Re: [libertybasic] Re: pb11

  • Sarmed N.
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 23, 2013
      > Normally I post what I learn.   ...

      For me, I very appreciate that, with thanks and respects.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
        Thank you Sarmed. Thank you Mike.

      • Sarmed N.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
          Henrik,

          Follow the following link, and give a gentle thank to the author.

           http://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=97p7kcfo2gaf8#mail

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
            Sorry, the link lead to no result, instead made a search inside your mail box about this word "Thanks to internet" don't forget to write the quotation marks.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
              Here is the correct link

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                Thank you
                Sarmed, of course with thanks to Mike who wrote the series of fcq.
                The code has
                many mistakes, after corrections according to Mike and Jack hints, it was
                working OK, and the “pmwd.txt” hidden file was created.
                But, this
                sort of hidden files is not protected very well in Windows O/S , like the bat
                file which you have sent to hide a folder and use PW, I think “Latino” as I
                remember.
                In Windows,
                you can click folder option=>select the radio button of Show hidden
                files---=>uncheck the check box of Hide protected operating system files---.
                All hidden
                file will be shown, or you can use attrib  –s –h in MS DOS to show a certain file permanently.
                So to make a
                file as a “Hidden System” is not a real hidden, there is a freeware called My
                Lockbox, it really hides a file absolutely but I don’t know it works.
                It will be
                great if someone find away in LB with same aim.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                  Yo Henrik,

                  You wrote, "...The code has many mistakes..."
                  That many?
                  If you care (not dare), can you list down at least 5 of them?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                    > you can click folder option=>select the radio button of Show hidden
                    > files---=>uncheck the check box of Hide protected operating system files---.
                    > All hidden
                    > file will be shown, or you can use attrib  –s –h in MS DOS to show a certain file permanently.
                    > So to make a
                    > file as a “Hidden System” is not a real hidden, there is a freeware called My
                    > Lockbox, it really hides a file absolutely but I don’t know it works.

                    Henrik,

                    I had a friend, at the early days we were in
                    secondary school he decided to make a lock to his wooden drawer in his desk
                    table, he make the lock with a key. Next day he lost the key so he break the
                    lock easily, he said to himself the lock must be hard to break, this time I
                    will made the lock stronger, he did. This story happened to him three or four
                    times, at last he destroy the drawer face. After all these decades, we look to
                    the old desk table and laugh at the destroyed drawer face.
                    One day I see a 24 years man or so, turn around the
                    PC technicians, asking them to help, the account files were on his Lap Top hard
                    drive the hard drive stop working (failed), he wants someone open the hard
                    drive, remove the disk, and put it instead of a new disk hard drive he bought.
                    Look how much big disaster he had to do that. He was ready to pay to save his
                    files. He was don't care if the new hard disk destroyed for this operation.
                    I wonder you want to hide your data files forever!,
                    you will lost them soon or later.
                    Some viruses hide their files with a special way of
                    compression, we discover these files using WINRAR program. Or Linux operating
                    system.
                    Whatever way you use to hide your files, you have to
                    make a pack up file, to save your data if the machine was broken, and this file
                    must be not hidden.
                    All data base programmers knows very well they have
                    not to choose to hurt the user, it's a crime, one way to do that by hide the
                    data file in a way he can't find them.

                    Regards

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 27, 2013
                      Hey Mike

                      Firstly, you
                      seem, you are interpreting the sentence I wrote “The code has many mistakes”, in a wrong way. I did not mean you are not
                      doing well.
                      If
                      your code fcq46 is copied,
                      it will not run unless all correction is done.

                      Secondly, you
                      may go back to your concerned messages dated Feb 12, 2013  8:42 am
                      REPLACE 1 LINE:
                      dim info$(10, 10)
                      WITH:
                      dim info$(1,1)

                      REPLACE 3 LINES:
                      'if file exists, then name of file=qz$
                      if fileExists(DefaultDir$,qzFile$) then
                      qz$=info$(1,0)
                      qz$=info$(1,0) :qzlen=len(qz$)
                      :qz$=mid$(qz$,4,qzlen-7)+ " Quiz"
                      WITH:
                      'if file exists, then name of file=file$
                      if fileExists(DefaultDir$,qzFile$) then
                      file$=info$(1,0):qz$=left$(file$,3)+"."

                      REPLACE 1 LINE:
                      #w.Lbx "hide" :#w.topic
                      "!show" :#w.topic qz$+"- ";topic$
                      WITH:
                      #w.Lbx "hide" :#w.topic
                      "!show" :#w.topic word$(file$,1,".")+"-- "+topic$

                      And your message dated Feb 13, 2013   7:27 am

                      PLEASE REPLACE:
                      sub pause delay
                      stTime = time$("ms")
                      while time$("ms") <<<<
                      WEND is missing
                      WITH:
                      sub pause delay
                      stTime = time$("ms")
                      while time$("ms")<stTime+delay:
                      wend
                      end sub
                      function fileExists(path$,filename$)
                      files path$, filename$, info$()
                      fileExists = val(info$(0, 0))
                      end function

                      1) "dim info$(1,1)" is enough for this
                      program.
                      "dim info$(10, 10)" is too high.

