Re: Liberty Basic .ini files

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2013
      Vista/Win7 and Win8 use UAC on a mandatory basis. This means program file data and user data are kept separate and protected. Program files are isolated and protected and user data is segmented for each individual user so protecting user data.

      Liberty .bas files and the tutorials and all of the data associated with Liberty is stored separately from the liberty.exe and support .dlls

      Have a browse at this FAQ

      http://basic.wikispaces.com/Installing_on_Vista
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
        Am 08.02.2013 17:25, schrieb Rod:
        > Vista/Win7 and Win8 use UAC on a mandatory basis. This means program file data and user data are kept separate and protected. Program files are isolated and protected and user data is segmented for each individual user so protecting user data.
        >
        > Liberty .bas files and the tutorials and all of the data associated with Liberty is stored separately from the liberty.exe and support .dlls
        >
        > Have a browse at this FAQ
        >
        > http://basic.wikispaces.com/Installing_on_Vista

        In short, on Vista and above everything that is changed by the user is
        now in the correct place at "%APPDATA%\Liberty BASIC v4.04".

      • bsquires10
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 14, 2014
          Stefan,
          I've just moved from win XP to 64-bit Win 8.1.  Liberty Basic 4.04 is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Liberty BASIC v4.04\ (my C: drive is an SSD) and my basic programs are stored in my user area on my D: drive (which is a normal HD). Whenever I run Liberty Basic I get an error message box saying "Error writing lbasic400.ini" which reports that it is "Unable to write lbasic400.ini file. This can happen when running Liberty BASIC from a CDROM ...".  Unfortunately it doesn't provide me with any information about where it is trying to write the lbasic400.ini file, or other information. My programs seem to run OK but I must be doing something wrong -  I just don't know what!
          Please can you help me resolve the problem? Thank you,

          Bob
        • Rod Carty
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 14, 2014
            I also have LB 4.04 on a W8.1 computer. I got no error and everything is
            on my C: drive. I have no such file on my C: drive.

            --
            Rod Carty
            http://www.en-consult.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 15, 2014

              Did you allow the install to use it's default parameters? If so the program files will be in Program Files (x86) and the support files and demo code will be in the User App Data directory.

              If you forced the support and demo files into the Program Files (x86) folder windows will be protecting that file area.

              Here is the install faq have a browse.

              http://basic.wikispaces.com/Installing_on_Vista

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 15, 2014
                Am 14.04.2014 15:02, schrieb bob@...:

                > Stefan,
                > I've just moved from win XP to 64-bit Win 8.1. Liberty Basic 4.04 is
                > installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Liberty BASIC v4.04\ (my C: drive is
                > an SSD) and my basic programs are stored in my user area on my D: drive
                > (which is a normal HD). Whenever I run Liberty Basic I get an error
                > message box saying "Error writing lbasic400.ini" which reports that it
                > is "Unable to write lbasic400.ini file. This can happen when running
                > Liberty BASIC from a CDROM ...". Unfortunately it doesn't provide me
                > with any information about where it is trying to write the lbasic400.ini
                > file, or other information. My programs seem to run OK but I must be
                > doing something wrong - I just don't know what!
                > Please can you help me resolve the problem? Thank you,

                First, I would not direct the initial post of a question to an
                individual member of this group, always direct it to the group.
                Members tend to be absent from time to time, so you won't get an answer
                in a timely frame.

                Second, I don't have Win8 nor Win8.1, I am still happily using Win7, so
                I can't help in this regard.
                On the other hand this is the first occurrence of such an error, since
                the INI file is placed into "%APPDATA%\Liberty BASIC v4.04" where the
                user has full control.

              • rod_bird001
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 15, 2014

                  Actually playing a little more I find I can replicate the problem on Win8.1

                  Normally my PC responds instantly to a double click on the Liberty BASIC v4.04 icon. But sometimes, and I don't quite know in what circumstances, the system is slow to respond. I then believe my double click has gone unnoticed and I double click again.

                  In these circumstances two instances of Liberty are opened and the second flashes up the .ini error dialog.

                  At other times Liberty fires up immediately and it is impossible to double click fast enough to make the error happen I just get two or more instances of Liberty opening normally.

                  So it seems there is a clash when this "delay" occurs and Windows is trying to establish two instances at "exactly" the same time.

                  Close one instance of Liberty when you get the error and you should find the first instance sitting open at exactly the same screen coordinates.

                • Bob at Gmail (POP3)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 16, 2014

                    Thank you Rod and Stefan for your responses (apologies Stefan for addressing my initial problem to you personally).

                    I think I have now got to the bottom of the problem and resolved it. I believe it arises as a result of running LB 4.04 on Win 8.1 from my personal ‘Bob’ login, which I deliberately chose not to give Administrator privileges. To install LB (which I did using the default install options) I had to run as the ‘Admin’ account, so a directory “C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Liberty BASIC v4.04\” was created, containing the .ini file amongst others.

                    However, when I run the LB 4.04 program from my usual ‘Bob’ login it tries to create a .ini file in the “C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\Liberty BASIC v4.04\” directory – which doesn’t exist!  I’ve now copied the whole “Liberty BASIC v4.04” subdirectory and its contents from the ‘Admin’ user data area  to an equivalent point in my ‘Bob’ user area and everything now runs fine. Thanks again for your help

                    Regards,

                    Bob