False warnings from Avast antivirus

  • Gordon S
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2 8:12 AM
      Beware if you are having trouble with AVAST antivirus I just come across this helpful thread at
      http://www.sigord.co.uk//TEMP/Resolved%20Question.pdf
      I too just suffered from this disaster with Avast, and not thinking of running a backup or know how to stop more dangerous updates from Avast I gave up. I have lost a years subs with Avast by uninstalling it and moving to AVG. I wonder if we are legally entitled to compensation.

      I got suspicious when it suddenly claimed ALL of my programs were perhaps infected. Though NONE of the distributors hosting such complained. In fact 5 including the massive CDNET / ZDNET had just accepted 2 more.

      Gordon S.
    • Gordon S
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3 12:22 AM
        Someone is claiming such false warnings are due to new tests being made on software. So it appears to be claiming that one day distributors will be subjecting all the millions of software they host to some fancy new tests someone has dreamed up, and resulting in possibly thousands being suddenly removed from their databases. Otherwise it would be illogical to subject only new software, and not bother with millions already hosted.

        Gordon
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3 10:46 AM
          I moved to Microsoft's own antivirus software and it has been trouble free. It seems to integrate very well, I am never conscious of it intruding. It keeps itself up to date and covers all of the usual risks, mail, browser, downloads etc. Best of all it is a free download.

          http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials

          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon S" <gordonsweet2000@...> wrote:

          > Beware if you are having trouble with AVAST antivirus I just come across this helpful thread at
          > http://www.sigord.co.uk//TEMP/Resolved%20Question.pdf
          > I too just suffered from this disaster with Avast, and not thinking of running a backup or know how to stop more dangerous updates from Avast I gave up. I have lost a years subs with Avast by uninstalling it and moving to AVG. I wonder if we are legally entitled to compensation.
          >
          > I got suspicious when it suddenly claimed ALL of my programs were perhaps infected. Though NONE of the distributors hosting such complained. In fact 5 including the massive CDNET / ZDNET had just accepted 2 more.
          >
          > Gordon S.

        • net201416
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4 2:21 AM
            --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon S" <gordonsweet2000@...> wrote:

            > Beware if you are having trouble with AVAST antivirus I just come across this helpful thread at
            > http://www.sigord.co.uk//TEMP/Resolved%20Question.pdf
            > I too just suffered from this disaster with Avast, and not thinking of running a backup or know how to stop more dangerous updates from Avast I gave up. I have lost a years subs with Avast by uninstalling it and moving to AVG. I wonder if we are legally entitled to compensation.
            >
            > I got suspicious when it suddenly claimed ALL of my programs were perhaps infected. Though NONE of the distributors hosting such complained. In fact 5 including the massive CDNET / ZDNET had just accepted 2 more.
            >
            > Gordon S.

            What dates does the pdf you posted refer to?
            AVAST shows a selection of your files to be clear for me! There is nothing ominous on the Avast forum [url]http://forum.avast.com/%5b/url] currently. There was an issue of lots of false positives in 2011 but that was soon corrected. I suppose it is possible that your AVAST installation has somehow used an incorrect definitions file, but it all looks good to me.
          • Gordon S
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4 6:17 AM
              I must apologise for all the repeated Postings of mine before. I was trying to insert a link to my site not realizing the Delete option in these Groups does not actually delete anything once posted and sent out.

              The problem may have been due to a new heuristic method of detection suddenly used by Avast and perhaps a very few other Antivirus. It was giving a false warning on all programs of mine created by another Basic, and I thought it might also be doing so with my LB programs, but I could be wrong. Also attempts to alter the code involved only had a temporary success. So I decided not to take a chance and transfer to using AVG already in use on another PC not giving such warnings. Though few Distributors appear to be using this dubious method of detection at present, one wonders what will happen if many more antivirus and distributors decide to use it.

              Gordon S.
            • Gordon S
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5 12:48 AM
                I assume Carl you have never had any proven complaints of Virus / Malware regarding any heuristic method of detection. This presumably is more likely because the exe file with packages including LB runtime files is the same say RUN403.EXE just renamed to match the relevant TKN file? Other Basics create a different exe file for each program.

                Gordon S.