                      2) The other two corrections are NOT necessry if
                      the user is saving his quiz
                      files as, for example:
                      01-History
                      02-Geography

                      Instead, if the quiz files are saved as:
                      History
                      Geography
                      then the two corrections ARE necessary.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 27, 2013
                        Having a
                        good and strong secured lock for the house door doesn't mean the key must be
                        lost.
                        You my generalize this principle to files security.
                        I always
                        have additional USB HD to save all necessary files.

                        Regards

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 27, 2013
                          Sarmed

                          To have a good and strong
                          secured lock for the house door doesn't mean the key must be lost.

                          I always have additional
                          USB HD to backup all necessary files. and everybody has his own way to keep his files safely.

                          Regards

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 27, 2013
                            All relevant corrections were indeed made and posted as fcq47 and fcq48, but you picked an older version.

                            Is what happens when you echo NNN's "Breaking News" broadcast which is notorious for transmitting crap.

                            Let's forget about fcq46. Your previous echo was something about "Latino". Is it a real LB program that worked for you?

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                              > I always have additional> USB HD to backup all necessary files. and everybody has his own way to keep his files safely.

                              We all not sure if these equipment are safe, one day I use USB flash of 8G after 15 minute it stopped working forever.

                              > To have a good and strong
                              > secured lock for the house door doesn't mean the key must be lost.

                              The problem is not losing the key. The problem is losing the data files itself.
                              The problem is the operating system, doesn't give us that degree of security, any one can boot to PC using a boot-able float operating system and take what he want. Of-course such type of operating systems are out of windows standards.
                              Do you know what wee need "we" the users of LB for database security, we need a folder the program can access to files inside but the user can not without a password. All third party programs prevent any object from accessing inside the folder. Create such folders are under responsibility of operating system.
                              The backup files always don't imply the last records, remember the numbers in last records represents Dollars.

                              You know how MS secure data files in Access, they encrypt them and all files joined together into one file. Access open them some where I don't know where. We just see the backup file as soon as we start. One day the PC crash while I am using Access, I lost all last records I entered.

                              For me the best place to keep my data files safe is inside a good quality flash memory, and the best place for the backup files is in the PC it self. Including many precaution must be taken to protect PC electrically.

                              Regards,

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 29, 2013
                                Latino! I don’t
                                know where from the name came! Anyway, it is not a LB code, it is an MS DOS code,
                                and it contains a series of
                                DOS commands, it was sent by Sarmed and it is working exactly as he described
                                it.
                                You can paste it on a
                                word pad or even a LB editor, but you have to change the extension to *.bat
                                Double click will create a folder named “Privet” another double click a command prompt will ask you if you want to lock
                                the folder, if yes then the folder will be hidden.
                                The third double click
                                will ask you to enter P.W, so if you use “pass” as a P.W, the folder will be
                                shown.

                                It is wrong to call it
                                bat file although the extension is bat. It is called batch file.

                                ________________________________
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 30, 2013
                                  I think the best way to keep saving data with updating to
                                  the last moment and instant backup, is to use external H.D with mirroring.

                                  With mirroring the replication of logical disk volumes onto
                                  separate physical hard disks is done in real time to ensure continuous
                                  availability.
                                  So if you save or delete something on the internal HD of the
                                  computer, the same thing will happen in the external HD instantly
                                  I believe it deserve to read about it.
                                  Regards

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 1, 2013
                                    > I believe it deserve to read about it.

                                    Thank you Henrik,

                                    Have you any link under your hand?

                                    ________________________________

                                    > I always have additional> USB HD to backup all necessary files. and everybody has his own way to keep his files safely.

                                    We all not sure if these equipment are safe, one day I use USB flash of 8G after 15 minute it stopped working forever.

                                    > To have a good and strong
                                    > secured lock for the house door doesn't mean the key must be lost.

                                    For me the best place to keep my data files safe is inside a good quality flash memory, and the best place for the backup files is in the PC it self. Including many precaution must be taken to protect PC electrically.

                                    Regards,

                                  • Henrik
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 1, 2013
                                      Some problems
                                      of using mirroring are that the drives have to be the same size. Some solutions
                                      will simply use the smaller size and ignore the extra space.
                                      And, all
                                      files on the drives are backed-up, including temp files. That's a lot more
                                      overhead.
                                      If you Google “HDD mirroring software" you may find a lot for free.

                                      Here is a useful
                                      link to read about the software

                                      http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17926/use-drive-mirroring-for-instant-backup-in-windows-7/

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 2, 2013