Re: [libertybasic] How to share parameters among different programs

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2013
      Am 29.04.2013 19:39, schrieb David Speck:
      > Directly, no, but the easiest way would be to put the parameters in a
      > text file on the hard drive, like the .INI files used by many programs,
      > and read them in as soon as the next program module loads.

      CHAIN was only needed because the programs must not exceed 640kB in QB.

      LB doesn't have this limitation.

      If you still like to develop in program modules, use CommandLine$ to
      retrieve parameters forwarded by the command line through RUN.

    • alastair gray
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
        As a regular ,though passive participant in LIberty Basic chat. I was more actibve in 2005 but since then I have moved on from Liberty Basic and occasionally dabble in Visual Basic and Visual Basic for applications.
        I would be intrigued to know what advantages are apparent in LB relative to other versions of Basic and to get some idea of the professional reasons that people continue in LB. Is LB for professional programmers, hobbyists or cutting edge programmers?

        regards, Alastair Gray

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
          First and foremost it is simple, simple to assimilate, simple to use. It is powerful and relatively fast compared to old BASICs. It has few size restrictions, programs can be large, numbers can be large, datasets can be large. It is multi talented in that it handles numbers strings sound and vision, its serial capabilities give it access to external data. It is net and web aware. The community support is outstanding and effective.

          I have seen a myriad of applications being developed over the years. What depth does a tanker need in Dubia?, How hot is a hydrogen fuel cell in Turkey? GPS mapping of pipe runs in Australia, a shop epos and stock system, Kitchen CAD in USA...... in addition to the much loved bouncing ball and maths demos none of us can resist running.

          So no, it is not a toy it has had many robust applications developed. I would say they are all "custom" built. I believe users find it flexible and easy to use and so develop their own solutions. I see fewer "turnkey" systems developed with it but I am sure there are some.

          Bottom line for me is that few folks could afford the programming costs of a VB or other OS build.

          However, yep there is a however, what is large? What I see these days is that enormous data resources become available to folks and they seldom evaluate the processing requirements correctly.

          Liberty can churn through megabytes of data either in memory or from disc but you must evaluate your processing time. Dummy up the process with dummy data and time how long your processing takes. Liberty can maintain 70MB of data in memory, you must page in and out from file if the data volumes are larger. Processing time is likely your only hurdle.