CSV save

  • RipSaw
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1 6:32 AM
      Is there a way to write into the program a command that will send
      file to a csv file so I dont have to c/p it?

      I did look at the help files - only found disk commands seq and random
      access.

      X$ = "##########"
      Y$ = "################"

      For X =-20 to 160000 Step 500

      Y=3*X^2-450000*X-5129993

      Print Using(X$,X);:Print " , ";:Print Using(Y$,Y)

      Rem I made this up for this example

      Open for output "Quadraticgraph.csv"

      Print #2, Using(X$,X);:Print " , ";:Print Using(Y$,Y)

      Next X

    • John Fisher
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1 7:50 AM
        Hi Kurt
        Happy New Year...
        Glad you're still working with LB
        You were nearly there.
        Try

        nomainwin
        X$ = "##########"
        Y$ = "################"
        Open "QuadraticGraph.csv" for output as #outFile
        For X =-20 to 160000 Step 500
        Y = 3 *X^2 -450000 *X -5129993
        #outFile Using( X$, X); ","; Using( Y$, Y)
        Next X
        close #outFile
        end

        You can also write text to a csv file by putting a " symbol at either
        end of the "text or word",
        It may help to define q$ as chr$( 34), and you can then print to a csv
        file things like

        c$ =chr$( 34)
        #outFile using( "###.#", 100 /3);","; c$; "JohnF"; c$; ","; 3.14159

        which will create a csv line with a number in stated format, a string,
        and another number.
        33.3,"JohnF",3.14159

        Always a good idea to print them to mainwin as a check...

        c$ =chr$( 34)
        print using( "###.#", 100 /3);","; c$; "JohnF"; c$; ","; 3.14159
      • RipSaw
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1 9:36 AM
          John where did it go? I like to stick on desk top then move to basic Directory.
          Can u tell it to go to the "Desk top?"

          Tried to do a "Search" could not find file "QuadraticGraph.csv"
          Is it in LB Dir?  I feel like a twit, u Gary Passmore, Dr Speck, that genious in Austria spoon feeding me, BUT I cherish you all.  A tall mug to u.  Kurt
          I just ran this:
          goto 10
             X$ = "##########"
             Y$ = "################"
             For X =-20 to 151980 Step 500
             Y=3*X^2-450000*X-5129993
             Print Using(X$,X);:Print " , ";:Print Using(Y$,Y)
             Next X
          10 Rem John's Idea

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1 9:45 AM
            John I sent u an example of "Coin" program around xmas, did u look at it?
            Did u ever get ur machines running?

            Still cannot find that "QuadraticGraph.csv"

            Stefan Thank u for ur past help. All others also.  K

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1 11:13 AM
              John - I cannot find "outFile"  or "QuadraticGraph.csv"
              ran ur example several times.   Went to "Start"  Then "Search programs and files"
              Not in LB Dir.

              Can u send it to the "Desktop?"

              Is "outFile" Sacred? can I call it "DarkAle"?
              Kurt

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1 11:58 AM
                Am 01.02.2012 20:13, schrieb RipSaw:
                > John - I cannot find "outFile" or "QuadraticGraph.csv"
                > ran ur example several times. Went to "Start" Then "Search programs and files"
                > Not in LB Dir.
                >
                > Can u send it to the "Desktop?"
                >
                > Is "outFile" Sacred? can I call it "DarkAle"?
                > Kurt

                #outFile is the internal handle used by the BAS program.

                The CSV file is located where your BAS file is located.

              • RipSaw
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1 12:01 PM
                  Stefan then why cant W7 find it? Kurt

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1 12:18 PM
                    Am 01.02.2012 21:01, schrieb RipSaw:
                    > Stefan then why cant W7 find it? Kurt

                    There are many things changing the current working folder:

                    Where did you save your BAS file?

                    How did you start the LB editor?

                    Did you save your BAS file?

                    If you don't save your BAS file the CSV will be located anywhere.

                    The indexing service is not that fast, that the file can be found
                    through the search and there are locations that are not indexed, so you
                    will never be able to find the file if it is located there.

                    Don't let the system control you, control the system.

                  • RipSaw
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 1 12:52 PM
                      BINGO! Thank u Stefan. IT WORKED! now I know when I work in LB I MUST Save file First.
                      Thank u VERY MUCH.  Thank u Stefan.  Kurt

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 1 1:05 PM
                        Am 01.02.2012 21:52, schrieb RipSaw:
                        > BINGO! Thank u Stefan. IT WORKED! now I know when I work in LB I MUST Save file First.
                        > Thank u VERY MUCH. Thank u Stefan. Kurt

                        You can check where your files go to by printing the DefaultDir$ variable.

                        '---code start (watch for line wraps)

                        Print "MyFile.txt is located in ... "; DefaultDir$

                        Open "MyFile.txt" for output as #file

                        '---code end

                      • David Speck
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 1 1:15 PM
                          Kurt,

                          You can specify where you want the file to go by putting the directory
                          into the file name variable.

                          For example,

                          Open "C:\QuadraticGraph.csv" for output as #outFile

                          Will put the file in your main directory in the C: Drive.

                          It's probably better to make a now folder like "LB" under the C: drive,
                          and then put your output files into it with

                          Open "C:\LB\QuadraticGraph.csv" for output as #outFile

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 1 1:17 PM
                            Thank u Stefan.   It works!  Been playing with it now for 20 min.
                            What time is it there? here 416pm
                            Kurt

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 1 1:20 PM
                              Am 01.02.2012 22:17, schrieb RipSaw:
                              > Thank u Stefan. It works! Been playing with it now for 20 min.
                              > What time is it there? here 416pm
                              > Kurt

                              Its 10:19PM here in Austria.

