is it means you are busy and I took your time, I am sorry then.
                  Or its mean it is a simple problem I asking for?
                  Or its means You Again Give Me Some Room Will You?
                  However,
                  Whatever I am not understand the meaning, I thank you very much.

                  Best Regards,
                  Sarmed

                  ________________________________
> [...]

                  > close #w
                  > END
                  > '----------------------------------------------------------
                  > [wdcount]
                  > wt=0 :do :wt=wt+1 :wd$=word$(wdx$,wt)
                  > if wd$="" then wt=wt-1 :exit do
                  > loop until wd$=""
                  > wdtot=wt
                  > return
                  >
                  > data we, us
                  > data were, "past tense of was"
                  > data wear, "put on clothes,etc"
                  > data weir, "a small dam"
                  > data where, "eg; where is Apls?"
                  > data wee, "a small part"
                  > data weird, "strange; out of this world; funny"
                  > data EndData
                  > '----end code
                  >

                  > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Mike - <skynetmike@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yo Sarmed,
                  > > Your question was interesting and challenging.

                • green8819
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
                    None of the below.
                    It's a term used by US guys, when one friend meets another, especially of similar ranking, or 'pecking order'. I learned from TV shows.
                    Thanks for clarifying.
                    Good night.

                    --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Sarmed N." <sarmednafi@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Mike,
                    >
                    > Thanks very much, I am sure you do faithfully to help.
                    > But,
                    > How could I understand (Yo Sarmed)?
                    > Is it means you are busy and I took your time, I am sorry then.
                    > Or its mean it is a simple problem I asking for?
                    > Or its means You Again Give Me Some Room Will You?
                    > However,
                    > Whatever I am not understand the meaning, I thank you very much.
                    >
                    > Best Regards,
                    > Sarmed

                  • Sarmed N.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2013