Re: [libertybasic] Re: Installing LB on Win 7

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      Am 18.02.2013 15:00, schrieb Gordon S:
      > If it is of any interest I just now dragged a copy of LB v4.04 from the Program Files of Win XP to the Root, and then uninstalled it from the Program Files. The new one in the Root still appears to work OK along with all the Help. So I can only assume I have still retained my Registration privileges and will not discover any limitations in its use.
      >
      > So presumably the same trick will work with Vista and Win 7 etc.

      In general program files have to be stored in Program Files, since this
      is a specially protected area.

      Files changed by the user do not belong to the program files area, but
      to the user area, like My documents and such.

      The restriction to store only essential application files to the program
      files area was introduced in Windows 95, the problem is that it was
      enforced only starting with Vista.
      This is a result of being backwards compatible to 16-bit software of
      Windows 9x.

      LB is 32-bit software, so we are no longer storing files in the
      application installation folder.
      In addition the operating system has become multi-user-aware, so user
      created data is stored in the user area.

      Don't try to work around the borders the operating system is enforcing,
      since they have a good reason, even if you don't see them.

      Allow the installer to place the application into the program files
      area, where it is specially protected from getting corrupted by maleware.

      Locate all your personal created data in the users area, where no other
      user can corrupt it.

      It doesn't matter if there is only one user using the system or many, it
      is the way things are working today and how they will do in the future.

      The times of Windows 95 and 98 have long gone, get up to date and play
      by the rules of Windows XP and higher.