Data folder security

  • Sarmed
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
      It's a big problem if the user or someone opens the files of database which carrying data and plying with, that's could destroy the file putting the user into disaster condition.
      Is there a way to prevent the user from opining the folder or the file which contains data files, but the program can access the necessary files normally?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
        Am 07.07.2012 07:55, schrieb Sarmed:

        > It's a big problem if the user or someone opens the files of database which carrying data and plying with, that's could destroy the file putting the user into disaster condition.
        > Is there a way to prevent the user from opining the folder or the file which contains data files, but the program can access the necessary files normally?

        You could set the hidden attribute of the file/folder.

        Generally, if a user is corrupting the files by manually changing them,
        it is his responsibility.

        If you don't use sequential files, then file corruption is rather
        seldom, since the user can't make heads or tails of the content.

      • Sarmed N.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2012
          > You could set the hidden attribute of the file/folder.

          It is not sufficient, actually it didn't work with many people.
          They are variant type of people Stefan. Also the programmers of MS Access suffering from the same problem.
          If you know any way or idea to hide folder or block user from open it, while LB can access the files, that will be very good.
          An idea coming in my mind now. It's to put an extension to data files related to another LB program we wrote. After double click it's run that program and displays a warning message to the user, I wonder if it is work!
          Dear Stefan, any idea come to your mind will be welcome.
          Thank you very much

          Best Regards
          Sarmed

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2012
            Am 07.07.2012 10:20, schrieb Sarmed N.:

            >> You could set the hidden attribute of the file/folder.
            >
            > It is not sufficient, actually it didn't work with many people.
            > They are variant type of people Stefan. Also the programmers of MS Access suffering from the same problem.
            > If you know any way or idea to hide folder or block user from open it, while LB can access the files, that will be very good.
            > An idea coming in my mind now. It's to put an extension to data files related to another LB program we wrote. After double click it's run that program and displays a warning message to the user, I wonder if it is work!
            > Dear Stefan, any idea come to your mind will be welcome.
            > Thank you very much

            If the users are too dump to be kept from changing files that are
            created by programs, they should just learn from their mistakes.

            There is no way to keep a dump person from doing dump things.

            I see two options here:

            1) attrib +h +s {your file}
            To hide the file and make it a system file,
            which gets special protection by Windows

            2) encrypt the contents of the file, so it is no longer man readable
            A simple XOR encryption should be sufficient
            At start of your application, you decrypt the file to be able to
            work with it.
            Before ending your application, you encrypt it.
            On a crash both, the decrypted and encrypted, files would be present,
            so you would have to check for that situation.

          • Sarmed N.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2012
              Thank you Stefan,

              It's more than enough for this problem.