Re: [libertybasic] Re: SCAN

  • Fred Jensen
    Message 1 of 11 , May 20, 2013
      On 5/20/2013 12:29 PM, Rod wrote:
      > I'm not quite sure why you don't value the advice.

      The advice is fine, Richard just said I *must* have a timer loop and
      that's not true.

      > Both the timer
      > statement and the Sleep statement cause the processor to pause and look
      > elsewhere for tasks to do. That might be a background defragmentation or
      > a virus check.

      Windows runs all those things [anti-virus scans, some chron tasks to
      download and sort email, and the like] with my loop running now.
      Windows decides when my program gets CPU cycles and when other tasks do.
      Truthfully, I can't tell.

      > It might work but that is not to say it is good practice or desirable. A
      > microprocessor environment is quite different and endless looping is
      > pretty much the norm. But in a multi tasking Windows environment you
      > should consider what processing cycles you are hogging.

      I don't understand the concern for CPU cycles on a Win 7 machine, it's
      going to be doing something, no matter what until it goes into standby
      from inactivity. My laptop does that as do my Android devices, but this
      desktop doesn't and the idle loop in Windows is shorter that the one I
      built. It happens to be a dual-core but that's really irrelevant. I
      *have* worked on systems where every cycle counted, the Apollo Guidance
      Computer is one example, and we'd never have built a loop like this, but
      this isn't one of those.

      > But hey it works for you and you are achieving stuff so that's all good.

      It's been my experience that the number of latent defects in computer
      code seems to be approximately proportional to the square of the number
      of lines of code. Thus, over the years, I've learned to keep it as
      simple as I can, and give control to something else [like a DLL into
      which I have no visibility] only when it is really necessary.

      The original question concerned how SCAN worked. In its simplest form,
      it works like my loop uses it.

      Regards,

      Fred K6DGW
      Auburn CA
    • Gary Passmore
      Message 2 of 11 , May 20, 2013
        Never mind, Carl. Just to confute me, the double-click started working again, when I tried it once more, as I was copying the pertinent file names/locations to answer your question. Earlier today, it wouldn't work for any of the .exe/.tkn files in my collection.

        I am not surprised by that, either. Stuff happens. LB stand-alone applications that I use every day, occasionally, say one percent of the time, fail with such error messages "invalid brance label," when the label is obviously valid, having been used hundreds of times. I have noted that Windows seems to be confused sometimes, not particularly startling, considering its complexity.

        Thanks for your feedback

        Gary Passmore
        ...from the world according to GaRPMorE