                              If you want to have full control over the files location, do as David
                              suggested and use a full path.

                            • RipSaw
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 1 2:03 PM
                                D how do i tell it "Desktop"?

                                ________________________________
                                You can specify where you want the file to go by putting the directory
                                into the file name variable.

                                For example,

                                Open "C:\QuadraticGraph.csv" for output as #outFile

                                Will put the file in your main directory in the C: Drive.

                                It's probably better to make a now folder like "LB" under the C: drive,
                                and then put your output files into it with

                                Open "C:\LB\QuadraticGraph.csv" for output as #outFile

                                Dave

                                On 2/1/2012 12:45 PM, RipSaw wrote:
                                > John I sent u an example of "Coin" program around xmas, did u look at it?
                                > Did u ever get ur machines running?
                                >
                                > Still cannot find that "QuadraticGraph.csv"
                                >
                                > Stefan Thank u for ur past help. All others also. K
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • paradisejb
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 1 2:34 PM
                                  --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Pendl <pendl2megabit@...> wrote:

                                  > Am 01.02.2012 21:52, schrieb RipSaw:
                                  > > BINGO! Thank u Stefan. IT WORKED! now I know when I work in LB I MUST Save file First.
                                  > > Thank u VERY MUCH. Thank u Stefan. Kurt
                                  > >

                                  > You can check where your files go to by printing the DefaultDir$ variable.
                                  >
                                  > '---code start (watch for line wraps)
                                  >
                                  > Print "MyFile.txt is located in ... "; DefaultDir$
                                  >
                                  > Open "MyFile.txt" for output as #file
                                  >
                                  > '---code end
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  > Stefan Pendl

                                  If I'm not sure where my bas file is, or I'm not sure where a new file will be saved, I open a debug window and check 'Show default variables'. I can then see the full path for DefaultDir$ and StartupDir$ locations.
                                • David Speck
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 1 2:43 PM
                                    Kurt,

                                    The Desktop is a "special" folder in Windows. Each user account has a
                                    different Desktop folder. The actual full path to get to the desktop
                                    can be a little convoluted to find.

                                    I'm not at a Windows 7 computer right now, but on this XP machine, the
                                    full path to the desktop is:

                                    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\

                                    where "Owner" is the name of the account I'm running under. It will be
                                    different on your machine. A Win 7 machine may have even a different
                                    arrangement. Just can't tell you right now.

                                    I believe that LB and/or Windows has a problem with folder (directory)
                                    names that contain embedded spaces, like "\Documents and Settings\".
                                    You may have to experiment with enclosing the folder name in double
                                    quotes to make it work right, or you may have to replace the spaces with
                                    underscore ("_") characters. I never took the time to play with that
                                    and figure it out precisely. I just made a specific directory without
                                    embedded spaces in the name, like "Excel" and wrote my files there.

                                    Dave

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 1 2:54 PM
                                      Am 01.02.2012 23:43, schrieb David Speck:
                                      > Kurt,
                                      >
                                      > The Desktop is a "special" folder in Windows. Each user account has a
                                      > different Desktop folder. The actual full path to get to the desktop
                                      > can be a little convoluted to find.
                                      >
                                      > I'm not at a Windows 7 computer right now, but on this XP machine, the
                                      > full path to the desktop is:
                                      >
                                      > C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\

                                      You can use the procedure posted at
                                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/libertybasic/message/41359 to get the
                                      special folders known by Windows.

                                      CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY is the one you are looking for.

                                    • Glen McInnis
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 1 5:16 PM
                                        Check out the following link, concerning the "GetSpecialFolders" function
                                        posted in 2010 by Stephan. It will return various directory locations.
                                        The provided listing within comments is extensive. If you need a specific
                                        folder in the list, pass to "GetSpecialFolders" the converted hexadecimal
                                        value given.

                                        Here is an instance where I use the function just passing a hard coded
                                        decimal value. I have tested this as correct on XP, Vista and Windows 7.

                                        UserDir$ = GetSpecialfolder$(5)
                                        RootDir$ = mid$(UserDir$,1,2)
                                        RootUser$ = Word$(UserDir$, 3, "\")

                                        AllUsersDir$ = GetSpecialfolder$(35)

                                        On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM, RipSaw <rij4360@...> wrote:

                                        > **
                                        >

                                        > Is there a way to write into the program a command that will send
                                        > file to a csv file so I dont have to c/p it?
                                        >
                                        > I did look at the help files - only found disk commands seq and random
                                        > access.
                                        >
                                        > X$ = "##########"
                                        > Y$ = "################"
                                        >
                                        > For X =-20 to 160000 Step 500
                                        >
                                        > Y=3*X^2-450000*X-5129993
                                        >
                                        > Print Using(X$,X);:Print " , ";:Print Using(Y$,Y)
                                        >
                                        > Rem I made this up for this example
                                        >
                                        > Open for output "Quadraticgraph.csv"
                                        >
                                        > Print #2, Using(X$,X);:Print " , ";:Print Using(Y$,Y)
                                        >
                                        > Next X

                                      • Glen McInnis
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 1 5:28 PM
                                          Stephan,

                                          Forgive me for not seeing that you had already posted concerning
                                          GetSpecialFolders. Your input and help among others has been excellent,
                                          much used and very appreciated. This forum is just as much a part of LB as
                                          LB itself. I have found that anybody can ask anything and will receive the
                                          best of replies.