Coding educational program for students of biblical Hebrew

  • LMB
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2012
      About 20 years ago I wrote a program in Basic under Dos that parsed Hebrew verb forms. It teaches the user a logical procedure to identify the various verb through a series of multiple choice and yes/no input. So it not only parses the form, it teaches what questions to ask to identify the form in question.

      Here is some Liberty Basic code that will give you an idea of how the first version would look:

      [loop]
      cls
      print " "
      print " "
      print "What is the vowel of the first consonant?"
      print " "
      print "1) qamets"
      print "2) pathaq"
      print "3) hiriq"
      print "4) qabbuts"
      print "5) holem(waw)"
      print "6) shewa"
      print " "

      input a$
      print " "
      if a$="1" then print "What is the vowel of the second consonant?"
      if a$="2" then print "Is the second consonant doubled (dagesh forte)?"
      if a$="3" then print "Is the second consonant doubled? (dagesh forte?"
      if a$="4" then print "Is the second consonant doubled follow by holem(waw)?"
      if a$="5" then notice "Qal active participle"
      if a$="6" then notice "Qal perfect/passive participle/imperative/infinitive construct"

      print " "
      input e$
      if e$="y" then notice "Pual infinitive absolute"
      print " "
      if e$="n" then print "Is the second consonant doubled followed by shewa or pathaq?"
      print " "
      input d$
      if d$="y" then notice "Pual perfect"

      input c$
      if c$="y" then notice "Piel Imperative/Infinitive Construct"
      print " "
      print "1)pathaq"
      print "2)suriq"
      print "3)holem(waw)"
      print "4)shewa"
      print " "

      input b$
      if b$="1" then notice "Qal Perfect"
      if b$="2" then notice "Qal Passive Participle"
      if b$="3" then notice "Qal Infinitive Absolute"
      if b$="4" then notice "Qal Imperative/Infinitive Construct"
      print " "

      goto [loop]

      The master flow chart is here:

      http://www.animatedhebrew.com/charts/strong_verb_flow_chart.pdf

      This should give you an estimate of how much time you would need to write the code.

      I am open to any possibility with regard to your fee. Since I do not have any up frchont money for the project, I am looking for a programmer to be paid as units are sold or have a percentage stake in the enterprise, % 25 for you and &75% for me. As a part owner of the company, you would also be committed to developing new versions and fixing any bugs. My 75% stake is for my designing the product and supplying the necessary knowledge of biblical Hebrew. I should also wish that the program be entirely mouse-driven so that the user would not be distracted by keyboard input.

      I also have another concept or program that is more ambitious, that identifies every form in the Hebrew Bible. There is a hard copy of this book, but it would be great to have it as a computer resource. It is, in effect, a linguistic "Answer book" for Biblical Hebrew forms.

      If interested, please let me know if you would want to discuss the proposed project. I have every reason to think that the program would be of educational valuable program and also a commercial success.

      The choice of the programming language would be up to the programmer, as long as it can input, search and ouput biblical Hebrew and be entirely mouse driven.

      Lloyd Barre, PhD
      619.302.4038
    • green8819
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2012
        Hello,

        I had intended to post my "Drvg36.bas" soon after the topic, "ShiftTest" (correctly spelt now) ends.

        This is a MCQ test program. You can modify to suit your requirements. It is free. If you feel it shouldn't be, you can make a donation to Shoptalk Systems.