Re: [libertybasic] pausing for input in window type text

  • mike -
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
      Hi,

      Welcome aboard. Since you are already a graduate in QB, you can learn LB pretty fast. The difference between the two is, LB has GUI mode in addition to Console mode. This GUI creates windows which are strikingly similar to (or same as) those produced by Microsoft. But LB is much easier. That's what makes it interesting.

      Hey Sarmed, how about a simple demo for our friend. Here's a chance for you take a breather from your usual complicated stuff. That is meant to be a compliment.

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
        No Sir Not me, You are the teacher.
        Remember how you pull my bones out of flush, when I
        wrote a wrong code sentence.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7, 2012
          What is the prompt dialog used for? ..... check GUI\Built-in Dialogs in Help file.
          what windows to use? .................... check GUI\Window Types in Help file
          what window types to use? ............... check GUI\Window Types in Help file
          what controls to use? ................... check GUI\Controls in Help file
          Any examples? ........................... check Keywords in Help file

          Here is something to start with.

          '---code start
          'Form created with the help of Freeform 3 v07-15-08
          nomainwin 'to use only GUI mode
          WindowWidth = 300 :WindowHeight = 220
          UpperLeftX=int((DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2)
          UpperLeftY=int((DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2)

          statictext #w.stName, "What is your name?", 45, 30, 120, 20
          textbox #w.tbxName, 45, 50, 100, 25
          button #w.ok,"OK",[accept],UL,150,50
          statictext #w.stAns, "", 45, 120, 200, 20
          button #w.again,"Again",[again],UL,45,145

          open "Lesson 1" for window as #w
          #w "font arial 10" :#w "trapclose [quit.w]"
          #w.again "!hide" :#w.stAns "!hide"

          [getName]
          #w.tbxName "!setfocus"
          wait 'wait here for user input

          [accept]
          #w.tbxName "!contents? name$"
          #w.stAns "Your name is ";name$
          #w.again "!show" :#w.stAns "!show" :#w.ok "!hide"
          wait

          [again]
          #w.tbxName "!selectall" 'previous name ready for deletion
          #w.again "!hide" :#w.stAns "!hide" :#w.ok "!show"
          goto [getName] 'or loop

          [quit.w] 'End the program. This is important.
          close #w 'This is important.
          END
          '---code end

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2012
            Its more like what kind of control to use rather than what kind of window. There are two text controls textbox and texteditor. Textbox is easy to use. The help file usually has working examples of all the controls so get familiar with them.

            ' set up a small window in the middle of the screen
            nomainwin
            WindowWidth = 550
            WindowHeight = 410
            UpperLeftX=int((DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2)
            UpperLeftY=int((DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2)

            ' set up the controls that will be displayed in the window
            statictext #main.name, "Enter your full name", 80, 20, 244, 20
            statictext #main.age, "Enter your age", 80, 80, 244, 20
            textbox #main.namebox, 80, 40, 300, 25
            textbox #main.agebox, 80, 100, 100, 25

            ' put a button on the screen to action the input
            button #main.getinput,"Enter",[getinput], UL, 80, 140, 60, 25

            ' open the window and set where it goes if the user closes it
            open "User Input" for window as #main
            print #main, "trapclose [quit]"

            ' now sit and wait for user input
            wait

            ' when the button is clicked this code is actioned
            [getinput]

            print #main.namebox, "!contents? Name$"
            print #main.agebox, "!contents? Age"

            notice "We have been told"+chr$(13)+Name$;" is ";str$(Age)

            ' now sit and wait for the user to reenter or close window
            wait

            ' when the user closes the window this code is actioned
            [quit]
            close #main
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2012
              Also meant to say that the window type TEXT is rarely used and has limited functionality so try and ordinary window with controls, as I posted.

              Help File says
              "Windows of type "text" are quite limited in their functionality. They are not meant to contain other controls."
            • green8819
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2012
                The questions you asked are the very same ones I asked when I started off with LB. Answering them directly would help.

                "how do I stop my program so that I can input text ..."

                You use the 'wait' command.
                Type a ' in front of wait (it will become 'wait) and run to see what happens.

                "is there any way to control where the built-in dialog boxes appear?"

