Re: New Member needing assistance

    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2013
      http://justbasic.wikispaces.com/Installing_on_Vista

      Just BASIC runs perfectly well on win7and win8. So too Liberty BASIC
      Which offers more fun and functionality.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2013
        Best to cut and paste API demo code and change the variable names. Two things to look out for. A lot of old code uses LONG for handle values. You must change this to ULONG. So anywhere a handle is created, a bmp, a device context, a control you must use ULONG. Also the return value BOOLEAN is not valid, it used to be allowed but Liberty has no type BOOLEAN, use LONG instead.
      • Marc Rossi
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2013
          Thanks for posting that , Rod.  I will stop using Boolean.
          Thanks,
          Marc

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2013
            Am 06.05.2013 14:22, schrieb Marc Rossi:
            > Thanks for posting that , Rod. I will stop using Boolean.

            There is nothing wrong with boolean itself, the change has been done on
            the Windows side.

            Boolean is a 16-bit data type and 16-bit values are now seldom used.

            BOOL on the other hand is a 32-bit integer, which is a LONG in LB.

            Using BOOLEAN for BOOL will result in memory overflows, which in turn
            result in violation errors.

            BOOLEAN was deprecated by Microsoft if you like to say it this way.

          • Ivor
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2013
              Hi Rod, Thanks for the info, I am still having problems. I installed the update, I can now read the help file, but am still getting an error when I try to run the JBasic program.

              A non continuable protection violation

              jbasic.exe
              0.0.0.0
              2be99131
              unknown
              0.0.0.0
              00000000
              c0000005
              0228020d
              1390
              01ce4cf9ac925e9d
              C:\Basic\Just BASIC v1.01\jbasic.exe
              unknown
              ecb27356-b8ec-11e2-9136-902b34a89a3a

              2566645927
              5
              BEX
              Not available
              0
              jbasic.exe
              0.0.0.0
              2be99131
              StackHash_52d1
              0.0.0.0
              00000000
              0228020d
              c0000005
              00000008

              C:\Users\Ivor Cogdell\AppData\Local\Temp\WER708F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
              C:\Users\Ivor Cogdell\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_jbasic.exe_19401dcb31ca524bf188e71832ca76ce56908b_13d5a8bf

              0
              ecb27356-b8ec-11e2-9136-902b34a89a3a
              0

              I am still finding my way around Windows 7, so I think these are the right error logs for it.

              Thanks again,

              Ivor

              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2013
                Am 09.05.2013 23:24, schrieb Ivor:
                > Hi Rod, Thanks for the info, I am still having problems. I installed the update, I can now read the help file, but am still getting an error when I try to run the JBasic program.

                Did you change the DEP setting according to
                http://justbasic.wikispaces.com/Installing_on_Vista ?

                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2013
                  How to change Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows 7 and 8 for
                  Liberty BASIC or Just BASIC.

                  Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a feature that protects our systems from
                  viruses and other security threats. Most computer systems are shipped with DEP
                  set to protect essential windows programs only. This allows other programs like
                  Just BASIC to read and write to memory and files. Some systems are shipped with
                  DEP set to protect all programs and so Just BASIC is prevented from running.

                  If you are in an office or corporate environment you will need to speak to your
                  system administrators and discuss changing the DEP setting. If it is a home
                  computer it's your choice.

                  To change Data Execution Prevention settings in Windows 7 follow these simple
                  steps:

                  1) Right click on the Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties.

                  2) The System window opens now. Here click the Advanced system settings link in
                  the left pane.

                  3) The System Properties window opens now. Here click the Settings… button under
                  Performance section under Advanced tab

                  4) The Performance Options dialog box opens now. Here select Data Execution
                  Prevention tab and then click on the dot to Turn on DEP for essential windows
                  programs and services only

                  5) Click Apply and Ok and your done.

                  To change Data Execution Prevention settings in Windows 8 follow these simple
                  steps:

                  1) Press Windows key + x, a popup list appears at lower left of your screen

                  2) Select System from the list, a windows opens to view basic info about your computer

                  3) Select Advanced System Settings in the left hand pane

                  4) Click on Settings under the Performance pane, a Performance Options window opens

                  5) Click on the Data Execution Preventions tab, click on the dot to Turn on DEP for essential programs and services only

                  6 Click on Apply and OK and you are done
                • Ivor
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 10, 2013
                    Hi all,
                    that was the last piece of the puzzle, all systems go. Thanks for being patient with me.
                    Just in case you were wondering,I have been using JBasic to plot my metal detecting finds GPS Coordinates onto a field layout.
                    My old GPS has a fault on the pinpoint part, so I had to add a correction factor to get the coordinates right.
                    What sorts of stuff have you been using Liberty basic for ?

                    Warm regards,

                    Ivor Cogdell
                    Birmingham UK