Re: [libertybasic] Re: New Member needing assistance

    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2013
      Am 06.05.2013 14:22, schrieb Marc Rossi:
      > Thanks for posting that , Rod. I will stop using Boolean.

      There is nothing wrong with boolean itself, the change has been done on
      the Windows side.

      Boolean is a 16-bit data type and 16-bit values are now seldom used.

      BOOL on the other hand is a 32-bit integer, which is a LONG in LB.

      Using BOOLEAN for BOOL will result in memory overflows, which in turn
      result in violation errors.

      BOOLEAN was deprecated by Microsoft if you like to say it this way.

    • Ivor
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2013
        Hi Rod, Thanks for the info, I am still having problems. I installed the update, I can now read the help file, but am still getting an error when I try to run the JBasic program.

        A non continuable protection violation

        jbasic.exe
        0.0.0.0
        2be99131
        unknown
        0.0.0.0
        00000000
        c0000005
        0228020d
        1390
        01ce4cf9ac925e9d
        C:\Basic\Just BASIC v1.01\jbasic.exe
        unknown
        ecb27356-b8ec-11e2-9136-902b34a89a3a

        2566645927
        5
        BEX
        Not available
        0
        jbasic.exe
        0.0.0.0
        2be99131
        StackHash_52d1
        0.0.0.0
        00000000
        0228020d
        c0000005
        00000008

        C:\Users\Ivor Cogdell\AppData\Local\Temp\WER708F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
        C:\Users\Ivor Cogdell\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_jbasic.exe_19401dcb31ca524bf188e71832ca76ce56908b_13d5a8bf

        0
        ecb27356-b8ec-11e2-9136-902b34a89a3a
        0

        I am still finding my way around Windows 7, so I think these are the right error logs for it.

        Thanks again,

        Ivor

        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2013
          Am 09.05.2013 23:24, schrieb Ivor:
          > Hi Rod, Thanks for the info, I am still having problems. I installed the update, I can now read the help file, but am still getting an error when I try to run the JBasic program.

          Did you change the DEP setting according to
          http://justbasic.wikispaces.com/Installing_on_Vista ?

          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2013
            How to change Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows 7 and 8 for
            Liberty BASIC or Just BASIC.

            Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a feature that protects our systems from
            viruses and other security threats. Most computer systems are shipped with DEP
            set to protect essential windows programs only. This allows other programs like
            Just BASIC to read and write to memory and files. Some systems are shipped with
            DEP set to protect all programs and so Just BASIC is prevented from running.

            If you are in an office or corporate environment you will need to speak to your
            system administrators and discuss changing the DEP setting. If it is a home
            computer it's your choice.

            To change Data Execution Prevention settings in Windows 7 follow these simple
            steps:

            1) Right click on the Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties.

            2) The System window opens now. Here click the Advanced system settings link in
            the left pane.

            3) The System Properties window opens now. Here click the SettingsĀ… button under
            Performance section under Advanced tab

            4) The Performance Options dialog box opens now. Here select Data Execution
            Prevention tab and then click on the dot to Turn on DEP for essential windows
            programs and services only

            5) Click Apply and Ok and your done.

            To change Data Execution Prevention settings in Windows 8 follow these simple
            steps:

            1) Press Windows key + x, a popup list appears at lower left of your screen

            2) Select System from the list, a windows opens to view basic info about your computer

            3) Select Advanced System Settings in the left hand pane

            4) Click on Settings under the Performance pane, a Performance Options window opens

            5) Click on the Data Execution Preventions tab, click on the dot to Turn on DEP for essential programs and services only

            6 Click on Apply and OK and you are done
          • Ivor
            Message 5 of 9 , May 10, 2013
              Hi all,
              that was the last piece of the puzzle, all systems go. Thanks for being patient with me.
              Just in case you were wondering,I have been using JBasic to plot my metal detecting finds GPS Coordinates onto a field layout.
              My old GPS has a fault on the pinpoint part, so I had to add a correction factor to get the coordinates right.
              What sorts of stuff have you been using Liberty basic for ?

              Warm regards,

              Ivor Cogdell
              Birmingham UK