RE: [libertybasic] Re: USB data transfer

  • KW Hipps
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 11, 2011
      Thanks to everyone for their advice.

      KW

      At 01:06 PM 9/12/2011 +1000, you wrote:
      >The software that came with the device should have included drivers and
      >examples for other programming languages.
      >It should be possible to adapt the examples for use with Liberty.
      >Without the device to play with, it is difficult to be much help.
      >Having a driver and an example in 'C' would be a great place to start.
      >
      >Jim

      K.W. Hipps
      Chairman, Department of Chemistry
      Fellow of the ACS, APS and of the AAAS
      Professor of Chemistry & Materials Science and Engineering
      PO Box 644630
      Washington State University
      Pullman, WA 99164-4630
      (509) 3353033 (509) 335-2942
      http://www.wsu.edu/~hipps/
      http://www.materials.wsu.edu/

    • John Fisher
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 12, 2011
        Hi KW
        You've clearly got the general idea of how LB tackles USB devices.
        For further ideas you could look at http://www.diga.me.uk/in.html where
        put most of my LB programming output.
        Look for the links to 'serial port programming' and 'UBW'.
        Hope it goes well- you'll get lots of rapid help here.
        JohnF
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 12, 2011
          I spent a little time searching but did not find any VB examples of working with this device. If you could point us to them we could show you how to structure some calls to the driver.

          I have to say that you have choosen perhaps themost difficult route to interfacing. It does seem that the device comes with a library of calls and procedures, you will need to understand these calls convert them to LB syntax and handle all of the messaging, timing and response handling inside LB.

          If the device meets very specific nees then it might all be worthwhile. If you just have some simple AD reading to do then some of the other serial devices that have been mentioned will be far far easier to work with.

          I wrote an interface to the Velleman development board some time ago. News Letter 113 I think. It shows the kind of things you will need to do as it uses a .dll and makes calls to it. Having done it once I wouldnt recommend it to anyone, serial is a lot easier.

          --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Hiley" <jim@...> wrote:

          > The software that came with the device should have included drivers and
          > examples for other programming languages.
          > It should be possible to adapt the examples for use with Liberty.
          > Without the device to play with, it is difficult to be much help.
          > Having a driver and an example in 'C' would be a great place to start.
          >
          > Jim

        • laurie camion
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 12, 2011
            Here's an LB example from their forum http://forums.labjack.com/index.php?showtopic=1620%c2%a0 I no longer have the device myself and it was many PC's ago.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 12, 2011
              yeah that was me...

            • laurie camion
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 12, 2011
                <lauriecam2006@...> wrote:

                > Here's an LB example from their forum
                > http://forums.labjack.com/index.php?showtopic=1620%c2%a0 I no longer have the
                > device myself and it was many PC's ago.

              • Brian Schmalz
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 13, 2011
                  Depending upon what you're trying to do, a UBW or UBW32 could be a good option (this may have been mentioned before). You can easily talk to them from LB using the OPEN command (to open a COM port connection up to them) and then send them simple commands.

                  And the UBW32 just got analog input commands, so now both boards can do analog input as well as digital I/O.

                  *Brian

                  <lauriecam2006@...<mailto:lauriecam2006%40yahoo.com>> wrote:

                  > Here's an LB example from their forum
                  > http://forums.labjack.com/index.php?showtopic=1620 I no longer have the