                As Rod has explained, what you probably mean is statictext or textbox or buttons...etc.
                Try changing the "30" and "50" to some other values in the following and see what happens.
                statictext #w.stName, "What is your name?", 45, 30, 120, 20
                textbox #w.tbxName, 45, 50, 100, 25

                "My main problem is with what kind of window to use for what in LB"

                Here again, you are probably asking what kind of controls.

                Very briefly, if YOU want to display something, like "What is your name", you use 'statictext

                If you want the USER to enter something, you use 'textbox'

                Happy programming.

                --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "green8819" <green8819@...> wrote:

                > What is the prompt dialog used for? ..... check GUI\Built-in Dialogs in Help file.
                > what windows to use? .................... check GUI\Window Types in Help file
                > what window types to use? ............... check GUI\Window Types in Help file
                > what controls to use? ................... check GUI\Controls in Help file
                > Any examples? ........................... check Keywords in Help file
                >
                > Here is something to start with.
                >
                > '---code start
                > 'Form created with the help of Freeform 3 v07-15-08
                > nomainwin 'to use only GUI mode
                > WindowWidth = 300 :WindowHeight = 220
                > UpperLeftX=int((DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2)
                > UpperLeftY=int((DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2)
                >
                > statictext #w.stName, "What is your name?", 45, 30, 120, 20
                > textbox #w.tbxName, 45, 50, 100, 25
                > button #w.ok,"OK",[accept],UL,150,50
                > statictext #w.stAns, "", 45, 120, 200, 20
                > button #w.again,"Again",[again],UL,45,145
                >
                > open "Lesson 1" for window as #w
                > #w "font arial 10" :#w "trapclose [quit.w]"
                > #w.again "!hide" :#w.stAns "!hide"
                >
                > [getName]
                > #w.tbxName "!setfocus"
                > wait 'wait here for user input
                >
                > [accept]
                > #w.tbxName "!contents? name$"
                > #w.stAns "Your name is ";name$
                > #w.again "!show" :#w.stAns "!show" :#w.ok "!hide"
                > wait
                >
                > [again]
                > #w.tbxName "!selectall" 'previous name ready for deletion
                > #w.again "!hide" :#w.stAns "!hide" :#w.ok "!show"
                > goto [getName] 'or loop
                >
                > [quit.w] 'End the program. This is important.
                > close #w 'This is important.
                > END
                > '---code end
                >

                > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "petypie2594" <petypie2594@> wrote:
                > >
                > > how do I stop my program so that I can input text in a text window?. right now I am using the promp dialog for this purpose.
                > >
                > > also, is there any way to control where the built-in dialog boxes appear?
                > >
                > > I am very familiar with qbasic by-the-way from a number of years ago.
                > >
                > > My main problem is with what kind of window to use for what in LB.

              • Brian Taylor
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 7, 2012
                  On 07/09/2012, at 12:57 PM, "petypie2594" <petypie2594@...> wrote:

                  > how do I stop my program so that I can input text in a text window?. right now I am using the promp dialog for this purpose.
                  >
                  > also, is there any way to control where the built-in dialog boxes appear?
                  >
                  > I am very familiar with qbasic by-the-way from a number of years ago.
                  >
                  > My main problem is with what kind of window to use for what in LB.

                • petypie2594
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 7, 2012
                    Thanks much. I am very unfamiliar with GUI stuff (obviously) but have a fairly good grasp on the conditional and looping code and have experience with string handling. I'll keep pecking away and be back with more questions. pp

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 7, 2012
                      Thanks a lot. I am learning this GUI stuff bit by bit. May I offer a thought? I don't think it is necessary to intergerize screen positions. Also I want to get rid of the accept button and simply utilize entry with a carriage return chr$(13). I like the fact that I can position the window and box where I want. It is a cute little gray window to which I am going to add a menu of my own. That way, one window will serve multiple purposes - good idea? I can't believe all the replies I am getting. Thanks to all. pp

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 8, 2012
                        OK, the INT() is just habit. Here is a sample that shows the Enter key catch 22 How do you key a newline in a text control if Enter takes you to the end? You can force Enter to auto complete if you use a dialog window and a button called button.default.

                        Now try and key multiline text in the text box.

                        Windows has a GUI working practice, tabbing usually moves from one input control to the other, a final enter button normally allows the user to say ok I'm done editing and entering lets move on. But you can do your own thing to.

                        ' set up a small window in the middle of the screen
                        nomainwin
                        WindowWidth = 550
                        WindowHeight = 410
                        UpperLeftX=(DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2
                        UpperLeftY=(DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2

                        ' set up the controls that will be displayed in the window
                        statictext #main.name, "Enter your text", 80, 20, 244, 20
                        statictext #main.age, "Enter your age", 80, 130, 244, 20
                        texteditor #main.namebox, 80, 40, 300, 75
                        textbox #main.agebox, 80, 150, 100, 25

                        ' put a button on the screen to action the input
                        button #main.default,"Enter",[getinput], UL, 80, 190, 60, 25

                        ' open the window and set where it goes if the user closes it
                        open "User Input" for dialog as #main
                        print #main, "trapclose [quit]"

                        ' now sit and wait for user input
                        wait

                        ' when the button is clicked this code is actioned
                        [getinput]

                        print #main.namebox, "!contents? Name$"
                        print #main.agebox, "!contents? Age"

                        notice "We have been told"+chr$(13)+Name$;" is ";str$(Age)

                        ' now sit and wait for the user to reenter or close window
                        wait

                        ' when the user closes the window this code is actioned
                        [quit]
                        close #main
                        end

                        --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "petypie2594" <petypie2594@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks a lot. I am learning this GUI stuff bit by bit. May I offer a thought? I don't think it is necessary to intergerize screen positions. Also I want to get rid of the accept button and simply utilize entry with a carriage return chr$(13). I like the fact that I can position the window and box where I want. It is a cute little gray window to which I am going to add a menu of my own. That way, one window will serve multiple purposes - good idea? I can't believe all the replies I am getting. Thanks to all. pp
                      • Marc Sabau
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 8, 2012
                          Hi,
                          I've worked and written again the program as below :
                          ' set up a small window in the middle of the screen
                          [START]
                          nomainwin
                          WindowWidth = 550
                          WindowHeight = 200
                          UpperLeftX=(DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2
                          UpperLeftY=(DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2

                          BackgroundColor$="cyan" 'Setup the colors
                          TextboxColor$="yellow"
                          ' set up the controls that will be displayed in the window
                          gosub [Chimes]
                          gosub [CloseMain] 'Close the window if already in use
                          statictext #main.name, "Enter your name", 80, 20, 200, 18
                          textbox #main.namebox, 300, 20, 200, 25
                          statictext #main.age, "Enter your age", 80, 50, 100, 18
                          textbox #main.agebox, 300, 50, 50, 25

                          ' put buttons on the screen
                          button #main.default,"Enter",[GETINPUT], UL, 150, 90, 100, 25
                          button #main.default,"End",[ENDINPUT], UL, 300, 90, 100, 25

                          ' open the window and set where it goes if the user closes it
                          open "User Input" for dialog as #main:mainflag=1
                          print #main, "trapclose [ENDINPUT]"

                          ' now sit and wait for user input
                          wait

                          ' when the button is clicked this code is actioned
                          [GETINPUT]
                          print #main.namebox, "!contents? Name$"
                          if Name$="" then
                          gosub [Tada]
                          C$="You have to type a name at first !"
                          notice C$
                          goto [START]
                          end if
                          print #main.agebox, "!contents? Age$"
                          Age=val(Age$)
                          if Age$="" then
                          gosub [Tada]
                          C$="You have to type an age !"
                          notice C$
                          goto [START]
                          end if

                          notice Name$;" is ";str$(Age)+" years old !"
                          goto [START]

                          ' now sit and wait for the user to reenter or close window
                          wait

                          ' when the user closes the window this code is actioned
                          [ENDINPUT]
                          gosub [Tada]
                          C$="Do you Really want to QUIT ?"
                          confirm C$;R
                          if R then close #main:end
                          goto [START]

                          [CloseMain]
                          if mainflag then mainflag=0:close #main
                          RETURN

                          [Tada]
                          playwave "tada.wav"
                          RETURN

                          [Chimes]
                          playwave "chimes.wav"
                          RETURN
                          Cordially,
                          Marc (a great french snails eater).

                          Tell me please if there is somewhere a mistake with my english speaking.